I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

suspension confusion

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
skierd
DAMN Expert

suspension confusion

Post by skierd »

I think its time to work on baby's legs a little. I'm a little lost though as I'm having a hard time figuring out how to go about it. I was never well versed with suspension stuff when I was autocrossing and the little I knew then is not transferring well to bikes on dirt in my mind. I'm going to continue doing dual sports, want to try at least one or two easier enduros this year, and the likelyhood of another cross country adventure thanks to recent developments is medium-high, so I want the suspension to beat me up less than it currently does.

The forks I think are pretty close as is. About the only problem I have is after big hits I get a decent amount of spring back from the front end, be it rocks or a SURPRISE! bump in the road, speed bumps, curbs, etc. I had some deflection issues when I lowered the rear an inch with the factory adjustment, rocks were killing me, but raised back up that mostly went away. I definitely need a fluid change (getting close to a year of use, 3 years in the forks, and close to 15,000 miles) and to have the head bearings checked out and greased, which I'm going to have done in January at a local shop (MRP) since I don't want to do that in my apartment parking lot in winter and it needs to get done. RaceTech says the spring rates are about right for my weight. Only physical change I'm planning will be either Amsoil light shock fluid, which is close to stock, or Redline Light shock oil which is slightly heavier for more damping. Opinions? I've got clickers for compression and rebound stock that I've messed with somewhat, definitely need to do more testing.

The rear isn't as happy. I'm getting a lot of harshness on quick bumps like speed bumps at reasonable speeds (somewhat less hard and more controlled if I go faster lol), chattering on washboard surfaces paved or dirt, and feel like there's an overall lack of compliance. I feel like the back end is kicking and slipping when going down rocky trails instead of soaking up the bumps. I feel expansion joints in my spine on the highway. Doesn't feel too bad on smooth pavement or soft soils. Other than setting the clickers to specs recommended by other riders of similar weight and messing with the ride height I haven't touched it.

Debating between having MRP rebuild the shock with RaceTech stuff and helping me set the sag and preload correctly or go through GoRace, a shop in VA that does a rebuild and custom revalve of the stock shock, replacing the shock myself while futzing through the settings. Is there anywhere in the Baltimore area that I can do some testing and clicker fussing without getting arrested? I'm pretty well lost with how I should go about getting the ride that I want. Basically hoping for more compliance over rocks, better hookup on acceleration, and less harshness everywhere. I think. :shrug:
Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time...
'08 WR250R w/ an X change
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Re: suspension confusion

Post by Junior »

skierd wrote: Debating between having MRP rebuild the shock with RaceTech stuff and helping me set the sag and preload correctly
You can`t go wrong hav`ing Kenny (MRP) doing the work. He knows his stuff :bow:. It`s funny i`m on my way to see him today about my bike. I`m sure i could do it myself but, I plain on hav`ing the DR for so time so i want it right.
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
skierd
DAMN Expert

Post by skierd »

They're definitely getting to do the front end, I'm more debating between race tech or the other guy.

FYI, there are adjustments for compression and rebound on the forks and the shock. More clicks = softer setting.
front rebound - 1 to 24 clicks out
front compression - 1 to 20 clicks out
rear rebound - 3-25 clicks out
rear compression - 1-12 clicks.

Ride height and preload are also separately adjustable, both are set at stock positions right now. I've been told elsewhere I should look at more rebound up front and less compression and/or less preload in the rear based on what I'm describing so...

Stock settings are:
FR - 10
FC - 10
RR - 12
RC - 10

A popular setup touted by a couple guys on ADV is what I had been running:
FR - 15-20
FC - 15
RR - 3
RC - 6

In attempt to get more compliance on the front end, I went the wrong(?) direction and soften the front rebound at the Dabbers dual sport back in June and promptly forgot about it so I've been running 1-2 clicks off full soft (didn't count back). I changed the front rebound back to stock (10, significantly stiffer) and the rear compression back to stock (10clicks, much softer). Left preload alone, its too cold to mess with that right now. Leave for my last final in about an hour, we'll see how it goes.
brappp
DAMN Expert

Post by brappp »

i highly recommend local suspension guru Allen Shaffer @ ASR-4 Suspension Works!! :bow:

http://www.asr-4suspension.com/

give him a call and talk with him.. the guy really knows his shit and if you end up getting any work done, he is local (right outside of Winchester, bring your bike), super honest, very quick and extremely affordable/reasonable.. he is a rider as well and knows all kinds of woods and mx setups for both euro and jap bikes.. he has setup most of the competitive NVTR and R&T riders, plus lots of the VCHSS, ECEA and National Enduro series riders..

a phone call will not cost you a dime and you will see for yourself.. :thumbup:
Tommy
08 KTM 280XCF
07 KTM 525EXC
06 Scorpa SY175F
85 Yamaha YZ125N
WATR, GMER, R&T, ECEA, AMA-D7
" DEATH before DNF!! "
skierd
DAMN Expert

Post by skierd »

Playing with the clickers was even cheaper, free!

Both adjustments helped significantly. I took a way home through Baltimore that I often take leaving work when I work in Fells Point, so its a stretch of pretty awful pavement that I ride a lot and know pretty well. Expansion joints still kick the front end up but not nearly as bad, and the rear goes over with much less drama. Speed bumps are much smoother at speed than before too, again both ends. Broken washboarded pavement is still rough obviously but the chatter has been reduced significantly. Its not a magic carpet ride, but things are definitely much improved.

I need to start a log and just try new settings. Except for missing gullies running across the road some of the city streets are worse than the fire roads we're usually on out in western MD lol. If I get a warmish day with time off I'll try to measure and set the sag and preload finally so I'm at least starting right.
brappp
DAMN Expert

Post by brappp »

yeah, first off check and set your sag (static vs. rider/race) to spec.. if you can't get your sag proper, you'll need to get the right springs for your weight.. clickers are mainly for fine tuning.. sure, clickers will help, but sag has to be proper for your suspenders to work correctly..
Tommy
08 KTM 280XCF
07 KTM 525EXC
06 Scorpa SY175F
85 Yamaha YZ125N
WATR, GMER, R&T, ECEA, AMA-D7
" DEATH before DNF!! "