I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Spousel Units

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Spousel Units

Post by bonehead »

So, my wife doesn't like motorcycles. They aren't "safe". I on the other hand can't get enough of riding. We came to blows this weekend when I tried to take my daughter for a backroads ride. It was all bad. How do I convince her it is safe enough to take my 8yr old daughter for a ride? not looking to do highway but I live in New Windsor and there are alot of quite back roads and such to ride.

:lurker:
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: Spousel Units

Post by Laoch »

Fun ain't it? :lol2:

I was riding berfore we got married, Wifey rode with on the back a few times. I always had a bike, and always rode. When my son was 8 or 9 I got him a PW and we went from there. I guess my Wifey knew that it was safe, because it was part of what I do.

Maybe try slow trip in the yard, around the block and build :shrug: Ot get Jr a PW50 :thumbup:
Bruce
zamobro9
DAMN Expert

Post by zamobro9 »

all i can say is good luck, i'm in the same boat :frustrated:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I'm thinking you are f*cked. :fitz:

But, you might start with just taking her for rides around the yard, then work up to up/down the street. :shrug:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

I'm pretty fortunate in that my wife rides a little, and encourages the idea of our daughters riding. We have a PW50 and TY80 for the girls, and my wife has a TTR125L & XT225. She (wife) rode a fair amount before kids, and now rides almost never post-kids. I hope that will change, but I don't push...

That said, my wife recognizes that it is not entirely safe. She recognizes the risks, and is willing to accept them (in moderation) for the girls. She prefers that I only ride with the girls off-road (yard, mainly), but doesn't protest when I take the 8 year old for short rides on local back roads (we live in a lightly populated area as well).

I guess what I'm getting at is that convincing your wife that it is "safe" might not be possible. It's really not completely safe. Convincing her that you've successfully stacked the odds in your favor (safety gear, carefully picked roads, etc.) might be possible.

Good luck!

My wife took this pic a year or so ago (me & our girls on my wife's XT):

old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Yours looks and sounds like a good plan junky. :thumbup:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

You guys might be surprised to read that I am not a big proponent of motorcycles, especially street bikes. They are dangerous and I have lost those near and dear to me that rode and died on them.

I wince when people say it looks like fun. Yeah, it can be, but it is fuggin dangerous too. It is never fun when you are bouncing off a guard rail, or the bumper of a truck. I can deal with the consequences for myself. I would hate to be responsible for the consequences of someone else.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Moto-J has the plan.
I haul kids around on smaller bikes in the woods or around the house but not on the road. Well not on the road until I am sure of them being a good rider.
Putzing around the yard chopping the throttle - chasing the dog - all that good stuff is fun and keeps them entertainer. If something happens it is at slow speed and in the dirt.
You get a kid on the back of a big bike riding down the road that is not "seasoned" riding on a bike and the get bored and start moving around. Feet and spokes are an issue and next thing you are paying attention to them and not the road. Bad things happen far to fast for you to react when you are busy trying to entertain a kid.
Putz them around on the front of the bike where you can talk with them, let them help you with giving it gas (or so they think they are).
Just keep them off the street until you are sure they are up for the responsibility.
I don't have any kids but am responsible for getting many of them hooked on the love of cycles.
None of that required any street riding........
Just my 2-cents.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

I have been doing the bakyard thing for years now. She also has her own 4 wheeler for 2 yrs and really loves it.

I guess it makes me defensive when my wife says motorcycles arent worht the risk. I know they are not as safe as riding around in my dually.
My wife and I are much different in many ways, I skydive, shoot, rock climb, cave, and ride motorcycles. She doesnt do any of those things. They are to dangerous. I like the thrills and adventures. She doesn't. It makes things hard sometimes at best. Love is a bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has always gotten me in trouble :dirtdog:
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Plenty of fun to be had without taking the kids out on the street.
If some idiot (you know we have plenty of them) was to hit you and your kid was hurt you would never live with yourself.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr