I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Sur Ron Tuning. aka geek speak.

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: Sur Ron Tuning. aka geek speak.

Post by Laoch »

I ordered a QuietKat. :shrug: More to follow.

edit- https://quietkat.com/pages/pioneer-electric-bike

They were running a military discount. 20% saved me like $500.
I had been looking for a e-mtn bike for a while. But my budget was only $2k. Had to be forestry legal. This bike was on my list.
I have a mtn bike that I use, but this is more for longer, leisurely exploring of gated roads in Michaux.

750 watts, hub drive, 460 watt hr? single speed gears with 5 levels of assist. And a thumb throttle.
Good thing I have a moto hitch hauler, cuz this tank ain't fitting on a bike carrier.

Got it assembled, looks like decent quality Chineseium stuff. IDK. Hoping to test it out soon.
Bruce
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Looking forward to hearing about how it's working for you. Having sold my SurRon X I've been thinking about an E-MTB. Bill let me ride his Luna X Enduro with the ludicrous controller and it's pretty cool and far from the most expensive choices out there. I'd never heard of this one until you posted about it.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

How is it forestry legal having a thumb control? I was told only e-assist to peddle is allowed. If it can power without peddle then a no go.....but see them everywhere. Good luck to the rangers cracking down on that.
Seems like a bunch of bike (tank) for the $$$$.
Popular with hunters. Some nice options to go with them.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

there are many more options now than just 2-3 years ago when I bought mine. I didn't want to spend 5-7K like you easily could for a mainstream brand e-MTN bike, so the X1 was perfect for what I wanted at the 3K price point. Bike is still working great and I ride it quite often. Same deal, 5 levels of assist and a thumb throttle I never use. Good battery life.True that the "thumb throttle" makes it illegal to ride some places, but like you said Mike, good Luck policing that-
If the bike uses a Bafang motor/controller (like the Luna does), I have the tool to change the programming. When I first got my X1, the programming was kinda "herky jerky" when the pedal magnet/sensors would register. Got an update SW build from Luna and that transformed the bike! Made the power levels way more linear and no more jerky response when you start to peddle. So having the ability to tune mattered to me and so the X1 fit all the stuff I wanted.

Still use my Surron to run up to the store or go cruise my trails behind my house. That thing is just fun. We got my GF a Sonders folder eBike with the 20inch 4inch wide tires and that is a cool bike that was only 1600.

I am not ready for full size e-vehicles. They are fun toys but not practical enough for my world that I would want one for the road.
Lots of cool bikes---
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

With a name like Bafang it has to be good.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Bafang is prob the biggest name in e-bike motors. To be honest, I'd rather have one of those than a Trek or Specialized or anything proprietary. In a couple years when something breaks you'll be able to get parts or a new updated replacement that fits the Bafang. Simply a massive aftermarket for them. Can almost guarantee you'll be sitting on a heavy pedal only bicycle (or totally broken) when the proprietary systems die.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee