I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

supermoto wheels

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
21783mike
DAMN Expert

Re: supermoto wheels

Post by 21783mike »

AccidentalWheelie wrote:i just ordered a set of warp nine sm wheels for my XR650L it was the bare bones kit from motostrano ,should take 1-2 weeks to build them then shipping after. i was tired of burning knobs riding to work and playing around town, should be fun ...DAMN mdubya,rstuckey and their DAMN videos helped influence too :roost: :screwy:

Got a link for where you got them? Been thinking on this myself.
Mike B
08 HYM1100S
08 Raptor 250 SE
06 800SS
87 750 Paso
89 KLR650A
65 H-D M50
64 125 Bronco
AccidentalWheelie

Post by AccidentalWheelie »

AccidentalWheelie

ok my stuff came in today :thumbup: warp9 wheels,continental tires, tubes, sporcket, rotor and adapter, blk super moto frnt fender.....2 questions how hard are sm wheels compared to knobbies to mount?....and where do i find a spoke torgue wrench??? ill get pix tomm before and after install ...i also bought a crf 250 rear fender i am going to try and make happen with a brake light off a polaris predator500(diamond shaped LED) see what happens :smoking:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Harder then knobbies. The last time I was mounting a rear sumo tire, I admit I ended up just taking it to a shop and paying for it.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

post your review of the Warp 9 wheels. If heard mixed reports.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

I change SM tires by hand with the help of my manual tire rig and a couple of tire irons. They are not easy. Patience and a few choice words usually goes a long way. I put on some Pavarotti or some classical music. It usually help calm my inner rage.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
AccidentalWheelie

its messed up too they are black rims ...i guess ill try some electrical tape on the irons or something to keep from scratching them up too bad ..what about the rubber band thats usually over the spoke ends, :screwy: i was thinking duct tape
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

If you plan to do your own tires from here on out, do yourself a massive favor and go to NAPA and buy a gallon jug of RuGlyde.

http://www.vapnapa.com/bk7651338.html

Use it liberally. It dries quickly to a light tack, unlike soap, which stays slippery.

The other key is to lightly inflate the tube before you try to seat the bead, it will help keep the tube from being pinched.

I have Warp9s for my DRZ, except I went from the factory 17" SuMo to 18/21" dirt wheels, which was a huge PITA because of the brake rotors. Nothing wrong with the W9 wheels, however.

Regarding the spoke torque, just tap them with a wrench: if they ping, they're tight. If they klunk, they're loose.
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Post by the dude himself »

AccidentalWheelie wrote:its messed up too they are black rims ...i guess ill try some electrical tape on the irons or something to keep from scratching them up too bad ..what about the rubber band thats usually over the spoke ends, :screwy: i was thinking duct tape
Buy a couple of feet of flexible hose from Home Depot. I've had some luck with 1/2" CPVC as well. Cut it into 6-18" segments and split it lengthwise, then slide it over the rim where you're working. It protects the rims.

BTW - I drilled mine on one side as well and attached some string - got 'tired' of pinched fingers when trying to remove them without knocking them into the wheel.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

AccidentalWheelie wrote:its messed up too they are black rims ...i guess ill try some electrical tape on the irons or something to keep from scratching them up too bad ..what about the rubber band thats usually over the spoke ends, :screwy: i was thinking duct tape
Duct tape will work well for rim strips. Al and the dude give good advice. I always mount the valve stem first and mount the tire over it. The key to easing the tires on is to get the opposing bead pushed down into the channel of the rim. If you can set the tires in a warm room before mounting help them to be more pliable.

dpasseto bought Warp 9's for his YZ 250 F last spring. He is hard on equipment, he raced, jumped, and crashed the Warp 9's with no problems what so ever. He bought a spoke wrench from the wheel supplier and used it to snug the spokes after the first several sessions on the wheels.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC