I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Tire size question

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Kath

Tire size question

Post by Kath »

Please translate:

Tire specs for my XT:

F: 2.75-21
R: 120/80-18

Closest tire sizes available for D606's:

F: 90/90-21
R: 120/90-19

Will these fit on my bike or no? I may have to opt for the Kendas afterall I'm thinking.
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Re: Tire size question

Post by Skinny-J »

the short answer is no. the first (and most important) is the rim size. Your bike needs a 21" front and an 18" rear, but you have listed a 19" rear.

The next number is the width and profile. The 120 is how wide it is and the 90 means the height is 90% of the width.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Kath wrote:Please translate:

Tire specs for my XT:

F: 2.75-21
R: 120/80-18

Closest tire sizes available for D606's:

F: 90/90-21
R: 120/90-19

Will these fit on my bike or no? I may have to opt for the Kendas afterall I'm thinking.
this is a friendly site for that info

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle- ... e-data.htm

90/90 = 2.75 - 3.00

obviously your need a 18" rear tire - a 120/90 will work - will be a bit taller

try

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog ... 00_222_223
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Kath, those sizes will work on your bike.

The confusion is due to the different tire manufacturers measuring their tires differently. On the rear I would stick to the narrowest choice available due to the small low powered nature of your bike. Up front, while there is some variation in size, they are all pretty close to the same size regardless of whether they are marked 2.75, 90/90. 80/100, 100/90, etc.

edit: above answers are for 18" rear. :ride:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Kath

Post by Kath »

Thanks, guys. That 19 was a typo...it should've said 18 too. Hey, what can I say....sneaking on the interweb at work can put pressure on my typing skills sometimes. :lol2:
Kath

Post by Kath »

So the 90 width instead of the stock 80 will be a bit taller, but I won't have to modify anything on the bike at all, right? I guess I can make these work afterall. Thanks for also explaining that 90/90 is basically the same thing as 2.75!

Now who wants to put them on for me after I get them? :harhar:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Kath wrote:Now who wants to put them on for me after I get them? :harhar:
Why Joe, of course! You think he'd tolerate anyone else getting their hands on your 18" rear? :angel:

:peep:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Kath

Post by Kath »

I'm pretty sure Joe is tired of tinkering with bikes since owning the DR. :amazon:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Kath wrote:I'm pretty sure Joe is tired of tinkering with bikes since owning the DR. :amazon:
I can sympathize - the CR500 has nearly driven me insane - good thing I'm already there.
Ken
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

You know, Ken, you can always box that thing up and send it to me.

Kath - IMHO, everyone who rides off road needs to know how to change a tire and patch an inner tube. You'll get practice with the latter while practicing the former. Hit YouTube and look for "motorcycle tire change" video. There a couple real useful ones.

Get yourself 3 *good* tire irons -- the stiffer & burlier they are, the better. I have good cast ones and a cheap flat stamped one, and the cheap one bends when I really lean on it.

I'll share that the key to not popping the inner tube is to slightly inflate it before attacking the tire with the tire irons.