I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Kendon 3 rail towing question

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Kendon 3 rail towing question

Post by Twist »

I've used a Kendon 3 rail for towing my dual sport and dirt bikes back and forth to Mountain Ridge from Annapolis and made that trip many times. I'm going to be putting that trailer to a different use this week when I need to tow my 1200GS along with my kid's XT250 and I'm puzzling over proper loading. I'm reading anecdotal accounts that loading heaver, longer wheelbase bikes on the outer rails (leaving the middle rail open) may move the CG too far aft to be stable (lightening the tongue weight). The other option is to put the GS on the middle rail and the XT on the side if they'll fit that way. It just seems odd to not spread the weight wider across the trailer but I guess given the weight difference in the two bikes that's going to be more or less the case either way.

I guess another option is to load the outside rails and add some weight to the front of the trailer to get the tongue weight right.

Any thoughts guys? Give me a sanity check on my thinking here.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: Kendon 3 rail towing question

Post by Laoch »

I would think your tank should be in the center. And your little bike on the outer rail.
Or take your WR?
Bruce
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Laoch wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:39 am I would think your tank should be in the center. And your little bike on the outer rail.
Or take your WR?
I'm still waffling on the bike choice Bruce. I really want to take the WR but it's not completely set up for multi-day camping trips. I have a tank bag with a SAE bulkhead on it for charging stuff in there. If I have time this week I'm going to hack my accessory wiring to power it up and then I still might take it. The other thing I'm trying to do is keep my daughter's XT lightly packed (which means me carrying more). This will be the first time she'll have been on the bike all day much less several days and yeah, I'm kinda throwing her in the deep end a bit. She's a competent dirt rider but having a high CG is not fun for any dual sport ride. I think there's only a couple of rocky sections in Bald Eagle and maybe one other place so I'm not expecting her to be challenged by that but hey, that's why it's called an adventure :)

If I haven't mentioned it, we're leaving Thursday morning from Annapolis to ride through Michaux before connecting on to the PA Wilds BDRX loop. The plan is to camp every night on the BDRX and be gone about a week, maybe more if we extend in to Western Maryland on the long way back home.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Yup. Given that, the big Beemer seems the right choice.
Bruce
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Yeah, take the GS. Pack everything you will both need. And the kitchen sink ;)

I don't think L/R loading on a trailer is all that important. Definitely not nearly as important as tongue weight.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
UncleND
DAMN n00b

Post by UncleND »

As long as you have adequate tongue weight it should tow fine. 10% is kinda standard so around 120lb.
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

smdub wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:49 am Yeah, take the GS. Pack everything you will both need. And the kitchen sink ;)

I don't think L/R loading on a trailer is all that important. Definitely not nearly as important as tongue weight.
That's my plan Stephen. She's got a fair amount of grit but this will be a big and challenging thing to be on the bike for several days without seeing a hotel room. I'm getting her to assist/follow me through all the planning and pre-ride checklist and I want her to feel like she could do this again on her own when we're done. Her school has a great outdoor program taking the kids on Noles type experiences every year so she's competent in the wild. One the program mantras is that we hope for good weather but know that some of the best memories are made in challenging conditions. Personally, I've seen enough camping challenges in my life so I'm hoping for fine weather :) Right now the forecast is excellent.
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Loaded and ready to head out in the morning.

Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Enjoy and safe travels.....making memories for sure
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr