I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

KTM620Adv Exhaust relocation for Hard Bags

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Re: KTM620Adv Exhaust relocation for Hard Bags

Post by hondahawkrider »

Kyler wrote:I've been thinking about this. I think he should run the exhaust straight back, then up at a 90 deg angle behind the cases - sorta like diesel stacks. :poser:
You laugh....

However I have been lurking on allot of KTM sites looking for someone to part with a set of KTM 690 SM OEM pipes.. Cheap, like I see with the 950/990 ones (you can get a set for $50 on Adv rider)

It's not going to be a passenger bike - so I could move the bags forward a bit and pop these up behind the bags..
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

mdubya wrote:Would it be possible to do a single exhaust routed back through the subframe ala 625?
Not without getting a different subframe ... See the 2nd pic... The rear is reenforced to hold extra weight on the tail... It was KTM's Rally bike model of the day, they didn't have a seperate rally bike like they do today...Supposedly it was done to be able the weight of aftermarket rear tanks...
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

IMHO, the water in the pipes thing is a non-issue.

I've had to build racks to keep from melting soft bags and side plates on both our bikes, and that's a big PITA. IMHO, the low pipe solution is good. It's even better if you can easily swap back and forth between the high & low pipes.

If you don't mind the looks, you could try to find a thin/flat automotive muffler to position it behind the bags. I'm thinking something like a Bassani universal muffler. The downside is that they're probably heavy, not to mention somewhat too-large inlet/outlet diameters. I'm sure with more research, you could find smaller diameter, flat, offset inlet/outlet universal mufflers.

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-mu ... =ffproduct

Also, you could modify your bag mounts to allow more space for the mufflers, and possibly add heat shields.