I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

2010 NVTR Spring Trail Ride Report

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
rideabike

2010 NVTR Spring Trail Ride Report

Post by rideabike »

NVTR Spring Trail Ride

The 2010 Northern Virginia Trail Riders Spring Trail Ride took place this past Sunday May 2. It was a beautiful (but hot) day and a good turn out. I introduced a few riders to the event and brought my family. The kids, as always, had a great time. My nine-year old son had fun on the novice woods trail (two mile). It had plenty to keep his interest with short hills, sandy sections, and cool banks to hit that give you a dry paths around puddles. The intermediate loop (six miles?) took 30 minutes or more and was full of variety. It was very do-able on a dual sport but real dirt tires helped a lot. The expert trail started with the intermediate trail but added a few "hero" sections that put the length around 10 miles. The "Jersey Woods" section of the expert trail really took advantage of narrow bars and a steering stabilizer. The trails have something going on almost constantly with turns at the bottom of hills, S-turns up hills, off-camber turns, banked turns and trails snaking through trees. The intermediate trail does afford a break of sorts mid-way through in the form of a wide section of trail with minimal turns but it soon dumps back into some tighter woods trail that requires your attention. The NVTR put on another great ride (and fund raiser for the King George Optimist Club) and my friends and I will be back next year.

Thanks NVTR!

Curtis
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: 2010 NVTR Spring Trail Ride Report

Post by Firebolter »

Glad you guys had fun, it was HOT! I was the guy at the second "split" marking the score cards for the second half of the day. I drank all my Camelback and I was standing around! I can imagine how it was for riders.

Traction was perfect and look how lucky we got with the weather! Today is crap!
Lots of cool bikes---
rideabike

Post by rideabike »

You might remember me, I'm a new NVTR member so I had my brand new NVTR jersey and I was an unofficial course marshal so I riding the trails but was not getting scored (no fender card on my YZ450F).

My profile photo is from an STR about 5 years ago.
Last edited by rideabike on Mon May 03, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
biffer99
DAMN Expert

Post by biffer99 »

It was nice meeting both of you out there. (Firebolter - I was the one that took the guy out that had the broken lever...and then did 1/2 a lap and came to take a break with you). I took a good shot to the left shoulder (wasn't wearing armor because it was too DAMN hot) so I left around 2pm. Thanks to Curtis and family for entertaining my little ones before they left. They had a blast with the kids and were sad to leave their friends. Hope to catch you all at the next ride!

CHRIS
Chris
'09 DRZ400SM (dirt setup as well)
'08 WR450F - plated

http://www.bellwetherphoto.com
brappp
DAMN Expert

Post by brappp »

Bill (firebolter): I meant to introduce you to Curtis (rideabike) yesterday, he lives in your neck of the woods - but we were all so busy dealing with the tasks at hand. :whip:
Tommy
08 KTM 280XCF
07 KTM 525EXC
06 Scorpa SY175F
85 Yamaha YZ125N
WATR, GMER, R&T, ECEA, AMA-D7
" DEATH before DNF!! "
rideabike

Post by rideabike »

I've seen a KTM dual-sport bike going down Rutland Rd a couple of times, Firebolter - Might that have been you?
biffer99
DAMN Expert

Post by biffer99 »

rideabike wrote:I've seen a KTM dual-sport bike going down Rutland Rd a couple of times, Firebolter - Might that have been you?

Rutland Rd?!?! You guys are close! I go by there every day (on the Defense Hwy/450 side)
Chris
'09 DRZ400SM (dirt setup as well)
'08 WR450F - plated

http://www.bellwetherphoto.com