I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Autel ODBII Scanner Issue - Beware

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Autel ODBII Scanner Issue - Beware

Post by Firebolter »

I recently bought a Autel MK808BT PRO ODBII scanner. I want to be able to do ABS bleeds, reset codes and the usual maint stuff. I have an older small handheld that can pull and erase codes, but the bigger tablet style have BT ODBII interface and can give you all the supporting info for each code so you don't have to go look it up etc. Run all kinds of diagnostics etc.

Amazon had a decent price and included a bore scope camera, so I bought it off the Autel Store on Amazon. It arrived and when I opened it, one of the USB cables was out of it's little plastic bag but the zip tie was in the little bag? You could clearly see the zip tie was taken off and put back in the bag as it was completely untwisted and folded in half. Okay, so I take the unit out and turn it on and it comes up and has a user profile already in it! According to the "Quick Start" guide it should have come up to a registration series of screens, nope this one just popped up to the desk top! So I hook up the wireless and look for how to register in the menu's and I find the unit already had a profile for a Male(Exact name not important!) and his Arizona phone number and address. So I was sent a returned unit that was already registered to someone but advertised as new? They didn't even put the USB cable back in the package, just shipped it out! I just returned it and glad I bought it from Amazon vice other options, as I am getting 100% of my money back and no cost for the return shipping. The unit seemed nice, well made and very intuitive but it just irked me a bit I was sent a returned unit but advertised as **NEW**

So if you do buy one, even from the Autel Store on Amazon, when you power it up, go into the profile area and make sure it is truly new and not used. Hopefully this is a rare issue but in my searching now, I see this has happened to alot of folks, getting a unit previously owned with a profile already in the unit, and they thought they were buying new.
Lots of cool bikes---
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Re: Autel ODBII Scanner Issue - Beware

Post by smdub »

People use things and then return them "new". Its what society has come to unfortunately. I knew a guy once who admitted he even bought a shrink wrap machine back in college to be able to swap in his old busted stuff and return to stores as new. Real POS.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

In my follow on research, apparently this is happening ALOT! Found quite a few reviews online about he same situation I experienced. Here's what I have found out. When I sent my "comments" to Amazon, I got the "your comments were received and will be reviewed". I got an email today that said your comments were approved or posted or whatever. So I go to Amazon to look for them, and of course, they (Amazon I mean) only display the "good reviews" up front, they are not posted chronologically. To find my 1 star comment, I had to click on the 1 star comments section and then it was there as I typed it in. So even Amazon does a disservice (IMO) to customers by burying/ordering reviews based on "stars" instead of time/relevance.

The fact that someone sent it back and it wasn't even checked and "re-packaged" correctly says a lot. If you look at some of the "5 star" reviews, man they look like a bot wrote them, or some goof paid to provide positive reviews. Well as long as things are 100% returnable and you get your money back, guess that's all you can do! BUT BE CAREFUL. People who bought form others sources got burned as "Autel USA" doesn't recognize any warranty etc. unless you buy from them-
Lots of cool bikes---
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I'll wager that it was shipped and sold by someone other than Amazon. I've had that issue when it didn't come from Amazon.

This has been going on for a long time. I remember back in the '80s the Dad of a friend broke down on a trip. He bought a toolbox with socket set, fixed his car then cleaned up the tools and returned them. His Dad wasn't poor but he sure was cheap.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Got this email today-they shifted the blame to Amazon and maybe it is Amazon screwing up returns and re-selling-
I also go the email from Amazon that the unit I returned Monday was received and my return will be processed in 2-3 days!
Love the Chinese customer support of saying you have experienced a problem "We notice that you recently have met the problem on Autel MK808BT PRO"
so now when you come upon a problem, you have met it! Makes it sound like it was expected eventually!

I don't want a discount, I wanted a NEW item. I shouldn't have to work with a vendor to wipe previous profiles. Once returned it should be sold again as "USED" or "REFURBISHED" for a discount. I am sure alot of people would want the cheaper option, but not me. I wanted new-
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope this message finds you well.😊

We notice that you recently have met the problem on Autel MK808BT PRO about "I received the unit and opening the packaging. First sign of an issue was USB cable out of it's bag and the twist tie was in the plastic bag by itself? ...".

We sincerely apologize for all the inconvenience caused to you. For returned products, Amazon has its own set of judgment standards, but obviously this standard is wrong, they often judge whether a product is sellable again only based on the appearance of the product. we sellers couldn't know anything about that unless the customer contacts us for that. We are really sorry that this happens to you.

Anyway, we apologize again for the inconvenience. As a responsible seller, we will offer you a satisfied solution.

Solution 1):

If possible, could you please send us the S/N (12 digits, at the back of your device, below the barcode, eg: VB7GL6C0142*)? We can help you delete the registration information on your device, and then you can re-register it and enjoy 1-year update service again (no paid).

Besides, We are willing to refund you 100 USD to compensate for the inconvenience caused.

Solution 2):

If you do mind it, we totally respect your return choice. You may contact amazon to return it back. If possible, could you please choose the "DEFECTIVE" option when you return it, so that Amazon will not ship this unit out again.

we are willing to refund you an extra 50 USD to compensate for all the inconvenience caused.

Dear friend, do you prefer Solution 1 or 2? Or do you have any other advice? Please feel free to contact us and we will take it seriously. If you agree to our above solution, could you please contact our after-sale department via the email below?

autelchoice
@
outlook
com

Very sorry for the inconvenience again. We sincerely hope you can forgive us and give us a chance to make it up to you.

We are waiting for your reply on email day and night!
Best Wishes,
Gina
Lots of cool bikes---
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

This is too funny-So I reply to the above and politely say it is not my issue to resolve with Amazon. I ordered NEW and did not receive new so I sent it back. Amazon is refunding me and I consider this situation closed.

within 30 min, I get this reply from Autel!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear William,
Thank you so much for your kind reply.
Firstly, please accept our sincere apologize for all the inconvenience.
Because customer satisfaction is our top priority, we want to make sure you are 100% satisfied with. So I hope we can work this out together.
Dear friend, we do really hope you can give us a chance to make up for you, and trust Autel again.
Here are the action we have done and the solution. Hope to occupy a little of your time to read it.
1) The action we have done: we have added related descriptions on the product page to avoid this happening again (Attached the screenshot for your reference) . We value our customers' opinions and views, and hope they can get a great purchasing experience.
2) We also hope you can get a new scanner to repair your car. In this case, I would like to give you a 70% discount to reorder it. If you still receive the defective item this time, I would like to make a full refund and you don't need to return it. And you can keep it.
Dear friend, is this acceptable for you?
If you accept the solution, could you please contact us via the email below? I will make a code and send you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The screen shot sent to me was they added a comment on the Amazon page that reads, if you receive an Autel scanner and decide to return it, please mark it as defective. Okay, so maybe Amazon is the real culprit here? SO now I am thinking, if they are willing to give me 70% off on another one, should I try again? I mean I have to say, they have been quick to respond and did offer me choices to resolve. Just leery about trying again-might ask for the code just to see how it may work out?
Lots of cool bikes---
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Rut Row wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:10 am I'll wager that it was shipped and sold by someone other than Amazon. I've had that issue when it didn't come from Amazon.

This has been going on for a long time. I remember back in the '80s the Dad of a friend broke down on a trip. He bought a toolbox with socket set, fixed his car then cleaned up the tools and returned them. His Dad wasn't poor but he sure was cheap.
Back in the hey-day of Sears and their "unconditional returns guarantee," my Dad had a friend who every year would buy an entire campsite's worth of gear -- tent, sleeping bags, cots, stoves, utensils, pots, pans, etc -- go on his annual trip, then return it all the following Monday. Every year. Incredible.

FWIW, this is what I use for OBDII work --

Amazon OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows

It uses your phone for the interface, linked through bluetooth so you can continue to use the Internet for research while connected to the device.

For software, I use AlfaOBD, full version. The demo version is satisfactory for reading diagnostics and resetting codes and such, but the full version (costs $49), I was able to enable features in my vehicle. I used this combination to enable the backup camera on my truck after I installed an aftermarket camera, which normally you would need to go to the dealer to enable the option or you would pay the vendor $50 or whatever it was for a dongle whose sole purpose was to enable this one feature, so it was a no-brainer to go the "useful in the future" route.

Thanks,

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I actually have that same ODBII interface module (ODBlink Mx+). I was using it with the software on my phone "ODBlink" and it works okay. Even has a "draggy" like display for 60 foot, 330 1/4 mile etc. I'll look in to that other app you mentioned. I still want a nice one that can do the active testing on the various systems. I may take them up on their offer and re-purchase the Autel unit for 70% off, that's a pretty good deal and the fact that if the second one arrives and it has a profile on it and is not "NEW", they refund me all my money and I can keep the unit. And it comes with that borescope which allows you to take pictures or video and it is saved on the pad and you can email it to yourself or remove the SD card it has/stores data on.
Lots of cool bikes---
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

The pro version of alfaodb has an intimidating amount of access into your car. I wouldn't say it has the prettiest interface when you dig deep into the subsystems, but I think I would be hard pressed to say it wasn't extensive.

But my experience is just this one task so maybe there's more available. Certainly the interface could be better. If you have any experience with snmp (network management, not email), I liken it to a raw snmp navigator, as opposed to a manufacturer interface with limited queries and commands, but pretty interface.

Anyway, I'd be more than happy to let you take it for a test drive before dropping the dough on getting your own if your replacement device doesn't work out.

Thanks,

Patrick

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Jtrobb
DAMN Expert

Post by Jtrobb »

Isn't AlphaOBD strictly for dodge/ram/chrysler/fiat products?