I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

New Scoot

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
FOX8505

Re: New Scoot

Post by FOX8505 »

jr-n-the mule wrote:Did you get your paddle trip in??
Sure did. Wife and I packed up some cold beers, bag of charcoal, and some burgers and headed out Friday night after work. We put in at Rocky Point Park and went straight across the river. Naturally I did some troll fishing on the way. the paddle was around 1.30 miles each way with some boat traffic and minor current to fight, but it wasn't a bad paddle. We saw 20-30 boats stacked up on the north side of the island but they all seemed to filter out as the sunset grew closer. Packed up and paddled back into a beautiful sunset. It's what Wife and I like to think of as "extreme dinner dating"

we are gearing up tomorrow night with some friends to actually camp there for the weekend. the XRL is still getting the clutch job done so I have to entertain myself without a bike.
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

Have you thought about an over nighter on the upper potomac? Just something I`ve been wanting to do. None of my paddle friends are in to camping. :kumbaya:
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
FOX8505

Post by FOX8505 »

jr-n-the mule wrote:Have you thought about an over nighter on the upper potomac? Just something I`ve been wanting to do. None of my paddle friends are in to camping. :kumbaya:
I'm not 100% sure which the Upper Potomac is, I have been down the C&O a few times near Green ridge SF is that what your talking about? That would make an excellent kayak camp trip. But it's tough to head that direction and not bring the bike.

My largest attraction to HMI is that it's local.
FOX8505

Post by FOX8505 »

the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Post by the dude himself »

jr-n-the mule wrote:Have you thought about an over nighter on the upper potomac? Just something I`ve been wanting to do. None of my paddle friends are in to camping. :kumbaya:
[Hijack]

Dude, let me know when!

I have a 16' Grumman double-ender for the real shallow areas, and a 14' Jet boat for the slightly deeper stuff (deep on the UP is 3' most of the summer).

There's some great areas for camping here in Montgomery County - just miles upstream of the falls. One place is a short 3/4 mile paddle, with a 20' x 50' sandy beach. Paddle 1/2 mile up from there and there's great places to see the sunset.

My buddy owns a local canoe school, we could probably get him to give us a group rate if enough folks are interested.

[/hijack]

Hey Fox, can you link a Google Map to the beach you camp on? I've always been interested in an overnighter in that area.
FOX8505

Post by FOX8505 »

Well I can't for the life of me figure out how to post a google map link. But, just google Hart Miller Island and it comes right up. once on the Island it's actually quite peaceful and makes for a perfect camp site. The paddle is 1.3 miles but can be a hair rough due to boat traffic.

I've love to check out those Montgomery area spots you've shown in your pics. Is there a water/river front area we could moto-camp at in those parts?
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Post by the dude himself »

FOX8505 wrote:Well I can't for the life of me figure out how to post a google map link. But, just google Hart Miller Island and it comes right up. once on the Island it's actually quite peaceful and makes for a perfect camp site. The paddle is 1.3 miles but can be a hair rough due to boat traffic.

I've love to check out those Montgomery area spots you've shown in your pics. Is there a water/river front area we could moto-camp at in those parts?
There's this great gravel road, unfortunately the US Park Police will arrest you for riding the C&O canal. :lol2:

I know of a few great spots between Point of Rocks and Whites Ferry, and between Seneca Rapids and Swains Lock (where you legally have to pull out before the Falls). There are spots along the C&O for camping, but the only areas where you can leave a vehicle are far from the good camping spots. And I'm not sure I'd leave a motorcycle at many of the parking lots overnight.

Since I was a kid (been canoeing this part of the river since I was two) I've dreamed of taking a 3-4 day weekend and paddle/floating from PawPaw to Swains Lock, camping and fishing along the way.

Next time you're in the area give me a shout. We can all pile into the canoe, I can borrow a second canoe, or you can bring the 'yaks and I'll show you around. It's amazing what you can find just miles upstream from DC.

Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

Looks like good fun!! Maybe we should try and put something together?
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
FOX8505

Post by FOX8505 »

jr-n-the mule wrote:Looks like good fun!! Maybe we should try and put something together?
We should. time is my enemy but I could pull off a one nighter. Paddle, or ride? I'm open to either is it's camping directly off them. I won't leave the bike elsewhere overnight.
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

FOX8505 wrote:
jr-n-the mule wrote:Looks like good fun!! Maybe we should try and put something together?
We should. time is my enemy but I could pull off a one nighter. Paddle, or ride? I'm open to either is it's camping directly off them. I won't leave the bike elsewhere overnight.
Overnight paddle trip would be cool!!! I have lots of overnighters plained for the bike.
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX