I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

New Scoot

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
FOX8505

New Scoot

Post by FOX8505 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:29 am

New to me, 2001 XR650L. Picked it up over the weekend from Pittsburg PA. found it on Craigslist, it needs some minor things like chain, tires, and such but overall is a good sound running machine.

I'm not sure about the clutch though and thought I'd ask you DAMN fellas. It functions just fine but engages very very late. I have adjusted the cable play and it doesn't seem to do a thing. Is this a sign of needing a clutch? if yes, then I wonder how long I drag it out and what kind of money i'm getting myself into. I'm somewhat handy on bikes and do my own oil, tires, chains, brakes, and some carb mods but that's about it. I've never been inside the clutch.

I do have the stock tank shrouds but took them off.

Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: New Scoot

Post by Grady » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:50 am

Nice buy :thumbup: I don't know about the Honda, but the clutch on my 610 took about a 1/2 hour and cost about $100 for the plates. Really simple job.

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:54 am

Rekluse... :shrug:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

restukey
DAMN Expert

Post by restukey » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:06 pm

Check and see if the clutch cable is frayed?

Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:56 pm

just loosen the cable until it has some free play in it, if on the perch dont do it then go to the other end down by the engine and loosen it up there. Pretty much as long as it doesnt slip while riding you are fine.

first thing to do is to get rid of those emission tubes with the block off kit and richen it up

FOX8505

Post by FOX8505 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:31 pm

Removal of all that smog crap gain any HP? if it's just a weight reduction then I don't really mind it. Athough it is very strange looking.

I decided to do the clutch anyways so it's ordered along with some D.O.T. knobbies and a new chain. I didn't really want the knobbies, and would rather a mild DS type tire but I couldn't refuse the price.

Already looking at the calendar trying to fit in :kumbaya: & :roost:

hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:32 pm

nice choice....

:cheers:

You may want to read this as well - http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/

looks like you may have all the stock smog/emissions stuff - it make a difference...
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se

Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:57 pm

Nice ride fox! Are you going to brake it in on the 777 ride? I think you should! I see your from Pasadena, what area?
Do you get to kayak much? I try and go once a week? Pm me if you want to go one nite/day. :roost: :roost:
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX

FOX8505

Post by FOX8505 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:40 am

Time is my only ememy. I work 6 days a week and it is tough to get out, but I make the most out of a fair weathered Sunday. I kayak most weekends and mainly use it to fish. I'm more of a ultra light fisherman and tend to use very light gear. Normally Patapsco or Severn rivers. My wife and I are gonna do a pre run to Hart-Miller Island Friday night. We are supposed to Kayak camp there next week and want to check it out before the rest of the group.

I'm checking out "Daves mods" right...now, thanks.

Mule- nice to see a local, most these DAMN folk seem to be based quite western and joining for a ride is tough. I am near Mountain & Solley. once I get this brp up and humming nicely we should grab a ride.

Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:25 am

Hart Miller's nice, but be sure to bring the bug spray, they have been viscous lately. If by chance Hart Miller is full, I believe Pleasure island allows camping too and is just south of Hart Miller. Where are you launching from, Rocky point? If I'm not riding on the weekend, I'm usually at the island relaxing and swimming any chance I get :cheers:. Most the weekend party people anchor near the observation tower and spread from there. The further away from the tower you get a site, the less chance people will be anchored right off shore partying near you on the weekend (Unless you don't mind that).