I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

need DRZ motor help

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

need DRZ motor help

Post by mdubya »

The DRZ motor died on me tonight while I was scoping out some trail/ORV options close to home. It died as I came to a stop. The starter cranked but struggled. After a brief pause, it started off the button, but with the throttle held WFO. The motor wouldn't idle. I hopped on and made a beeline for home, revving the throttle with the clutch pulled in around tight turns. It cut out on me several times before it finally ground to a halt. Up to that point, and quite often recently it has felt like it was really shutting down on closed throttle. I even had a moment on our recent DS ride where it died when I pulled in the clutch to downshift.

What I do know is is has a slight exhaust leak from my ghetto pipe repair (nothing new there, really). I checked the valves 2 weeks ago and they were in spec. This motor (bought blind off ebay for cheap) has always had a serious on/off lurch, like something is loose in the motor. I have confirmed multiple times that both ends of the crank are torqued, loctite'd, and the flywheel and the clutch basket and the primary gear are 100% tight and in spec.

So, any suggestions where to start? What to check? The motor has otherwise been running strong. I just changed the plug. The old plug, while heavily abused read a nice light to medium grey/brown color, properly gapped, and no marks from anything touching in the combustion chamber. The new plug is platinum and gapped properly.

restukey thinks it might be coil and pick up.

EXTRA SPECIAL HUGE THANKS AND PROPS TO TyMarp for coming to my rescue before the bears got me. I cannot thank you enough! :bow: :bow: :bow: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Re: need DRZ motor help

Post by hondahawkrider »

I vote for checking the carb.... your float might be sticking

I had some similiar - but no where near a bad - after I put my aftermarket exhaust on my DRzSM - with the jet kit... Can't remember if the 3x3 mod was done at this time or not.... I experienced a bog when I was hard on the throttle (ie WFO) and would let off and get back on it, and it would stall if I was hard on the throttle and would roll off while coming to a stop... I fixed all my issues by going to the fcr carb...... (you know you want it)...

Anyway check Thumpertalk for Eddie Sinernos (or close spelling) he's listed on the DRz section of TT - he knows Drz 's inside and out
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

The question is what changed? Did you particularly violently miss a shift? Did you do anything out of ordinary (that's sort of a moot question the way you ride :poser: )? Did you notice a backfire right before it happened?

My initial bet is that the cam chain skipped a tooth. (I was writing this while thinking about it, all the stuff to do is good, some is easier to do in order, but you could skip right to checking the cam timing)

First, remove the spark plug and inspect it for deposited metal. Next, check the oil by draining it and straining it through a paper towel. Take out the filter and cut it apart and look in the pleats for metal. Same with the frame screen. If you find metal, it's time to take the motor out of the frame and start dissecting it to find the source. Fine swirly metal dust is not good, gritty chunks of metal are bad, big pieces are real bad.

Next, check that the motor spins freely - remove the crank bolt port in the stator cover and turn the motor by hand using a deep socket on the crank bolt - it should turn smoothly with light drag all the way through. If it has any more than light drag, or if it feels gritty in any spot, you probably have a bad piston.

While you have the plug out take off the timing inspection port on the stator cover, attach a timing light to the plug wire (be sure that there is a plug in the cap, and grounded so the coil energy has somewhere to go) and crank the motor to see if the spark is happening near the timing mark. If it's off, check the key and keyway under the stator. I have a stator removal tool that you can borrow if you need.

Next take the valve cover off, and see that everything is right up there -- check the valve clearances, which won't necessarily be the actual cause, but will definitely show a bent valve as having more clearance. If there is NO clearance, that needs to be fixed, but do that later. Check the valve timing - set the crank to TDC (there's a mark on the flywheel) and see if the slash-marks on the cam chain sprocket line up. If not, rotate the crank 1 full turn and check it again. If still not, the cam chain skipped a tooth. If that's the case, you'll need to replace both the cam chain and the cam chain tensioner. The auto CT works, despite the DRZ urban legend (only affected the first couple years), but a manual CT is cheaper than OEM unless you can get a used one.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

hondahawkrider wrote: Anyway check Thumpertalk for Eddie Sinernos (or close spelling) he's listed on the DRz section of TT - he knows Drz 's inside and out
I have had many good dealings with Eddie, for many years. Too many wannbe idiots on TT for it to be very useful any more. I am not one to call people idiots very often. Last time I asked a question over there, it took about 30 posts of me trying to explain to one insistent fool that he did not understand what I was asking. In the meantime, I found out the answer through my own research. Eddie is awesome though. He truly knows what he is talking about.

I will check the carb too.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Thanks Al. BTW I have some 60,000 + miles spread over two DRZ motors on the ACCT. Never a problem. Nor have I ever had a problem with the other alarmist nonsense the DRZ owners tie themselves in knots over on the TT DRZ forum.

The bike has always backfired a ton on decel and has been especially vocal on decel with the exhaust leak. It has been running as if it has no spark on closed throttle. I suppose I will have the time this weekend to take a look at things.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Louge

Post by Louge »

mdubya wrote:It has been running as if it has no spark on closed throttle.
Huskies suffer similar symptoms from ferrous accumulations on the stator. It interferes with the ignition pickup over time.
zooom
DAMN Wanabe

Post by zooom »

is it also worth checking your grounds in the electrical?!?!?!...
Keep thine eye on the tach and thine ears on the engine lest thy whirlybits seek communion with the sun.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

@ Louge and zooom: both are good and helpful suggestions. :thumbup:

Rhetorical question: is buying a low ball ebay motor easier than cleaning a pilot jet? :shrug:

:lol2:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
restukey
DAMN Expert

Post by restukey »

The whole only starting with the throttle wfo is pretty suspicious. That has been making me rethink the coil. I am pretty sure it's a valve & piston cloud. I'll bring a leak down tester this weekend. We might also see how the carb fills itself, but it looks like a cloud considering Al's diagnosis.
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Post by the dude himself »

I'll stick with what I know: pull the plugs to see what's going on with the combustion. The DRZ's I've worked with while running MC training were all finicky with the low speed circuit on the carbs. If a vacuum hose was a little loose, or ANYTHING got in the fuel, the bike would not idle. Typically it could be resolved by flushing the carb bowl a few times, but every now and then I'd have to pull the carb and clean it out.