I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Help with new bike

Buy, sell, trade... or just give away the DAMN thing! :deal:
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Help with new bike

Post by phoo »

So, I may be looking for a new bike. Here are my requirements:

1) Lighter than a WR400
2) At least as powerful as a WR400
3) Street legal
4) Fairly cheap, without being a piece of junk and while still meeting the first three requirements

After riding BoomBoom's GasGas EC300, and from comments from a few different people regarding my current steed, I'm entertaining the idea of getting a bike that is more suited for the style of riding I like -- harder, tighter, more challenging stuff. I will keep my WR, of course, but for enduros and things that are more gnarly I would like to have the option of something else more appropriate.

Here's my big problem -- I just refinanced a house that had a mortgage that was underwater, so my cash is much more limited than it was two months ago. I loved the EC300, but what other models are available, and what years are good / when did the model enter "the modern age" with good suspension and the like?

Thanks,

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Help with new bike

Post by Bucho »

Probably any of the euro 250/300 two stroke enduros from the last ten years or so.

I only say the euro bikes b/c they are easier to get a tag for.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Being an outsider to the two-stroke scene, actual model names would be tremendously helpful.

GasGas EC300
KTM 300 EXC (?)

Oh, and I forgot to mention the requirement of having an electric start. Very important. :)

~Patrick
1975 Harley FXE1200
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

phoo wrote:Being an outsider to the two-stroke scene, actual model names would be tremendously helpful.

GasGas EC300
KTM 300 EXC (?)

Oh, and I forgot to mention the requirement of having an electric start. Very important. :)

~Patrick
wr 300 husky
husaburg ? (that spelling my be wrong)
How heavy is your 400?
My vote would be gas gas or husky, But i think ktm has an e button 2stroke?
Good luck!!!!!!!!! Maybe you should buy that crfx????
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
waserman
DAMN Expert

Post by waserman »

Sounds like your talking the power to weight ratio. The comments about the 2 strokes are correct any of the Euro bikes will be better IMO, and closer to being ready to go right from the factory. Now that you've riden Mikes bike and I haven't thrown a leg over a GG in years, you may find it hard to compare another bike to it because he has his bike"dialed in", and the Gas Gas 300 is state of the art with its componets. I have to say that some of the small bore 2 strokes out there and I've have had several, and I'm not little either, would surprise the hell out of you if you haven't tried them. Now 250 and up your talking plenty of power and I love the open class bikes been riding them for years, but if you want something for really tough events then you want something that won't tire you out and won't get you into trouble. My choice would be the same as Mikes, 300cc 2st gas gas, ktm, tm , husqvarna, Husaberg(blue KTM) or if I wanted light and powerful KTM 200 but if your big you will have to ride it like a 125, but it will do it and you can literally whip those things through the trees without it tiring you out. I would say 05 on would be the years to look for they changed soo much in the last 7 years .
John

DER ECEA AMA
Class: A Super Senior, open

Husqvarna TE 510
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Thanks for the great info. My WR400, according to the Web, weighs about 268 "real" pounds with an empty tank. A GasGas EC300 weighs about 235 pounds (mfg spec) with an empty tank.

The GasGas just felt much lighter, plus despite the difference in weight only being 30 pounds, that's still almost 13% heavier for the WR400.

~Patrick
1975 Harley FXE1200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

That DAMN Boom Boom :lol2:

His other Bud who was riding with us that day sold the GG he had in his truck. Too bad, that would have fit your bill.

http://www.ktm.com/freeride/freeride-35 ... ights.html :deal:
Last edited by Laoch on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bruce
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Lots of good info above, but to help you out we need a budget.....
Your requirement of an e-start on a smoker just narrowed your search to a 2011 or newer Gas Gas and a KTM (250 - 300) I think 08 was when the e-start was offered.
Finding either brand with the e-start option will be an interesting chore.
Lots of guys with the e-start KTM have removed them because they did not work all that well. Mine works OK but when cold I normally have to give a kick just not to over work the starter. The are more of a "start assist" vs a starter found on most 4-strokes.
Pending your budget you may have to stay with a 4-stroke if having a e-button is that important to you.
I honestly could care less if mine had e-start but I must say once you have it you will be spoiled.
The KTM (250 and 300) will be a 5 speed and the 200 is a 6 speed (unless you are going for the 2011 KTM's, they had 6 speeds)
All Gas Gas will come with a 6 speed.
The WR- Huskys will be 5 speed also.
If your plan is to plate for enduro and some dual sport use then you should think about the tranny ratio.
The Husky smokers are very tight geared and worse yet only a 5 speed, not a good option for any road speed riding.
The 5 speed KTM has a decent gear ratio for DS stuff if you stay with the "w" tranny.
My Gas Gas has a nice range tranny that is still low enough for tight woods with minor clutch work but I can still run the road @ 50 mph with easy and can do short runs up to 70 when needed.
Husky, KTM, Gas Gas all came with "open titles" so plating was possible with out having to do a reconstructed title. The down side of buying used is many guys purchased for race / off-road use and did not title the bike as "MC" from new. Check the title very close before committing to buy, IMHO it is not worth the effort going through the reconstruction process, just keep looking till you fine a bike that is plated or has a "MC" title.
Everything above is based on the bike being a 2-stroke.
Many more options if you stay with a 4-stroke.
I just enjoy riding the 2-stroke so much more.
If you are keeping the Yammy for dualsport stuff and only want a smoker for 100% off road you have so many more options and far less money.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

The 2strokes are generally pretty easy to kick compared to 4 strokes. My old YZ250f was a bitch to kick. My KTM is easy and only once in a while do you stall out on a steep incline where you cant hold the bike and kick it at the same time.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200