I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Senior Project

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Senior Project

Post by Twist »

No, not that kind of senior. The school here that all my kids have attended let the kids off from classes for the last 3 weeks before high school graduation to have a life experience and present an oral report on it. My 17 year old daughter came to me yesterday and asked me if we can do a couple of weeks of adventure riding and we've been brainstorming an appropriate theme for her senior "experience." I'm looking for ideas that would make for a fun 2 week adventure tour (dual sport bikes) that has some academic value. Things that have come to mind so far:

- Trail of Tears Adventure Trail from N. Georgia to Oklahoma following the path of the native Americans that were driven from their homeland. Too depressing.

- Bluegrass Music trail through Appalachia experiencing the culture and music of the region - might have to be 21 for some venues.

- BBQ Snobs on Bikes - a trip from Maryland through the south to Texas sampling the best of regional Q (my favorite thought so far)

- Baseball parks across the country to discover who has the best ballpark hotdog. Might struggle to find the academic angle on this one.

- The Great Immigration Crisis ADV Ride where we ride the southern border from Texas through New Mexico and Arizona to California journaling what she experiences along the way. Would this be somewhat risky?

- Lewis & Clark discovering a path to the Pacific (might take longer than a couple of weeks).

She'll want to use her motorcycle, a Yamaha XT250 due to its very low seat height but I'll want to take my big ass BMW for hauling our camping gear and such. We'll probably avoid any technical off-road but will try to stay on back roads paved and unpaved for the ride.

This will be the latter half of May so we should have great weather no matter where we go. You guys have any ideas for what we should do?
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: Senior Project

Post by Laoch »

Kentucky Bourbon Trail?
Bruce
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Chase the CCC projects and history. Most all our parks were built via CCC efforts. Pa Grand canyon has a good presentation that plays at the visitor center. This would connect you with just about every state park in northern Pa. I think Blue Ridge parkway and Skyline Drive also were CCC projects but not 100% on that.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Lumber history around Cass WV. Lumber camps in winter had recorded temp of 30 below. Make ice slides to get timber to the trains. Order for the Wright brother plane was supplied from the mill at Cass. You have Greenbank just up the road with all the look into space stuff and think military time is set there also. Endless back roads to explore. Tons of history. Ride the Shay loco to the landing where some of the timber equipment is on disply and then to the top where you look down on Greenbank......all radio silent area. Rooms at Snowshoe or in town of Cass they have restored village homes that can be rented. Also start of Greenbriar rail trail if you want to push peddles for a while
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Laoch wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:02 am Kentucky Bourbon Trail?
I think my wife and I are doing this with another couple in the fall after our kids go off to college. Their daughter is going to be a Kentucky Wildcat so they'll already be in the area! Not sure we'll do this on the bike or in the Miata.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Boom Boom wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:28 pm Lumber history around Cass WV. Lumber camps in winter had recorded temp of 30 below. Make ice slides to get timber to the trains. Order for the Wright brother plane was supplied from the mill at Cass. You have Greenbank just up the road with all the look into space stuff and think military time is set there also. Endless back roads to explore. Tons of history. Ride the Shay loco to the landing where some of the timber equipment is on disply and then to the top where you look down on Greenbank......all radio silent area. Rooms at Snowshoe or in town of Cass they have restored village homes that can be rented. Also start of Greenbriar rail trail if you want to push peddles for a while
Those are all great ideas Mike. I've very familiar with the area around Cass/Pocahontas County and I've left several soft compound tires worth of rubber out there on the sport bikes. These types of rides may turn out to be more appropriate than a 2 week adventure on the bikes far from home. She's only done day rides with me so far so a multi-day trip might be adventurous enough!
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

The CCC camps would connect many state parks, mostly on mountains and sub 45mph roads and plenty of dirt roads.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Break the Lewis and Clark up some maybe into 2 legs? Anything that is not depressing and influenced by current world ism's- that's why I love camp/riding, the original social distancing!
Lots of cool bikes---
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Do you like Civil War history? Our area is steeped in major battle sites. Gettysburg, Antietam, Manassas just to name a few. There are also a ton of smaller skirmish sites that have just as interesting stories; the Shenandoah valley is covered with them plus that area would be a wonderful place to spend a week wandering around on two wheels.

IMHO, wtih a new rider on a small 250, I would not reach too big. One of my biggest mistakes with my son has been pushing him into bikes and trails he was not ready for and it set the entire process back.

Cherish this opportunity, I think it will be one both of you will remember for a long time. Completely Jealous.

SJ