I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

five guys and a floral sheet go to Moab.

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Re: five guys and a floral sheet go to Moab.

Post by Wingfixer »

One of many, many cattle gates we would cross. Don't worry, I won't post pictures of them all.

As the riding went on the pictures got fewer, it was just too much fun to rail and ride. Then the trail got harder and no one (ok, me) had breath to stop and snap. The trail to the top of the World was a real treat. Words just can't adequately describe it and pictures would not have done it justice but here are a few from the end of the road, literally. Top of the World!!

Funny story about this. When you come up to the edge there are no signs and no way to know what is coming. In fact it looks like just a dip in the trail. No indication that there is a multiple thousand foot drop RIGHT THE f_ck THERE!!!

So, I was the first person to the top and parked my bike kinda close to the edge (that's just the kinda guy I am) about the time I am climbing off the bike Pete is coming up the trail behind me. He is about 25-30 yards away and I see him get this look in his eye. A look I had seen him get the 50 or so times he had popped a good wheelie so far this day. I had this sudden image of him riding the biggest wheelie of his life and ran in front of him with my hands up as his throttle elbow was raising to strangle position. He claimed I saved his life, maybe - I dunno, but he gave me a cool tee shirt for the effort. Seems fair.

^^^click for video^^^

Jay and my spot for lunch:

I can honestly say I have never had a lunch view or the leg room I had this day.

The trip down the mountain:

Hey Jay! Where we going now?
WUT?

Lotsa road dude, let's get goin'!!

Utah high speed road:

Which way to the cabin?

Man cave:

Man in a cave:

End of Day 1.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

Wow- that sure looks like a lot of fun. Great cabin location!

More pics and report please.
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
RadioRyder
DAMN Expert

Post by RadioRyder »

WOW, the scenery is awesome! That looked like a really fun and full 1st day. My wife is enjoying the pictures and report too, maybe she's starting to "get it"?? Wait, who am I kidding :peep:

Can't wait to see day 2, 3, 4... :lurker:
06 Suzuki DR-Z400S
Daves08excr
DAMN Poohba

Post by Daves08excr »

Great pics guys keep um coming.Looks like a lot of fun.DAMN im tired of watching other people ride great places.Its time to start planing a trip.I'm thinking maybe headind to canada.With the klr it will make the trip easyer.
2021 Africa twin.
2022 Kayo k6-EFI.

WELCOME TO THE DIRT SIDE.
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Day 2, tuesday:

The plan was to ride the White Rim Trail all the way around but we found out that a section was closed due to flooding from the Colorado River. So, as was the case for a lot of the days, we modified our plans.

I dubbed this the Wyle E. Coyote Rock:

Several tried to push it over, it looked like it wouldn't take much:

I am not sure what the story to the wife of the looser of this game woulda been:

So the plan was to ride the White Rim toward the obstruction and then turn back, due to some wheel bearings and a late start caused by SNOW in the morning we didn't make it that far.

Along the way we passed a slag pond from a potash plant:

I am not sure why but the water in the slag pond was this iridescent blue. You might also notice that the panoramic feature on my new camera had a learning curve, they get better.

Our first sighting of the Colorado River:

Jay, doing his Karate Kid impersonation:

You see that GoPro? I hate that thing! I thought I was getting some killer video but it took all week for me to get the bugs worked out, then I seem to have lost the memory card that had the best stuff on it. :wallbash:

Better panoramic shot of the Colorado:

Just awesome scenery:

Some dudes traveling in style, slowly. . .
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

By the second day we had grown used to the sudden drops, until you paid attention, then it could be pretty scary.

Don't do it Pete!!!

You put yer keys where ?!?

Pete'll help ya get them.

The geology was way cool! The different layers of rock was easy to spot and in the next few pictures you can see how it looks like the rock below the top layer eroded away and the top layer tumbled down.

Great views, coming and going:

About 20 or so miles from the point we would have to turn back Junior felt his rear end get loose (hehe) so we stopped for lunch and he turned back to "limp" it home.

Jay takes an after lunch relief:

On the way back to the meeting spot Jay, Pete and I did this 4 mile side trail that took us down to the Colorado River. I thought I got some killer video of it, fuckin' GoPro.

We met back at the intersection of Potash Trail and Shaffer Trail. Junior had been waiting for us and a park ranger was kind enough to inform him he had lost his tag at some point on the White Rim Trail. We headed up the Shaffer Trail to the Shaffer Switch backs:

Look close, there are bikes in this picture:

Zoomed in a bit:

Looking down at the switch backs:

Did I say down?

No Jay, I don't think you will get reception out there either.

On the way back to Moab we topped to see the Gemini Bridges. Really cool spot, one of many, and we went past a trail called Metal Bender, one of several that I wanted to hit that we just didn't have the time for.

I took this picture on one side of the bridge as we walked into the area, pretty cool shadows.

When we where walking out we realized we had been standing on this rather skinny shelf. I wonder why Junior wouldn't stand in the middle of the trail this time?

Looking down off the bridges:

A little zoom for perspective:

Some dude in a jeep made a very bad wrong turn here:

The bikes:

Once back in Moab we stopped at a place called Milts' for dinner:

Great burgers and shakes

And, just like that, Day 2 is done.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Next time Skinny-J asks if I want to go for a ride, I'm saying YES! :wallbash:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Kyler wrote:Next time Skinny-J asks if I want to go for a ride, I'm saying YES! :wallbash:
Next year is the Continental Divide!! Day three will be up as soon as they get uploaded to Photobucket.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Wingfixer wrote:
Kyler wrote:Next time Skinny-J asks if I want to go for a ride, I'm saying YES! :wallbash:
Next year is the Continental Divide!! Day three will be up as soon as they get uploaded to Photobucket.
Dear Skinny-J.

Please do not ask me to go next year. I promised my Beloved Spousal Unit I would take her to Ireland. PS. I'm on my third marriage and can't afford another divorce so please DO NOT ask! :censored:

v/r

Ken
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Day 3, wednesday, a day that Junior would just as soon forget.

This pictures pretty much sums up the last half of the day:

It was raining pretty hard when we woke up and we delayed our departure for as long as we could. The plan was to ride out to Chicken Corners then back track to pick up the Lockheart basin trail. This would bring us out at Needles where the plan was to ride Elephant Back to see the confluence of the Colorado and Green rivers. Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans. . . . .

The good news is, I got the GoPro to cooperate. I finally got a recording of the 13 mile ride down from the cabin:
^^^Click for video^^^ (someday someone will show me how to embed a video)

At the bottom I rode over a "Lions Back" type rock. After seeing the actual Lions Back (closed to the public) this one is definitely a miniature version:
^^^Click for Video^^^

From the outset we knew we had left way too late to do the ride as scheduled, it was a planned 180+ mile day, so we took our time and took in the sights. Plus, it was still raining pretty hard, off and on.

Took some time to smell the ah,,,,flowers.

We got to the intersection of the trail to Hurray Pass, and Chicken Corners beyond and Cane Creek Trail. The modified plan was to get to Chicken Corners then come back to do Kane Creek.

Fricken kids:

A picture without the riff-raff:

On to Hurray Pass:

We got to Hurray Pass and it was raining its ass off:

The five of us conferred and two decided to turn back, even though it looked like we could ride out from under the storm if we continued on. It was at this point Junior made the (in)famous statement "Adventure is that way!" Said as he points down trail.

And then there was three:

Sure enough, 15 minutes down the trail the sun came out and we started to really enjoy the ride.

And then.......In the middle of the trail there was this really cool jump that we all hit and then I got the bright idea that we should turn around and I would get pictures of us jumping it. What could possibly go wrong. . . . . . .

Junior:

Jay:

Jay got some serious air and nearly biffed it big time. I heard this but did not see it happen, Junior said it was epic. As Jay rode back up to us I heard him say "SHIT!" I thought he had hurt himself but then I looked where he was pointing, a growing pool of oil under Junior's 650. SHIT!! didn't quite cover it.

I didn't get any pictures of that damage but I did get one of a puddle being made:

I guess Jay was trying to be sympathetic.

Anyway, a passing couple in a Jeep gave us a couple tie straps and I started towing Junior and the 650 while Jay boosted ahead to get a cell signal and call for help. At this point we where 39 miles from the cabin. After towing him for about 6 miles Jay rode back and said he had ran into a couple with a pickup that would get the busted bike to Moab:

The ride of shame:
^^^Click for video^^^

At the end of that video the girl driving the truck slowed WAY down and I stalled the bike before I could get to the clutch. I dropped it and that was the end of the right mirror.

On the way back Jay and I explored a couple side trails letting the pickup get a little ahead of us. We got surprised at the pace the girl was putting on though.

In the end they took the bike and Junior all the way to the cabin. DAMN nice of them and I would have made them honorary DAMN riders but went into town to get some stuff to fix the bike and didn't see them again.

And that was the end of day 3.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.