I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Enduro - Hare Scrambles - What are they like for a newbie?

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Enduro - Hare Scrambles - What are they like for a newbie?

Post by Ovo »

Ok I have my dual sport and I "try" to ride it...Most just Dual Sport events and local riding.

I see Enduro's and Hare Scambles but having never been to one, not really sure who rides in them. By that I mean, are both of these races, to where you are riding as fast as you can? I see there are skill starts - pros up front, skilled riders next, newbies last...

I mean if you know your going to slow, should you even consider these events?

Really just trying to understand these two formats and how they relate to my abilities. LOL Which need much practice.

Thanks
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
CapoGreg

Re: Enduro - Hare Scrambles - What are they like for a newbi

Post by CapoGreg »

Enduros are not about being the fastest, it's about sticking to a set time to complete each section. Riders are waved off the start in 1 minute intervals and you have a certain amount of time to reach the next checkpoint. Arriving early or late costs will earn you points, and winners are determined by whoever has the least amount of points at the end. These require the bike to be street legal, with tags and insurance since they can include public land and roads.

Harescrables are more like traditional racing, think of it as motocross with woods riding too. A harescramble is usually held on the grounds of an MX track and uses adjacent areas to create a mixed-riding experience. Some are more MX oriented, some are more trail oriented. Most harescramble riders use regular MX bikes in competition, and they don't need to be street-legal.

Both are going to be hard on you and the bike, but you'll probably want to start off on some enduros.
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

CapoGreg wrote:Enduros are not about being the fastest, it's about sticking to a set time to complete each section. Riders are waved off the start in 1 minute intervals and you have a certain amount of time to reach the next checkpoint. Arriving early or late costs will earn you points, and winners are determined by whoever has the least amount of points at the end. These require the bike to be street legal, with tags and insurance since they can include public land and roads.

Harescrables are more like traditional racing, think of it as motocross with woods riding too. A harescramble is usually held on the grounds of an MX track and uses adjacent areas to create a mixed-riding experience. Some are more MX oriented, some are more trail oriented. Most harescramble riders use regular MX bikes in competition, and they don't need to be street-legal.

Both are going to be hard on you and the bike, but you'll probably want to start off on some enduros.
While it's true that enduros are timed events and not necessarily a true contest of speed, one must be fast to do well. The speed averages are set high enough in the challenging sections to make you have to work for it. Fast is relative of course - there are A, B & C classes for riders of all skill levels. Just finishing an enduro is something to be proud of when you're starting out - 80 to 100 miles of good trail is a lot of work. There's typically a C rider cutoff which shortens the race some for C riders.

There's absolutely no reason you can't just sign up for an enduro and have fun. Get on a late number and treat it just like a dual sport event, or take it more seriously - it's up to you. I don't ride them often, and when I do I usually don't worry too much about how I do. I have gotten trophies and I have DNF'd early - I stop when it stops being fun. Hardcore enduro guys will call me a wuss for riding with that attitude, but it's what works for me.

I agree with the previous poster in suggesting that you do an enduro before a hare scramble. I've found much more aggressive riders in hare scrambles. As long as you move over for a faster rider in an enduro (proper etiquette since you're racing the clock and not the other riders), it's very unlikely that you'll get punted into the weeds. That's less true in hare scrambles. That said, hare scrambles aren't like mad max style or anything - it's just that there's a little bit more of a race attitude going on.

I enjoy the dual sport events a little bit more than enduros. I don't hurt as bad the next day, I don't feel rushed if I want to stop to catch my breath, etc. They just suit my lazy, ride-for-fun style a little more.

BTW, how's the leg doing? Up for a little local ride soon?
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I have yet to do an Enduro, I'll get around to one sooner or later.

I did do a Harescramble in spring of 09. The other guys are probably correct when they say you might want to try an enduro first. Wingfixer, Rrob, and I left the starting line together and soon we were split up just trying to survive. I don't think it would have been as bad but it had been a very rainy week and it rained the day of the event. I had never experience such a slick muddy substrate as that harescramble. Because of the tough conditions the course was cut down to only about 3 miles. It took me just over two hours to make one lap. Rrob and Wingfixer were smarter then me and cut the course. I only finished b/c I didn't know where to go, except to continue on. If there had been a sign that read, "Quitters this way..." I would have taken it.
I'm not saying don't do a Harescramble, but don't do one thats a rainy, muddy mess. Looking around at the 200 other bikes. We were the only ones there w/ dualsports.
But on the other hand, there is no timekeeping in a harescramble if that appeals to you. Just complete as many laps as you can in the allotted time. Usually two hours.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

The hare scramble was fun but I didn't quit because I was any smarter than anybody else, I just happened to fall next to a course judge that pointed out a short cut back to the parking lot. Also, I had gotten enough mud packed into the radiators that my bike was over heating, that's the excuse I used to head back and I am sticking to it :harhar: .

It was an educational experience, to say the least. I definitely want to do another hare scramble but after learning what an enduro is I really want to try a few of those as well.

Like Bucho said, the three of us where riding the only three tagged bikes that I saw. I would guess that even the KTM he was riding weighed as much as any two of the other bikes we saw there, lots of two strokers and small bore 4s.

I am looking forward to next years hare scramble and enduro season. :cheers:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I saw we throw the gauntlet down, pick an easy enduro and challenge all DAMN riders to participate. :whoop:

It'll be a DAMN infestation...

I've been told if we get there late we can start in the very back of the pack and then it is almost like any other DS ride. I'm game for at least one! :deal:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Post by Ovo »

Kyler wrote:I saw we throw the gauntlet down, pick an easy enduro and challenge all DAMN riders to participate. :whoop:

I've been told if we get there late we can start in the very back of the pack and then it is almost like any other DS ride. I'm game for at least one! :deal:
That sounds like a DAMN good plan...Let the picking begin.

Moto - Yep ankle is feeling much better. Let me check the XT out this weekend. I had some sticking in the steering and I think I may have to get some new bearings in the collar. But if I can get this DRZ on the road anytime soon, I'm down whenever.
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

Kyler wrote:I saw we throw the gauntlet down, pick an easy enduro and challenge all DAMN riders to participate. :whoop:

+1

In be game .... Never done one before, but starting in the back and doing with other noobs and DAMN riders, I'd be game
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

I am absolutely in on this. Just tell me when and where. :) The only weeks I'm not available (for sure) are Daytona and Laconia Bike Weeks because I use those weeks as excuses to go see family and friends (but generally don't actually go to the events).

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
badguy
DAMN Expert

Post by badguy »

I wouldn't mind trying an enduro...I'll be sweeper! :whoop: