I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

Offroad gear

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
pmullen
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Offroad gear

Post by pmullen » Fri May 14, 2010 3:38 pm

I've been wanting some pants with zip-off legs to make it easier to adjust my CTI braces. So far I haven't found any with a inseam long enough. I agree with Bucho about the pockets and the next pair of riding pants I buy will definitely have pockets.

I like the Klim stuff but they don't make sizes for fat old guys :lol2:

I've been eying these over on Whitehorse. They would be perfect if they had leather liners on the inside of the legs - but then I could add that.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho » Fri May 14, 2010 4:02 pm

Last fall when we riding/camping w/ Sallydog, I noticed he has a nice pair of zipoff leg riding pants. I don't know how they are on the bike, but when taking a break, he'd zip off the bottoms and seemed to be a lot cooler than the rest of us in the hot weather.

If I had lots of spare money, I'd like a pair of Darien Light pants for dualsporting. It seems like they would hold up well for abrasion protection. There are also some really nice Rally style pants, but the good stuff is really expensive.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Fri May 14, 2010 4:34 pm

Good topic. How about armor? I've been looking at Acrebis but who likes what? Recommendations?

pmullen
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by pmullen » Fri May 14, 2010 4:40 pm

Maximus wrote:Good topic. How about armor? I've been looking at Acrebis but who likes what? Recommendations?
armor should be good enough to stop a 7.62 mm NATO round at anything less than 800 klicks... :shrug:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

badguy
DAMN Expert

Post by badguy » Fri May 14, 2010 6:11 pm

Kyler wrote:
Grady wrote:A little more pricey, but I seem to see lots of people wearing these jerseys. :lol2:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1102&start=0
:lol2: :loveit: :thumbup:
Did I mention I'm cheap :deal: :lol2:
dirtygrunt wrote:The only reason I wear mx gear (pants) is that they are cut to fit comfortable when riding. The pair I wear have a lot of mesh, great for cooling the "boys". Function over form for me.

Having said that I''ve gone to wearing over the boot DS type pants. For the pockets. I can still fit knee pads under (or over). I also have a couple pairs of DS type pants with integrated armor.
The piece I like the best is the upper body armored pressure suit thingy.
I have some Klim pants,and they are nice, kinda skimpy on pockets.

I have an exstensive collection (not that I planned to) and it was a learning process.

Oh, yeah. Most of my gear is crash tested. :thumbup:
I'm looking for both integrated armor as well as mesh if possible (I know the mesh kinda kills the abrasion-resistant part, but oh well, haha). I used to have some BMX kneepads but can't find em. If I could get something with good integrated armor, that would be cool. I think in-boot pants would be best since I've got skinny calves and my boots don't fit all that tight...
Maximus wrote:Good topic. How about armor? I've been looking at Acrebis but who likes what? Recommendations?
I have the 661 pressure suit and got it for pretty cheap. I haven't tested it yet, but it seems comfortable and fairly protective.

Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch » Fri May 14, 2010 6:12 pm

Kyler wrote:
armor should be good enough to stop a 7.62 mm NATO round at anything less than 800 klicks... :shrug:
That would be friendly fire. :deal:

I got these for Jr and I: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/produ ... ilyId=7294

A little on the warm side, but comfy and although I haven't crash tested this yet, it seems well protected. Affordable too. :thumbup:
Bruce

Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady » Fri May 14, 2010 6:26 pm

I have a Rockgardn Flak Jacket (pressure suit) that I love, plenty of adjustments for a good fit and excellent protection. I always felt uncomfortable in most armor, but this thing fits great. I know Sallydog and Louge have the same one also. I always felt that the standard MX style chest protector only really protected from roost not a crash. The pressure suits provide great protection that stays in place during a fall ( I've tested mine extensively) Armor that moves around won't do you any good when needed. I also wear a set of cheap Shift Knee/shin guards. They work great and I've never had a problem with them. Although I think most knee/shin combos will stay in place if they extend into your riding boot. I think Ken and Bucho have the Acerbis pressure suit, so maybe one of them can chime in with their opinions. The pressure suits can be a little more hot, but worth it when you go down in the rocks.

Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady » Fri May 14, 2010 6:29 pm

badguy wrote: I think in-boot pants would be best since I've got skinny calves and my boots don't fit all that tight...
If you get a set of Knee/shin guards that go in the boot, this will help with the calf fit also.

mtd679
DAMN Wanabe

Post by mtd679 » Fri May 14, 2010 6:45 pm

Tony, what size do you have?
bunch of bike I don't ride...

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho » Fri May 14, 2010 7:56 pm

I have one of the Acerbis Pressure suits, can't remember what it is officially called. Other then making me feel like some sort of SciFi futuristic warrior, I guess I like it, its pretty comfortable. Its probably slightly hotter in the summer, but well worth it to me.
I think I've only had one good crash in it. A failed hillclimb where I pretty much fell w/ full body weight onto a rock. I had to lay on the ground for a while, but I think it saved me from a punctured kidney.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200