I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

CFmoto ADVlite

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

CFmoto ADVlite

Post by Bucho » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:39 pm

https://www.cycleworld.com/bikes/cfmoto ... irst-look/

I think this has some promise. Its an interesting size, somewhat small but still has a twin for longer road sections.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200

Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: CFmoto ADVlite

Post by Firebolter » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:28 am

It's about time for a mid size twin. These cheaper chinese based bikes will do pretty well I am sure. KYB suspension and it looks pretty sweet. I think KTM, Husky and the other big euro boyz are in for some market share going away. Probably not enough to hurt them, but CFMoto is looking like they have a future-
Lots of cool bikes---

smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:28 pm

Why does anyone want a small twin (esp a low powered one)? Add enough balance shafts and detune a 450 single and you'd have a lighter, smaller, simpler, cheaper engine. Still add all the other ADV bits and bodywork but throw away one intake/throttle body/header. Ok, twins do sound better.

Big twins make total sense. For high output its just impractical to get the flow and rpms required in a big single cylinder. But at 44hp CFMoto has none of that. A modern (redesigned) DRZ400 engine would beat that.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee

Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:41 am

They will be MUCH SMOOTHER at 50-70mph speeds over a single, that's why- Added balancers only do so much to smooth a single out at speed. A lot of new riders just want a smaller, cheaper bike that is not so much a ball buster on a nice longer ride like a DRZ is. For a bunch of new riders It's not always about power and it is not about true dirt worthiness. It is about a cheap, smooth bike to ride to work occasionally and go take a Sunday ride with some friends in the forest roads etc.
Lots of cool bikes---

smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:45 pm

You can make a single vibration similar to a twin. The second piston in a twin is literally a (poor) balance mass. It solves some but adds vibration in a whole different axis. I don't know of any small singles that emply multiple masses but it could be done. The only disadvantage a single has is one pulse per revolution. Trades the out of plane vibration of a twin for a torque based one. Solveable w/ a heavier flywheel (or even a dual mass one like many cars use now.)

It looks like they just used a higher output motor they already had, but detuned. That explains the twin. Cheaper than developing a new motor.

I still contend that a balanced single would be a better motor. Smooth, cheaper, lighter, more reliable(less parts). Just a one trick pony that not many want to spend the resources to develop. Scaling down the newer 690/701 motor would be a sweet little thing.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee

Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:51 am

I think the bike I would be giving serious consideration to in a mid-size ADV bike would be the new Honda Transalp. It looks like a lot of bang for the buck but I haven't ridden one yet. If I were shopping for, say, a TAT bike this one or a T7 might get the nod.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain