Rekluse z-start clutch

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Rekluse z-start clutch

Post by Bucho » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:40 am

A lot of the older utility quads are like that. You just shift as you wish w/out worrying about a manual clutch.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Surron UltraBee

OldmanX
DAMN Expert

Post by OldmanX » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:16 pm

[quote="chasbo"]That is wild. I am still having a tough time getting my brain around that as a concept. So when the revs drop down, the clutch will slip on its own, like as if you were feathering it, keeping the motor from bogging down and stalling out?

I only have experience with the Rekluse brand of auto clutch. The Rekluse uses the weight of app. 27 steel or tungsten balls to cause the clutch to engage. The balls are located in a small slot around the OD of the clutch. As engine rpms increase, the balls roll outward in these slots. The slots are "ramped" which allows the weight of the balls to press the clutch disks and the driven plates together. There's a spring installed in the center of the clutch which controls engagement rpm...basically it requires the weight of the balls to build to a point where it overcomes the spring and the clutch/driven plates "lock up". Go to the Rekluse website and you'll see examples of what I'm trying to say.
So, when rpm's increase you have engagement. Drop below that point and the clutch disengages.
530 XCR-W...plated
300 XC
WR450
XR600R...for sale

Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:52 pm

"Could someone explain to me what and how an auto clutch works?"

As the motor spins faster (more throttle) INERTIA forces the balls out in those ramps, pressing the pressure plate down which over comes the center "engagement" spring and engages the clutch pack. When you let off the throttle, the pack spins slower, then there is not enough INERTIA to keeps the balls out and engage the clutch, so the clutch is "dis-engaged" just like pulling the lever in.

All an auto clutch does is use the inertia of the spinning clutch to drive the balls out to force the clutch to engage. YOIu can use a combo of different spring rates or numbers of balls used to tune the "engagement" rpm of the auto clutch.
Lots of cool bikes---

chasbo
DAMN Expert

Post by chasbo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:57 pm

ok, I think I get it. It is sort of what I was thinking. As the revs drop the clutch will disengage without you needing to pull the lever. So you can use the throttle to negotiate technical bits. I also understand that you can set the rpm point where the clutch disengages. That is bad ass! No wonder guys dig this. Gotta add this to the wish list...

Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:12 pm

Yep, you got it. Depending on which one you go with (Like the Z Start Pro), you still have use of your lever to over ride if you want to. But yeah, once you install it, it is just like riding a Z50 or any other minibike with an auto clutch.
Lots of cool bikes---

Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:42 pm

I always thought auto clutches were for "pussies". :harhar:
Well on a bike that will grunt down low without stalling, the A/C might not be your best application. But the higher strung 4-strokes and 2-strokes make perfect use of the A/C.
No stalling, no fanning the clutch, just hang on and go. Amazing at the end of a long hard ride how much more energy you have. You spend more time picking lines and going for it rather than looking at things and thinking if I stall and fall over this sure is going to hurt. :dirtdog: During a very muddy ride this winter, I was able to ride some of the climbs one gear higher and soften the power enough to be one of only a few that made the climbs. :shrug:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Fri May 21, 2010 5:39 pm

Did you know, that if you have to restart when on a steep hill from a dead stop, it isn't good for the clutch if it is in 3rd gear. The good news is you can do it. The bad news is if your friction plates were marginal to start with, you'll wear the little bahstids to the nubbins. :thumbup:

ask me how I know... :boohoo:

new friction plates should arrive mid-week next week.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Post by the dude himself » Sat May 22, 2010 12:38 pm

Kyler wrote:Did you know, that if you have to restart when on a steep hill from a dead stop, it isn't good for the clutch if it is in 3rd gear. The good news is you can do it. The bad news is if your friction plates were marginal to start with, you'll wear the little bahstids to the nubbins. :thumbup:

You are TOUGH on bikes.

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Fri May 28, 2010 9:12 am

the dude himself wrote:
Kyler wrote:Did you know, that if you have to restart when on a steep hill from a dead stop, it isn't good for the clutch if it is in 3rd gear. The good news is you can do it. The bad news is if your friction plates were marginal to start with, you'll wear the little bahstids to the nubbins. :thumbup:

You are TOUGH on bikes.
They just don't make 'em like they used too :screwy:

anyway, I installed new friction plates last night and did a short test ride. After a brief break-in, it works as expected and wheelies on demand. I was worried because I ordered a set of Pro-X OEM plates which included the steel plates and friction disks and the DAMN steel plates didn't fit! Although they are clearly marked for an 07 450 EXC, they would not fit inside the clutch basket. So I carefully inspected the old plates and although they were discolored from heat, they appeared to be otherwise undamaged.

Gotta tell you though, being able to change a clutch in 30 minutes is killer! it was a 1/2 day event to change a clutch in a truck on the farm.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al » Fri May 28, 2010 11:57 am

Yup. Cars & Trucks suck to work on. No doubt about it.

Don't forget to downshift.