I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Michaux sights/highlights?

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Michaux sights/highlights?

Post by Grady »

The fam and I will be camping at Michaux next weekend and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on spots to hit. Any nice overlooks or fire towers, water crossings? I've only been in the area for the dual sport, and don't know much else about the area. Won't hae the bikes this trip, but would still like to do a little driving around. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Unfortunately I heard the public range is now closed for good, so now we're looking for other things to fill the day.
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Michaux sights/highlights?

Post by Boom Boom »

Tony, between Michaux and 7-mountains, IMHO 7-mountains has so much more to offer.
First off you have campgrounds in Coburn and along 322 that both have nice cabins to rent so you will not freeze your ass off.
As far as sights and roads you can 4x4 7-mountains wins hands down.
I cool train tunnel in Poe Paddy SP to walk through with nice bike / hike trail on the other side.
If you do want to ruff it cheap you can still camp at Poe or Poe Paddy SP.
Tons of overlooks, just go on the Bald Eagle SF website and print out a map. The map shows all the overlooks and also shows all the driveable trails (some that I use on the dual sport loop).
Michaux has a lot to offer also, but I live about 15 miles from Michaux and 99% of the time I am heading to 7-mountains for riding / 4x4 / hiking.
If you were to catch a cabin at the campground along 322 you are only a few miles from State College evening activities...........
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

I already have a cabin at Michaux, but maybe next time I'll check into finding one at Bald Eagle.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Grab a map(s) there are plenty of overlooks.
Two nice ones are Hammonds rocks, you can drive, and Pole Steeple, hike (it's across from Laurel Lake).
Kayak or boat at the lakes/reservoir. Long Pine reservoir is nice. Plenty of other hiking, nice trail right at the 30/233 entrance. Hike a piece of t4he Appalachian trail.

Enjoy.

Oh yeah, it's hunting season. Wear something bright :deal:
Bruce
B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Post by B DIRT »

ditto on Long pine dam, I used to kayak it a lot, its quiet and has a nice trail around the lake to hike and like dirty said lots to do a Laurel lake and some history at Pine Grove Furnace
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red
1977 CT90
2008 CRF230L (wifeys)
2003 XR650R (crackbabys)
1999 CR80R (crackbabys)
1972 XL250 (crackbabys)