I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Dumb Question time - Handguards

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Dumb Question time - Handguards

Post by Rut Row »

Okay - so I installed new bars (gonna feel funny riding with straight bars) and reinstalled the handguards. I rolled the clutch and brake further forward so my fingers are straight instead of having my wrists rolled back to get on the levers. This leaves the levers below the handguards which would allow something to clip the levers and possibly bend them.

If I move the guards to a 45 degree downward position, they would protect the levers but expose my hands.

so, pray tell, what IS the proper mounting position? :shrug:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Re: Dumb Question time - Handguards

Post by hondahawkrider »

Kyler wrote:Okay - so I installed new bars (gonna feel funny riding with straight bars) and reinstalled the handguards. I rolled the clutch and brake further forward so my fingers are straight instead of having my wrists rolled back to get on the levers. This leaves the levers below the handguards which would allow something to clip the levers and possibly bend them.

If I move the guards to a 45 degree downward position, they would protect the levers but expose my hands.

so, pray tell, what IS the proper mounting position? :shrug:
Hand guards are to protect the levers ...
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

My levers are lower then my handgruads and i have never had a problem. I wreck all the time. Levers are cheap broken fingers suck. :shrug:
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

hondahawkrider wrote:Hand guards are to protect the levers ...
then they are mislabeled! should be called lever guards :lol2:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

Kyler wrote:
hondahawkrider wrote:Hand guards are to protect the levers ...
then they are mislabeled! should be called lever guards :lol2:
I agree but think about it... How often are you hands exactly inside the guard when your going down. There are allot of different way you hands can move inside them that expose them to injury.. Basically they bounce around inside em, and yes they do protect them to a point, but it's not an exact thing... However, the levers don't move and if they are exposed there is a greater chance they will break... I've been trailside with a broken clutch, and no replacement, it sucks. It was a tip over and not much of my body was at much risk, but my lever snapped quick and easy enough...
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

I was watching some video that said the bars should be level to the ground so you can work them better, so if you line the guards up to protect the levers in this position, they would also protect your hands. At the time when I watched this video, my levers and guards were both pointed down at a 45 degree angle like a street rider. I tried them both fairly flat on Wednesday and they worked fine for me. YMMV.

Oh, one thing that did suck is when I fell down, my guard twisted up on the bar and broke the wires to my hydraulic pressure brake light switch. So make sure the guard is tight. :-/

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I have my guards level and my levers slightly angled down.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

I use mine more for brushing off trees and keep them flat so less chance of bending up or down in impact. I also run my levers flat and always have a finger over each brake and clutch while standing riding (just trials riding habit) . Levers pointing down drive me nutz, when doing a large drop off something and you go for the lever it will normally be out of reach and only make your situation worse.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

You short people have it made. Ergonomics isn't a big issue. :fitz:

Lafferty and others write that you should set the levers to be comfortable in the attack position. That has mine rotated down significantly.

[youtubeurl][/youtubeurl]

it is tough to see the handguard bar in this pic but they cover the levers. To do the same rotates my guards nearly 45 degrees. :huh:

I guess I'll rotate the levers back up and compromise.
Ken
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

Kyler wrote:I guess I'll rotate the levers back up and compromise.
I think you should do what feels the most comfortable to you. It`s you`r ride :roost:
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX