I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

help with broken bolt (frustration story)

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
FOX8505

help with broken bolt (frustration story)

Post by FOX8505 »

I'm reaching out for some help with a broken bolt problem I'm having, i'll try to make the story short.

My 2001 Honda XR650L was leaking some oil and after wiping the under side down and trying to locate the source I notice that it appeared to be coming from the oil filter cover. The first thing I did was make sure the bolts holding the oil filter cover werent loose and I accidentally over tightened and broke one of them thus making my problem worse :wallbash:

So I order my $9 bolt from the dealer and on his suggestion purchased a "easy out" type bolt extractor. Got home, drilled the pilot hole and started drilling with the easy out... wham! broke the easy out off inside of the broken bolt (bring in second wallbash) :wallbash:

I have no experience drilling metal and don't know what to do now. Are there any suggestions or even kind words of encouragement that may ease my frustration?

The worst part is I'm really not even sure if the oil was even leaking from the oil filter cover, so after all this is fixed I may still have my original problem. God, all I wanted to do was go for a quick ride.
RadioRyder
DAMN Expert

Re: help with broken bolt (frustration story)

Post by RadioRyder »

FOX8505 wrote:I have no experience drilling metal and don't know what to do now. Are there any suggestions or even kind words of encouragement that may ease my frustration?
Only suggestion I have is take it to someone who knows how to do it. I have a friend that lives in my neighborhood who owns a full machine shop and works on dirt bikes and jet ski's. He does all the "in house" machine work for Pete's cycle and Cycle World. Very credible and a very nice guy who does this for a living.

I notice you are in Pasadena where we live. If interested I will give you his phone number. We are down Ft Smallwood Rd by Ft Smallwood Park. He is there all day and would take you right in.
06 Suzuki DR-Z400S
FOX8505

Post by FOX8505 »

That sounds like the perfect plan. I'd love to have his contact info.

Thanks
RadioRyder
DAMN Expert

Post by RadioRyder »

I am PMing you now and will give him a quick call to give him a heads up.
06 Suzuki DR-Z400S
FOX8505

Post by FOX8505 »

Got it, thanks!
RadioRyder
DAMN Expert

Post by RadioRyder »

Anytime. I'm sure Pat will take care of you. I already called to give him a heads up.
06 Suzuki DR-Z400S
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Hey, make sure you do step one --

Take the entire cover off to see if you have a stud poking out of the case. If so, you can shortcut all of this craziness with a pair of Vise Grips.

Years ago, I snapped a bolt on a coolant pipe fitting on a VF750 Magna. I hated that bike. Since it was far from my only bike, it languished for well over a year until I finally got around to trying to extract the bolt. And it was *not* cooperating using easy outs. In fact, I believe I snapped it just like you experienced. So finally, in an effort to get a better view at what I was working with, I removed the other bolt from the fitting and when I pulled the piece off I found that I had at least a 1/4" of stud poking up, which was actually less than when I started drilling away trying to fix it. So, a quick use of Vise Grips and it was out. Another instance of the hate-hate relationship I had with that bike. ;)

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

this method works 100% of the time.

Weld a small rod onto the end of the bolt and then twist the rod. The welding process heats the case and releases the bolt.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
FOX8505

Post by FOX8505 »

Pat got me taken care of, and the XR is alive. Thanks again.
RadioRyder
DAMN Expert

Post by RadioRyder »

FOX8505 wrote:Pat got me taken care of, and the XR is alive. Thanks again.
Yea I spoke to Pat this morning and he said he used a helicoil as he could not save the threads the way the extractor went in and broke. Glad he could help, he is a good guy to know in Pasadena.
06 Suzuki DR-Z400S