I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

UHD in the front and HD in the rear!

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

UHD in the front and HD in the rear!

Post by Firebolter »

Prepping up the 300 for another 60 hours of fun. Last trip to Utah/Colorado finished off the Dunlop GEOMAX AT81's I had on there. Those are good tires!

I have a set of Kenda TrackMasters, so I decided to put them on. I also have tubes but they are UHD and HD's. Did the rear yesterday and didn't have any issues. Put the tires out in the sun for 45 min and they were pretty easy to deal with. Took my time and was able to get the HD tube in and stem lined up, she dropped right in. Put in 4 lbs of air and spoon the tire on. Put ~40 lbs in it to set the bead and done! Too easy. Got busy watching F1 qualifying and decided to finish up the front today.

Got the old front tire off this morning and sat it and the new tire out in the sun. Spooned off the old tire and tube. It was crusty! Bearings look/feel okay and everything feels tight. Got the new front on one side and started to put the UHD tube in. If you have never used one of those, they are THICK! I mean like "whole lotta Rosie" thick-thunder thighs thick! Got it in there and got the stem in the right area for the hole. Now, those thick ass tubes and my fat boy fingers just aren't good friends-time to get the stem in the hole-

I effed with that thing for 15 minutes, pouring sweat and cussin! Walked away and came back to it a bit later. The tube is so thick I just couldn't get my fingers in there enough room to get the stem to bend down and drop in the hole. So I had one of dem DAMN epiphanies! I grabbed the large curved tire iron and slid the curved end in as I held the tire out and was able to push the stem over and it dropped in! YEAH! Funny how small accomplishments like that means so much and are so gratifying! New Kenda's for the year. Man, getting those tubes out is gonna be fun next time!

Went ahead and freshened up the tranny oil with some 85W gear oil. New air filter and cleaned up the airbox. Drained the little bit of old gas I had in there out. Love the simplicity of the 2 stroke for sure! New plug and chain next!
Last edited by Firebolter on Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of cool bikes---
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Re: UHD in the front and HD in the rear!

Post by smdub »

I bought a UHD front tube by accident. Haven't used it yet but am not looking forward to it. I hate doing fronts anyway since there is less room to get your fingers in there. I've started to use one of those pull-cable things that screw into the stem to help get it through the hole. Its not perfect but it reduces frustration somewhat.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/part ... m-puller-p

I'm thinking of a mousse in the front of the 150 if I ever have to change it again.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Yeah, I have that pull through tool, but like you say, with the little room in a front and the thick tube makes it hard to even use that, so I gave up and went old school! I found that if you get the tube in the tire/rim all the way around and then get it to relax, it makes it a bit easier to work it. Having the rim strip not move and cover the hole helps some too!

Got it all done and glad I did it this weekend when the temps are mellow!
Lots of cool bikes---
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

smdub wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:15 pm I bought a UHD front tube by accident. Haven't used it yet but am not looking forward to it. I hate doing fronts anyway since there is less room to get your fingers in there. I've started to use one of those pull-cable things that screw into the stem to help get it through the hole. Its not perfect but it reduces frustration somewhat.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/part ... m-puller-p

I'm thinking of a mousse in the front of the 150 if I ever have to change it again.
Having that Shinko fatty front gives a little bit more room.

That said, a mousse in the front might be a good idea
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
jgreene
DAMN Expert

Post by jgreene »

The “tube in the tire first” method works best for me with the UHD tubes. Push the stem through the wheel, get the tire over the rim lock, and then start mounting the tire.
Member R&T Club, and GMER