I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Yo, N003 here.

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
..::LOST::..

Yo, N003 here.

Post by ..::LOST::.. »

New member here... Just lurking around, but I'm an owner of a 12GS from around the Columbia area. The GS is a still new to me bike, and will soon have it in the dirt. Going backwards in chronological order I had previous a Yamaha SECAII 600 in the MD area, and way way before that rode a YZ125, YZ80, and a few Quads off road in El Paso, TX. Nice thing there was my backyard was the side of a mountain, so getting outdoors was a matter of going outback. Anyway I'm waiting to get some TKC80's installed on my GS, which I'm sure will make it more dirt friendly and overal a heavy bike. Other then that there's not much to say. Oh, I'm on the lookout for a utility/motorcycle trailer. If anyone has a suggestion, other then bikes are ment to rid I'll be all eyes/ears.

Glad to be here!

-Jay
CapoGreg

Re: Yo, N003 here.

Post by CapoGreg »

Welcome Jay,

The TKCs are a good on/off road tire, but they wear pretty quick. I had them on my Capo for 3000 miles and they're about 60% gone. They took me through forest roads, creek fords, and the Dragon without any problems. Just remember, it's still a top heavy bike, so if you get in over your head, expect to go down.

I bought a Carry-On 5x10 trailer with solid sides and a rear ramp. It's perfect for towing behind my Jeep Liberty, and I've put about 5000 miles on it in the year since I got it. Even though the ramp is mesh, I can still feel it back there and my highway mileage dropped from around 22 down to 16 when I took it to Tennessee last year.

Greg
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

Welcome to the DAMN group :thumbup:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Welcome! And DAMN time you found us!

Next Saturday morning load your tent and meet us at the Marc Station at Point of Rocks.

See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1016
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Welcome. Its not offroad, but there are some nice dirtroads out here in the Frederick area, come on out one day. I'm sure you could get some of us to show you around. Dmar and SkinnyJ have led some nice rides out North(East?) of Baltimore, if thats closer.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Kyler wrote:Next Saturday morning load your tent and meet us at the Marc Station at Point of Rocks.

See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1016
+1
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Post by the dude himself »

CapoGreg wrote:Welcome Jay,

The TKCs are a good on/off road tire, but they wear pretty quick. I had them on my Capo for 3000 miles and they're about 60% gone. They took me through forest roads, creek fords, and the Dragon without any problems. Just remember, it's still a top heavy bike, so if you get in over your head, expect to go down.

I bought a Carry-On 5x10 trailer with solid sides and a rear ramp. It's perfect for towing behind my Jeep Liberty, and I've put about 5000 miles on it in the year since I got it. Even though the ramp is mesh, I can still feel it back there and my highway mileage dropped from around 22 down to 16 when I took it to Tennessee last year.

Greg
Haha, I ran the TKC's on my bigbore BMW (R12GS) for nearly 8k miles, but I also managed close to 55 MPG (gentle accel/decel). The one time in life when it pays to be 150 lbs wet.

The trailer is a Carry-On from Tractor Supply. $300 new, plus about $50 in #2 PT 2x6's and hardware. Weighs in at 180 lbs, has been across the country and back, hit triple digit speeds, and is stored on end in the garage balanced on one wheel and a 4x4 block. Nice and lowslung too - I use a tire ramp for loading now, although I used to just back over a curb and ride it straight on.

Come out next weekend, I hear there might be a Slag sighting.

Hey guys, sorry it's taken so long to reply. Sound like you all are having a blast! :-) I'll get there soon enough - I hope. I agree the GS isn't all inclusive as an enduro, but I think it's a good multipurpose bike. I'm sure as time goes on I'll want something a little lighter while keeping the GS as a touring enduro bike.

As for the trailer, I was looking at the Carry-on from Lowes. Mesh is fine, and still gives me the opportunity to put a wooden floor down, no? Either way I need one bad - seems there is a reputation with BMW riders saying they must ride the bike, but I'm heading to OBX (Carova, NC) next month. The TKC80 are for that, and I'll most likely have Bob's BMW remount the Tourances when I get back. Oh, reason to trailer - wife doesn't want to drive? Yeah we are heading down as a family, so it would be great family time. Needless to say the bike has to trailered if I want to bring it, which I DO :-) . Does anyone have any suggestions where, other then Lowes to pick-up a Carry-On trailer, and do you know if it would be ok in the beach sand?

-Jay

the dude himself wrote:
CapoGreg wrote:Welcome Jay,

Greg
Haha, I ran the TKC's on my bigbore BMW (R12GS) for nearly 8k miles, but I also managed close to 55 MPG (gentle accel/decel). The one time in life when it pays to be 150 lbs wet.

The trailer is a Carry-On from Tractor Supply. $300 new, plus about $50 in #2 PT 2x6's and hardware. Weighs in at 180 lbs, has been across the country and back, hit triple digit speeds, and is stored on end in the garage balanced on one wheel and a 4x4 block. Nice and lowslung too - I use a tire ramp for loading now, although I used to just back over a curb and ride it straight on.

Come out next weekend, I hear there might be a Slag sighting.
Good info! Didn't want to seem redundant with my previous post, but thanks for the trailer info. All options are being considers. Here is an ignorant question, these trailers have to be registered in MD right? Will a place like Tractor Supply issue a temp tag for it? How does this work - it's pretty obvious this is my first trailer isn't it :-) .

Also, next weekend? Where can I find more details? I may just have to make some time...

-Jay
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

..::LOST::.. wrote:
Also, next weekend? Where can I find more details? I may just have to make some time...

-Jay
Kyler sent you the link, but I realize there are 30+ pages of fluff to sift thru. Basically its an overnight motorcycle trip. Starting at the MARC station parking in Point of Rocks MD, Sat morning. Riding out to Durbin WV, where we will be camping (and a few sissies will have hotel rooms). Then riding back to MD the next day. This is Hondahawk rider's route and it will involve a lot of dirtroads but no real offroading. Pack your sleepingbag and show up Sat morning.
Most of the rides/events we have ARE NOT big bike friendly, however this one is and should be a blast. Your GS should be fine. If you can make it, make it.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200