I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Off road bike titles in PA

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Off road bike titles in PA

Post by Laoch »

I've googled around and can't find anything definitive, so....

Does PA issue "titles" with new off-road bikes? Or just an MCO?

Who has bought a used off-road bike and actually received a title?

I was/am under the impression that off-road bikes don't have titles, as PENNDOT will not "title" them, meaning reissue in new owners name.

I have an MCO for my quad/ATV and on the back it has places to sign for buyer/seller.
Is this what folks refer to as a dirt bike title?

Anyway, who the fug wants a title for a 20 year old dirt bike :shrug:

Some people's kids. :screwy:
Bruce
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Off road bike titles in PA

Post by Bucho »

I know Maryland and Ohio both will. Not sure about PA. I just bought a used bike from PA but it was previously plated.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

dirtygrunt wrote:
I have an MCO for my quad/ATV and on the back it has places to sign for buyer/seller.
Is this what folks refer to as a dirt bike title?

Anyway, who the fug wants a title for a 20 year old dirt bike :shrug:

Some people's kids. :screwy:

No a MSO, or Manufacturers Statement of Origin is only from the factory that sez this bike was made on this date, serial number xxxxx and it is or is not for road use. MSO is not a title. But normally, when you buy a bike new, you need the MSO to get a title from most states. KTM's MSO's don't say "For Off Road Only" so it is easy to register them. Some are state dependent, in other words, like Maine, they DO NOT issue a Title for bikes <300cc, so all you get is registration. other states, anything they will tag, they will title. Just depends on the state.
Lots of cool bikes---
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Thanks guys.
Searching the PA vehicle code is a nightmare. Still nothing definitive.
Bruce
XRAnimal
DAMN Expert

Post by XRAnimal »

To the best of my knowledge, in PA you can only "title" a street legal bike.

I have an offroad bike that only had a cert of origin. I made it street legal, got a title and plate. Just have to follow the process.

Steps:
Have the cert of origin
Add what's needed to make it street legal, keep all the receipts
Get a pre-inspection at a "special" place
Get insurance
Go to a notary with all the stuff & apply for a registration, they issue the plate & temp registration
Get the bike inspected like normal
The title comes in the mail
XRAnimal
2003 XR400R (plated)
2012 Super Tenere
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

XRAnimal wrote:To the best of my knowledge, in PA you can only "title" a street legal bike.

I have an offroad bike that only had a cert of origin. I made it street legal, got a title and plate. Just have to follow the process.

Steps:
Have the cert of origin
Add what's needed to make it street legal, keep all the receipts
Get a pre-inspection at a "special" place
Get insurance
Go to a notary with all the stuff & apply for a registration, they issue the plate & temp registration
Get the bike inspected like normal
The title comes in the mail
That's kinda what I thought. Thanks.
Bruce
OldmanX
DAMN Expert

Post by OldmanX »

My strictly off-road use only 04 WR450 came with a title, with the vehicle type noted as "OHV"...which means that it can't be plated in Pa. without my going through the "reconstructed title" process.
530 XCR-W...plated
300 XC
WR450
XR600R...for sale
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

OldmanX wrote:My strictly off-road use only 04 WR450 came with a title, with the vehicle type noted as "OHV"...which means that it can't be plated in Pa. without my going through the "reconstructed title" process.
Was it a "normal" looking vehicle title? Did you get it new? Does the title allow for transfers?

Thx
Bruce
OldmanX
DAMN Expert

Post by OldmanX »

dirtygrunt wrote:
OldmanX wrote:My strictly off-road use only 04 WR450 came with a title, with the vehicle type noted as "OHV"...which means that it can't be plated in Pa. without my going through the "reconstructed title" process.
Was it a "normal" looking vehicle title? Did you get it new? Does the title allow for transfers?

Thx
Yes, its a normal Pa motor vehicle title. I am the 2nd owner of this WR450. The original owner purchased it from a local dealership as a leftover in 05. I bought it from him in 06, and I transferred the title into my name at that time.
530 XCR-W...plated
300 XC
WR450
XR600R...for sale
B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Post by B DIRT »

Heres the scoop dirty

an offroad bike in pa is supposed to have an offroad title, yes an actual title
an MSO is what you get when you buy the bike out of state (manufacturer certificate of origin) which is ok to have with an offroad bike, basically you wouldnt pay tax from a private seller unless you wanted an actual "title" whether it be offroad, on road, or a converter or reconstructed title

scenario for you

I purchased a bike new from a dealer out of state, I did not have to pay tax and a MSO came in the mail with my name on it for the bike I just purchased. Now if I wanted to "title" it which is what your supposed to do, you would have to pay tax on purchase price.

If you went down to velocity cycles and bought a new Honda which I know you want to, you would pay tax on it like a good pennsylvanian and you would recieve in the mail a offroad title
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red
1977 CT90
2008 CRF230L (wifeys)
2003 XR650R (crackbabys)
1999 CR80R (crackbabys)
1972 XL250 (crackbabys)