I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

525 Master link tools

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
OldmanX
DAMN Expert

Re: 525 Master link tools

Post by OldmanX » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:57 am

Boom Boom wrote:Is there any advantage to using the crimp style link vs the clip? :shrug:
Seem like a PIA to me, no way to pull the chain to soak for a good cleaning with the crimp links.
Since you asked... The main advantage to using a riveted chain is that there's no master clip to wear thin while passing thru the chain guides and break/fall off at inopportune times. And with an o-ring chain there's no real advantage to pulling/soaking the chain because the areas needing lubrication are sealed by the o-rings, so you're accomplishing nothing for chain's the internal bearing surfaces by soaking it. And if you soak it in the wrong solvent and damage the o-rings, you've harmed the chain rather than improving it. If you insist on pulling the chain for soaking/cleaning, then while the swingarm is off you have the perfect opportunity to grease the oft neglected swingarm bearings.
530 XCR-W...plated
300 XC
WR450
XR600R...for sale

bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Re: 525 Master link tools

Post by bonehead » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:00 pm

Thanks for all of your help everyone. I got the chain done and I am looking forward to riding it again soon.
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!