I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

dr 350 saga....

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
code
DAMN Poohba

dr 350 saga....

Post by code »

Let me start with this :wallbash: cause I'm an idiot. Dropped the dr off the other week at a friends house (whom said he had some time to kill if I wanted to give him the job).

Issues with the bike... it's a kickstart :harhar: (can't be fixed). Other issues... oil leak - now fixed. If the guy I bought it from had done what he said he was doing then it would've been fixed pre-leak. The gaskets were over tightened and dry rot = leak. Quick and painless $3 fix.

Now...the electrical issues... Lights wouldn't turn on unless bike was running. Apparently it took two of us to go over the bike with a fine tooth comb for one of us to finally figure out that the fuse was burnt out. :harhar: Figures...hours lost when that was the issue. Next issue..brake light flashes when turn signals are on, and brake light didn't work with front or rear brake depressed..... the flashing was caused by my questionable upgrade to led lights bought off fleabay. Why, we haven't figured out..but regular bulb lights work fine. Apparently the upgrade (which I thought would give me more juice for elsewhere..was also sucking more juice then regular bulb lights. :screwy: Had rectifiers in place too. Oh well.
The wiring harness and several other connections were also loose. The brake light itself wouldn't work because the front brake switch apparently went up. Replacement coming in about a week for that, along with a new air filter and spark plugs. This thing will be like new when my friend gets done. :rayof: Next year...maybe I can talk the wife into allowing me to get some sm wheels sets for it :peep: :ride: :ride:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: dr 350 saga....

Post by Bucho »

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles w/ the DR. That stuff is super frustrating to me. I've only had two kickstart only bikes and 95% of the time I found it no big deal. But that 5% can be a real bitch!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

if you go all LED lights, depending on flasher you may require the use of LED IC relay. I had to do that to my KTM.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

Does that mean it will be ready for the hammer run.
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
code
DAMN Poohba

Post by code »

jr-n-the mule wrote:Does that mean it will be ready for the hammer run.
Possibly :harhar: Actually I'm hoping it's done for 4th july weekend so I can run her back out in western,md. But we'll see. Too early to say what's what for the hammer run. I've been lookin' at that...isn't it basically the pine barrens?
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

code wrote:
Possibly :harhar: Actually I'm hoping it's done for 4th july weekend so I can run her back out in western,md. But we'll see. Too early to say what's what for the hammer run. I've been lookin' at that...isn't it basically the pine barrens?
no and yes - southern pine barrons. more dirt, less deep sand, thick, dense trees
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

Kyler wrote:
code wrote:
no and yes - southern pine barrons. more dirt, less deep sand, thick, dense trees
and a few little elevation changes :thumbup:
code
DAMN Poohba

Post by code »

Am really eyein' up the hammer run but the oil leak is back :dry: My buddy that has been tooling it found this...After changing the over tightened dry rot gasket, several days went by with nothing, then a slight bit came out. Took the piece off again and noticed a nice size crack across the backside of the piece that looks like someone hit it with a chisel. :nono: Brilliant! :screwy: Now the ebay search begins..well once he shows me what the piece is. From our phone convo..sounded like the same piece that had the over tightened gasket.
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

Can you fix it with JB Weld?
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
code
DAMN Poohba

Post by code »

BigBird wrote:Can you fix it with JB Weld?
That's what my buddy used for the time being, but he recommended finding the piece on bikerbandit / fleabay and replacing it since it's the inside of the piece that has the worse portion of the crack. Plus something that holds oil, which makes it so the engine doesn't seize up is probably a good thing to replace. No.?.