KTM620Adv Exhaust relocation for Hard Bags

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Re: KTM620Adv Exhaust relocation for Hard Bags

Post by hondahawkrider » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:28 pm

Kyler wrote:I've been thinking about this. I think he should run the exhaust straight back, then up at a 90 deg angle behind the cases - sorta like diesel stacks. :poser:
You laugh....

However I have been lurking on allot of KTM sites looking for someone to part with a set of KTM 690 SM OEM pipes.. Cheap, like I see with the 950/990 ones (you can get a set for $50 on Adv rider)

It's not going to be a passenger bike - so I could move the bags forward a bit and pop these up behind the bags..
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se

hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:33 pm

mdubya wrote:Would it be possible to do a single exhaust routed back through the subframe ala 625?
Not without getting a different subframe ... See the 2nd pic... The rear is reenforced to hold extra weight on the tail... It was KTM's Rally bike model of the day, they didn't have a seperate rally bike like they do today...Supposedly it was done to be able the weight of aftermarket rear tanks...
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se

Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:25 pm

IMHO, the water in the pipes thing is a non-issue.

I've had to build racks to keep from melting soft bags and side plates on both our bikes, and that's a big PITA. IMHO, the low pipe solution is good. It's even better if you can easily swap back and forth between the high & low pipes.

If you don't mind the looks, you could try to find a thin/flat automotive muffler to position it behind the bags. I'm thinking something like a Bassani universal muffler. The downside is that they're probably heavy, not to mention somewhat too-large inlet/outlet diameters. I'm sure with more research, you could find smaller diameter, flat, offset inlet/outlet universal mufflers.

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-mu ... =ffproduct

Also, you could modify your bag mounts to allow more space for the mufflers, and possibly add heat shields.