I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Stark VARG

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Stark VARG

Post by Bucho »

phoo wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:04 pm To those with a down payment sent, check your account. My 30 September date just got bumped to 15 December. Hopefully I'll get it in time to ride the hangover hare scramble, though it'd be weird to have my very first ride on it be a race instead of a trail ride.

~Patrick

Let me know when it arrives. Im sure we can set up a ride at my spot.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

So they have. They bumped my (missed) 31 Aug date to 15 Sep. I have little faith in the new date either since its already the 12th. :censored:

In other news, Tucker at ECR has an Ultra Bee with an aftermarket battery that runs farther than the Varg.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

"Farther than the Varg?" How far is that? How much is the aftermarket battery?

I just found a guy who is actually doing enduro stuff on his Varg. Looks good. It's funny, you can actually hear the wheelspin because there's no engine noise covering it up.

From one of his other videos, I think doing a harescramble is totally doable (at least as a C rider; A/B is longer and might be a little too much) and it looks like it would *usually* have enough range for a trip to FRO. The tunable max HP and regen might be something that with enough experience could get that range even farther. Or my habit of "when in doubt, throttle out" means for me it's a total pipe dream. :killingme:

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

When Dan and I ride the KTM-Es together, its pretty cool what you can hear. Controlling traction of the rear wheel using the LHRB is huge since you can hear it skid. Can even talk to one another if there isn't a gasser too close. Sneak up on more wildlife too. Downside is that you have to honk at people you catch. I feel like sort of a dick when it surprises them but don't know of any other way to let them know we are back there. Many just pull immediately off the trail as a total shock probably thinking 'WTF did that guy come from?'

The UB aftermarket battery is 44% larger kWh, so additional range should match. Since we can get about 25mi out of the UB on a stock batt, that would be 36mi. The battery is $5k (OUCH!).
https://parts.electriccyclerider.com/pr ... -ultra-bee

The space under the UB seat is ripe for a 'piggyback' battery in parallel though. Why replace your existing battery w/ a larger one vs just add to it? Not sure you can fit 44% more under there but some solutions are surely in the works. Will be a lot cheaper too.

The UB battery is super easy to swap. No tools needed, very similar to the LB. The Varg... not so much. Its probably going to be cheaper/easier to just get a 2nd stock battery when they become avail. That works *IF* you loop back to the car once in a while. On long out and back trips, you'd need the piggyback or larger primary battery (or both!)

Be careful using videos like the one you posted that extrapolate range using the % drop over a shorter ride. Almost no-one does % accurately. Many base it on voltage which isn't linear. To do a better job you have to do Coloumb counting (Ah). No idea how 'good' the Varg % remaining calculation is. To really know range accurately, you have to run it closer to dead. Think of it like a gas bike. Its hard to estimate fuel left based on where you can see it through the tank. The tank is a funny shape and a fuel level half way down isn't 1/2 range remaining. Electric range should be a better estimate than that but most still haven't nailed it. So I don't trust the Stark % until there is better data. I'm betting the Varg gets ~35 in the riding we do. The KTM-E and UB have about the same battery size and go about the same low-mid 20s mi range. The Varg batt is 50% larger so I think it should hit mid-30s if you ride at the same pace. Its efficiency is likely very similar.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Tucker finally did his range tests:

Got 34mi in fast trail/enduro mode (hey, my estimate was pretty close!). 40hp, 50% regen. Says thats about 10% farther than the Alta MXR.
About 18mi / 1hour w/ pros on MX tracks doing track days (but not in an actual race.)
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

My expected date online is now Nov 15. Not sure I accidentally initially read that as Sept 15 before or they changed it again? Anyway, the wait continues...
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

I got my letter! The email I got had the wrong total (included the price increase, $12999 including shipping) and I was ready to be pissed but when I checked the website it's the original price ($12099 including shipping).

@smdub have you gotten an update about yours actually being manufactured and/or shipped? Did you pay already?

@firebolter any updates on your end?

Anyone else?

Thanks,

~Patrick
1975 Harley FXE1200
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I canx mine-
Lots of cool bikes---
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

I got my letter!

Since the time of order, they've changed from shipping it to your house, to members of their dealer network (no surprise), but what that means is that dealers are charging dealer prep fees, delivery fees, and in some cases, "people will pay over msrp so give us extra money or we'll sell it to someone else" fees.

Turns out our local distributor is JT Motorsports so I'm not at all worried about the extortion fee, but I'm hoping they can just leave it in the crate so I can take it home and not pay those other fees.

I have been reading great things about the fit and finish and promising things about the range, especially for the type of riding I typically do.

Now I just need to decide if the timing is right for me...

Thanks,

Patrick

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

1975 Harley FXE1200
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Yeah, I got the email today too. I think its BS that its going to a dealer now. Mine is Hyser (and you aren't allowed to change it!) I won't pick it up unless its still in the crate. Everything about this experience is pissing me off more and more. Should have bought a used Alta 2yrs ago. Overweight, shitty plastic tubes, tax (though not unexpected), not shipping direct, cold storage issues, and not keeping updated about the true delivery date. In the FAQ, it says it will STILL be another 6-8wks after confirming your order before delivery.

Stark has royally f-ed up the customer experience.

Some folks have told Stark to hold off delivery until the spring. I've asked them about going this route.

Starting to think the Talaria Dragon will be a better woods bike than the Varg too.