I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Cheaper helmets

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Cheaper helmets

Post by Firebolter »

I have always been one of those guys that likes well made stuff. I was willing to pay more for more regarding quality. I usually always were ARAI helmets, street or dirt. The about 5 years ago, when helmet choices started to really become available for so many good prices, I checked out a HJC. I bought a dirt helmet and liked it. 3 years ago, I bought a Shoei VFX something, another dirt helmet. Nice helmet, fit good etc. I have noticed now that the Shoei liner is worn out and sloppy. The HJC still is okay, but I picked up another HJC for 120 bucks to replace it. Been wearing it now for 6 months. Fits okay, flat black so it shows trees, scrubs etc. really well, but no big whoop.

Now comes xmas and i am filling up the xmas bag with stuff from Rocky Mountain. I fill up the shopping cart with what I want, my GF does the check out and buys it. I get what I want, she has zero shopping stress and we both are happy! Good deal right! So I see a Scorpian VX-17 helmet on closeout for 74 bucks, so I throw it in to try it out.

Link to the page. I have the Silver one (above pic, it really is black with some silver on it and blue in the graphics on top)

(http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/produ ... orAttr=173)

Stuff got here yesterday and let me say, the quality feel and look of the helmet is as good as any 400+ dollar helmet I have had. Nice fit, graphics are cool and they sell entire liners for 29-35 dollars so you could rebuild the helmet easily. Scorpian makes another model, the VX-24 that has a custom fit system with a little pump in the chin bar and a release button/valve next to it. So you can inflate the helmet slightly to customize the fit for max protection. pretty cool. That helmet runs 135 bucks.

All of these helmets pass SNELL and ANSI/DOT standards, so they are compliant. They are not cheap like I remember when some of these off brands first started coming out. The fit and finish is good and for 74 bucks, Hell if I get 2 DAMN years out of one, it is a score and then pitch it and buy a new one. I am pretty much sold now, I don't need to spend 400+ bucks to get a good fit and a a quality helmet. Bell's don't fit my head good, the Scorpians do. And with a liner replacement for 35 bucks, that's a deal.

I wonder how many places "actually" make the helmets for:

Shark
Icon
AFX
AGV
Answer
Bell
EVS
Fly Racing
G-Max
HJC
Klim
Moose Racing
MSR
Shark
Sparx
Suomy
Thor MX
Troy Lee Design
Z1R
Zox
Last edited by Firebolter on Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lots of cool bikes---
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Cheaper helmets

Post by Rut Row »

Firebolter wrote:I fill up the shopping cart with what I want, my GF does the check out and buys it.
:huh: can I borrow your GF for a few minutes? :angel:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

You have no idea what you are asking for............... :lol2:
Lots of cool bikes---
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Scorpian has been my helmet of choice for the last couple of years. The only annoying thing is none of the local shops seem to carry them, so you can't try them on locally before you buy. I'm on my second scorpian street helmet. The first one lasted just as well as the Shoei I had before it.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
code
DAMN Poohba

Post by code »

+1 on Bucho's reply. Scorpion is my helmet of choice and prolly will be for some time. In-expensive, excellent customer service, and good protection. You really can't be the cost and quality of these helmets when compared to the others on the market.
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

Bucho wrote:Scorpian has been my helmet of choice for the last couple of years. The only annoying thing is none of the local shops seem to carry them, so you can't try them on locally before you buy. I'm on my second scorpian street helmet. The first one lasted just as well as the Shoei I had before it.
How do the Scorpians run size wise compared to the Shoei? I need an off road helmet. I have a Shoei for the road but would like something else for fun time oenduro/off road.
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

More or less the same.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

My experiences have been mixed. The lower priced helmets fit fine but having hit my head my head my head more times than I wish I had, I have had better crash results with Arai than with HJC. Alas, times are tight and I continue to run a mix of cheap dirt bike helmets and an Arai on asphalt. I do keep an eye out for close outs on the Arais.

I am currently running an AFX on the dirt.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
RadioRyder
DAMN Expert

Post by RadioRyder »

I have the Scorpion dirt helmet you pictured (black & silver) and love it. Kevlar shell is strong and very light. Pete's in Severna Park has them in stock. I went there to try one on and ended up buying it. Fits great and has replaceable padding. Paid way more than $74, for sure, but still happy. It's a steal for the closeout price advertised.
06 Suzuki DR-Z400S
B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Post by B DIRT »

heres a good article on helmet testing dirtrider did, got some good stuff in it

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/web_e ... index.html
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red