I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Stark VARG

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Stark VARG

Post by Bucho »

gots_a_sol wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm AMA has decided to not let E dirt bikes run in any class with gas bikes. District 13 has apparently banned them all together for "insurance reasons"

Didnt they do the same thing to Alta (back when that was a thing) for MX?
Whats the deal?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Bucho wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:18 pm Didnt they do the same thing to Alta (back when that was a thing) for MX?
Whats the deal?
Yes. Likely just E haters. Lots of money by the big manufs in the sport and they don't want to be outclassed.

Now, it appears they like to stand behind the insurance issue to deflect blame. AFAIK E vehicles are no more likely to catch fire than gas ones. I suspect the insurance thing was made-up or they used fear tactics to get the ins co to do that. Medical liability is by-far the largest part of insurance coverage and that isn't really affected by gas or E.

To be fair, I can see not letting them into the same class as the E would likely dominate after things are dialed in. Like letting 250s compete in the 125 class. But should compete as exhibition or non-points until comparable power levels can be determined and locked in by the manufacturer.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

This is literally why they have Open classes. I was hoping to run mine in C-Open, or as that article said, an age-based class. Any argument that they would outperform other bikes in Open would be without merit, as the obvious answer would be "then go buy or build something to be competitive" like it's always been.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Wonder if we could convert SkinnyJ or is it too late now that he went from blue to orange?
https://electroandcompany.com/products/ ... 7442916650
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

They should just make an e-class or a TRUE OPEN class like you guys are talking about, that levels the field. I was just sitting here thinking how this kinda reminds me of the whole "men in women's sports" I'll call it, unfair advantage IRT power available! :killingme:

I do agree they need to find a place for the ebike to race, but I see some peoples points as the motors have to be "grouped" somehow to make it a comparable race. I mean an 80 HP bike against a mid 40HP 250? Maybe go to a HP type classing or just make a pure "E" class and let them rip-

Only other issue is measuring the "power levels" of the Ebike entered to make sure they have not hopped them up to where they have an unfair advantage. With a ICE bike, there is only so much you can do via software/tuning, but eBike, you can do all kinds of mods to the controller and battery and get major gains-How do you regulate that? If you put them into a OPEN class or Eclass only, all of these conundrums go away-
Lots of cool bikes---
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

why not group people by qualifying times? Then have a penalty for sandbaggers who race faster than their qualifying time
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Penalties for sandbagging!

“No really, Im just that slow…”
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Rut Row wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:24 pm why not group people by qualifying times? Then have a penalty for sandbaggers who race faster than their qualifying time
I would like that a lot. Except this is only feasible for motocross. I've had races where I would have had a better finishing position in B than in C because of all of the sandbaggers.

~Patrick
1975 Harley FXE1200
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

More real-world reviews. This is looking great for FRO, etc. 32 miles, avg 12 mph, with hills and technical single track.

"First ride report and range test today at Iron Mountain Park in north GA. This was a mix of fairly technical single track with plenty of hills along with some of the more open SxS trails moving pretty fast (for me). Battery was 98% at the start and 20% at the finish riding 40hp/80% regen. 2hr 12min riding time (measured in Rever) and at the rate I was using I could have run another 20min or so before hitting reduced power mode. Temps were 55-59*F. This is more than enough to wear me out and if I need longer days I can bring a generator. My bike is on the latest SW update.
The Tubliss setup with 11psi made an incredible difference on the trails for comfort alone, I also backed the compression clickers off all 3 clicks and the suspension felt a whole lot better overall. The bike eats up the hills nicely and you can even lug it up them at very low speeds. I’ve found trail-braking is my friend on this thing and it really helps with traction coming out of slow corners with roots/rocks. There’s no problem getting the front wheel up for log crossings and ledges using only the throttle.
For a fun and fast trail bike this thing has me pretty impressed and looking forward to more seat time."

Total time: 3:36
Moving time: 2:12
Distance: 32.4 mi
Avg speed: 12 mph
Max speed: 45 mph
Total ascent: 6743ft

Image links from the post; hopefully this works

1975 Harley FXE1200
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

WOAH! So I found a link to a Stark Varg doing a harescramble that looked promising for me doing the Hangover. But then I found a Stark Varg *DOING* the Hangover Hare Scramble!

This is the the 2024 Hangover Hare Scramble at Wicomico Motorsports Park on January 7, 2024. This is my first race on the Stark Varg and it was a complete mudder. I got the hole shot easily but ended up in 5th in my class out of 18 after a crash, getting stuck on a hill and ending up in a knee deep mud hole. This bike is incredible. I started with 96% battery and finished 3 laps (90 minutes) with 26% battery. I was mostly on 25 and 35HP with around 60 on the regen braking. I think if I stayed on 25 HP I could have done a 4th lap as long as I didn't get stuck or have any major hangups.

One thing to remember about "25 HP" is that you still get all that torque and watching the video he was clearly not lacking for power.

~Patrick
1975 Harley FXE1200