I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Vertemati trouble

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Vertemati trouble

Post by mdubya »

restukey helped me extract the motor from my Vertemati so we could see if we could figure out why it had started smoking at the end of a track day late last summer.

Top end exposed, we did a leak down test. The test wasn't too bad, but showed a little leakage from one valve. We were really second guessing if there was anything wrong. We were reluctant to pull the head due to a very difficult supply chain for parts (head gasket). We finally decided we had come this far, better keep going.

Good thing we did too.

The barrel and case are a single unit. To fix this, every thing needs to be extracted through the side of the case. Scrape marks on the top of the piston are from using a screw driver down the plug hole to find CTDC - not damage.

Anyone know any brave builders? I am pretty sure I can get most of what is needed for repairs, but I will need to figure out who can tackle the damage to the cylinder wall.

The motor is based off of a Husaberg motor circa 2002.

Special thanks to dpasseto for use of his temporarily vacant garage. :thumbup:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Vertemati trouble

Post by Rut Row »

Call Brian Kohl
8758 Ft Laurens Rd NW
Strasburg, OH 44680
(330) 327-8754
bkk448@yahoo.com

He's a former pro racer, former owner of a M/C shop, etc - he salvaged my CR500

tell him I sent you
mdubya wrote:Anyone know any brave builders? I am pretty sure I can get most of what is needed for repairs, but I will need to figure out who can tackle the damage to the cylinder wall.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Just for the sake of learning, WTF am I supposed to be looking at? :shrug:

Looks fine to me :lol2:
Bruce
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

dirtygrunt wrote:Just for the sake of learning, WTF am I supposed to be looking at? :shrug:

Looks fine to me :lol2:
Bottom photo, there is scoring on the cylinder wall above the piston and what looks like aluminum smeared on the cylinder walljust above the piston. Also, that the top, you can see where oil has been leaking past the rings.

Truth is, some of my expert motor building buddies thought it might not be so bad either. I am working on getting a more demonstrative diagnosis so I can figure out how to move forward.

:rickey:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC