I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Air Pumps

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Air Pumps

Post by Rut Row »

The plethora of flat tires on the 777 ride this year has gotten me to thinking about carrying a spare 21" tube, a pump and tire irons.

Louge and skierd - what pumps do you have and how do you like them? How long are the pumps?

Anyone else carry a pump, manual or electric?

I've decided to get a Wolfman enduro fender pack. It is 12" long and should handle a 21" tube, 2 spoons and a pump.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Re: Air Pumps

Post by the dude himself »

The mantra I kept hearing all weekend was "It's OK, I've got towing!"

Years ago I carried a $10 electric Wal*Mart pump, with the plastics removed to save room. It lasted through around 5 years of abuse in a sidebag on two different GS's. For power, I just unscrewed the cigarette lighter plug and held the two pieces to the battery. Just remember - polarity matters unless you want to vacuum the tire down (which may be a great way to break the bead when stuck without spoons).
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

i use a motopump

http://www.motopumps.com/

I got a discount via Advrider.... I set up my GPS connector so it's a easy unplug from under my speedo to plug the pump... I got the basic kit as I have the other connectors

You can go to wallmart and get one yourself - hack it apart.. I went with this one because the motor was shinkwraped -and it has a pouch (not big deal), but the power cord is like 6-8 feet so once you plug it in - you don't have to be super close to where it's needed...

If your putting a kit together - make sure you get a tool to pull the valve stem, in my patch kit, I have a old stem with stem cap that has the notch on it that will does to the job. I have the correct tool (look like a T) that does the same thing - but I like having a backup as it can get lost - as it doesn't fit in the patch kit box...

If you need a patch kit - got to a bike store... I got one before 777 last year at Bobs BMW for like 8-9 bucks, but they didn't have stem tool - so I went to a bike store to get a stem cap - and the exact same patch kit was like 3 bucks...

As for tubes... I prefer to carry a 21in.. I didn't bring on this year (I should have).. It should in a pinch work in the rear - whereas if you just carry a rear tube and get a flat in the front - it won't work....

I need to PM Skierd - he has slick jack (see the pic in the 777 ride) that allows you to keep the bike up to change the tire... Cruz tools has a nice compact offroad kit that can be worn as a belt - but will fit in a tail bag pretty compactly.. It's not bad at all to have the tools, motopump, tube, and patch it in it..

I have only done it once on my own and it took forever.. Perhaps we should have a social event for tire changes - where we can all do our own..
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I've seen those jacks but can't find the reference now - am very interested in skierd's jack too.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Post by the dude himself »

hondahawkrider wrote: Perhaps we should have a social event for tire changes - where we can all do our own..
Are there any drywall screw factories nearby we could ride around? Those sharp little buggers have been my downfall.

I returned the harbor freight tire changer as it was easier to stack the tire/wheel being fixed on another tire on the ground, but I'll volunteer my typically cool° garage (with beer fridge) for the occasion. The looks on the neighbors faces as 10+ dual sports pull in would be priceless, and with the three garages+driveways there's plenty of room inside and out to work.
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

I have a slime pump, can't remember what I payed but it came with a free digital pressure gauge. It works great on moto tires but let air out of my truck tire the one time I tried to use it, the "300 psi" advertised on the case is a bold faced lie. I have the wire set up so it fits the plug for the battery tender/heated vest hookup on the bike. I put enough wire on it so it can reach a few bikes away, came in handy Sunday morning on the 777 ride. Its a little big for the DRz but fits in the side cases when I have them on.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Louge

Post by Louge »

Kyler wrote:The plethora of flat tires on the 777 ride this year has gotten me to thinking about carrying a spare 21" tube, a pump and tire irons.

Louge and skierd - what pumps do you have and how do you like them? How long are the pumps?

Anyone else carry a pump, manual or electric?

I've decided to get a Wolfman enduro fender pack. It is 12" long and should handle a 21" tube, 2 spoons and a pump.
I've been very pleased with my CF Blackburn Mammoth MB pump. The ergonomic handle folds out for easy pumping. It's 12" long, weighs just a few ounces and fits nicely in a backpack. They also make a stubby version.

The pump will not fit inside my Wolfman fender pack. It's 12" long laid out flat as a pancake but functionally 10-11" when loaded with tools. Motion Pro tire irons fit nicely in the pack.

In 35K miles of running UHD tubes on the 950 and 510 I've never had a flat. They are a weight penalty to be sure but can be run as low as 5lbs on the 510 without fear of pinch flats.

Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

CO2 and a high volume bike pump have been working for me.
Electric pumps are cool, until yer battery is dead.

Also run HD tubes.

Fender pack is the deal :thumbup:
Bruce
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

I've heard good things about the Slime pump. The $10 Chinese ones wear out pretty quick. But they're $10. Consumable tools go against my grain. But they're $10.

I carry a Crank Brothers bicycle pump - it's aluminum so it won't wear out like a plastic one, and 2-stage with a high-volume and a high-pressure setting. I had 3 flats in one day (each due to a different cause -- just a *very* unlucky day) out here last fall and I can verify that you can fill a rear tire to 30psi in about 12 minutes of pumping. It'll wear your arm out, tho.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I had a Slime pump - it was a worthless POS. Worked once and then was trash.
Ken