I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Junkball Rally - PA to CA on a $500 bike.... wtf....

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Junkball Rally - PA to CA on a $500 bike.... wtf....

Post by hondahawkrider »

This was dreamed up by some guys I ride occasionally - were all on a email forum... It was inspired by the 555 riders, but at least this one isn't requiring pre 1975 and under 500ccs... Anyway, here are the rules

The 2011 $500 JunkBall Rally challenge 2011 is a motorcycle ride, starting in Allentown PA, and ending in San Francisco CA, where participants must ride motorcycles purchased for $500.00 (US) or less for the entire distance. Date in 2011 is to be TBD and the time to ride to CA is approx 1.5 weeks ( Leave on Wed - and take the entire next week.

The Vehicle Rules for the 2011 $500 JunkBall Rally are as follows:

1) All participants must purchase a two wheeled vehicle for $500.00 (US) or less.
2) Any additional costs to repair, outfit, improve, or otherwise modify the entered machine shall be less than $250.00 (US)
(Keep in mind that "costs" are that. If you use crap from around the garage, or steal/borrow from your friend or something like that, that cost is $0. Gifts of NEW stuff do count, so your wife can't give you a set of tires. Even though YOU didn’t spend it, it counts. This is a friendly event, so cheating isn't encouraged. Anyone bending the rules too much might find that people don’t like a smartass, and their batteries might go flat every night, or their keys disappear or something. I’m just sayin’, ya know?
3) In the even a participant should spend more than the allotted $250 for repair, outfit, improve, or otherwise modify; he/she must place an amount equal to 50% of the costs above $250.00 (US) into the "Doughnuts and Prostitutes" slush fund, and will be used for expenses during the event.
4) This $250.00 (US) does NOT include the cost of Registration/Title or insurance Fees.
5) Each entered vehicle must provide a total cost breakdown of monies spent in its purchase and preparation
6) Any vehicle entry can be claimed by any other entrant at the end of the event for the value declared in 5 above. (So you can't get your brother to "sell" you his 2008 Gold Wing for $500 and enter it, unless you want me to own it for $500)
7) A successful completion of the event is for the entered vehicle and rider to arrive under their own power at the prescribed destination. If at any time a entered vehicle completes more than 1/10 of the total miles (as determined by the mob) overland and not under it's own power, it may be DQ'd Or not
Depending on how we feel about it.
7a) When you arrive is of little issue. You either complete the challenge, or not. There is no “Try”.
8) Making fun of other entrant’s machines is heartily encouraged.
9) Giving aid to other riders is mandatory, and just good sportsmanship. Also, see 7a and 8 above
10) For most other decisions, it's "majority rules", so it's good to have friends entered.

Curious to know what folks would consider getting for this... I am on the fence if I am going - depends upon the bike I can find.. I can do standard stuff, but am not Greg - so it would need to be somewhat reliable and not require major work during the trips... Keep in mind that folks are probably NOT riding them back (were working on selling them for scrap or something) it's more for the ride out to CA...

So far one one guys have gotten a bike - older 81 Yamaha Maxim and there have been some suggestions such as http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/1696387836.html which is reasonable... but folks have been considering other odd choices - Like the Helix Scooters LOL...

I have run across a few older Honda 400 Twins for around $500 that might do the job, but what would YOU take...

I know I should have my head examined for even thinking bout it... but it WOULD be an Adventure...
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Junkball Rally - PA to CA on a $500 bike.... wtf....

Post by Bucho »

I'm a pretty poor mechanic, probably wouldn't be a great event for me. However, my first bike was a 82 Yamaha Virago 500 that I purchased for $500. And I rode that bike for about 11 or 12K thousand miles w/ only an oil change or two and a new rear tire.
Tho for the last half of those miles I was bump starting it half the time.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

This could be fun, might start looking for a 500 dollar bargin! I'm thinking some mid range twin like a virago or something! Something really ugly and hideous! But a "Cannonball" format might be more fun! :pimp:
Lots of cool bikes---
B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Post by B DIRT »

shit I only paid 350 for the trail90 and if that cant make it no piece of shit will :thumbup:
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red
1977 CT90
2008 CRF230L (wifeys)
2003 XR650R (crackbabys)
1999 CR80R (crackbabys)
1972 XL250 (crackbabys)
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

Firebolter wrote:This could be fun, might start looking for a 500 dollar bargin! I'm thinking some mid range twin like a virago or something! Something really ugly and hideous! But a "Cannonball" format might be more fun! :pimp:
Do a google search on the BABE rally... Big Apple to Big Easy..... It's with a car instead..

The only issue I have with the JB rally that my friends are putting on is that i'ts CA.... Which is FAAAR on a POS bike and if all goes well is gonna take more than a week of vacation... The nice thing about the BABE rally is that if folks get stranded - they sell the car for scrap and take a cheap flight or bus to the finish, party, and then fly home... On the JB - if my bike craps outs mid way, I really don't want to go to CA, and then go home...

I think it would be far easier and cooler to do a NEBE (NorthEast to Big Easy) and keep it closer - I can't see that not taking as long - and require that pictures of your bike be taken of certain things along the way...That and I know not everyone has $$ to throw put down on a beater... It would be more of a tour thing, but like the BABE you would have challenges along the way.. and by challenges, I mean taking pictures.

For example to name a few
Cabin at the End of 33
snowshoe Ski Resort
Red Rock Weather Station
Motorcycle Store in the Playground at the end of the snake
Highest Spot on the Blue Ridge Parkway
Tree of Shame at Deals Gap
HIghest Spot on the Cherohala Skyway
Barber Motorsports (even work it so there is a race)
Start of the Nachez Trace ( or Ghost Town)
Picture in front of the Cafe De Monde - in the french quarter...

Minimal points for who gets their first - more points for more pics (certain pics would have higher values)
I should think those who underatake it on sub 400cc bikes should get bonus points (fyi a drz is a 398cc) anyone on a sub 150cc or lower should get massive points.. conversely, big bikes that take single track photos should also get bonus pts..
Additonal Points for Group Shots - shit you could run in teams with some shot together - some individual .. etc...

All depends upon interest..

2013 Honda CB1100
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Cool concept, I like the smaller more points, larger off road more points etc.......

I was thinking about not going to Indy next year and get back to a different bike trip in summer, this could be a great replacement!
Lots of cool bikes---
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Well if you do the JB rally, you can come visit me, I'm just over the bridge from SF in Oakland.

Looks like a cool event!

IMHO, good bikes for the event would be "standards/UJM" in the 450cc~650cc twin-cylinder range. CB 450, GS 450/500, EX500, XS650 and the like. They're going to be reliable, easy to fix if not, get great gas mileage, and will be more comfortable than smaller or racier bikes such as a Ninja 250.
davej
DAMN Expert

Post by davej »

webmost

Post by webmost »

I would hunt up a Honda CX500. Absolutely cannot kill that engine with a sledgehammer. Comfy enough ergos. Big enough to ride slab. Shaft drive low maintenance. Big old giant radiator to keep the engine happy way out west. More torque than horsies, so easy on the tires, too. Be surprised if you couldn't score one for five, slap on some new tires for a buck and a half, and have a buck left for farkles. Might even find one with boxes.
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

webmost wrote:I would hunt up a Honda CX500. Absolutely cannot kill that engine with a sledgehammer. Comfy enough ergos. Big enough to ride slab. Shaft drive low maintenance. Big old giant radiator to keep the engine happy way out west. More torque than horsies, so easy on the tires, too. Be surprised if you couldn't score one for five, slap on some new tires for a buck and a half, and have a buck left for farkles. Might even find one with boxes.
:poser: :poser:

If i do it to ... not certain - time commitment is substancial... that's my first choice of bike... Cheap, dependable - etc...
2013 Honda CB1100
1999 Suzuki DR350Se