2012 Annual Michaux Dual Sport - Aug 12th

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
GearedUp
DAMN Expert

Re: 2012 Annual Michaux Dual Sport (24th of 25)

Post by GearedUp » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:23 am

Kyler wrote: I think this scheduling is a great boon for us average guys. All you fast enduro guys will be at the race and the rest of us can ride without being concerned about being run over.
Hmmmm a limited number of riders, and not so many enduro racers.....

I'm IN.
Gary

KTM 530EXC
Kawasaki KLR650
KTM Adventure 1190R

billy jack
DAMN Wanabe

Post by billy jack » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:36 am

Kyler wrote:
bonehead wrote:I am in
can't wait to see you flogging that 950 around! :harhar:
Wait till you see my tiny 130lbs ass on my 1200gs. I'd like to get someone with a camera just to see it myself. Although the stuff i've been on in michaux wasn't too tough, but still fun
"that's NOT a chainsaw strapped to the back of your harley is it!"
"It was when I strapped it on there..."

zamobro9
DAMN Expert

Post by zamobro9 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:44 pm

in :thumbup:

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:05 pm

here's the latest
Dear Dual Sport riders:

Attached you will find the application for entry into the August 12th Michaux Dual Sport.

The 2012 event will be similar to prior events with a few exceptions. We will keep it interesting by mixing up a variety in the options. The distance before lunch will be considerably longer than the after lunch mileage. Well go directly from the registration lot to the Breakfast stop a few miles away. Enjoy the refreshments at the breakfast stop as lunch will be a little later than usual. The after lunch route will be shorter than the before lunch in miles, but will contain some great options and does not deviate far from the start/finish. As always, ice cream at the finish.
This will be the 24th of 25 Michaux Dual Sports. Next year we are considering having a 2 day event to celebrate the silver anniversary, and possibly the last, of this classic event. Some have asked why this event ends at 25 years. It is NOT a Forestry mandate. They have, through the years, been very positive regarding this event.
The same people have made this event happen for a quarter of a century, and these three people aren't getting any younger. There have been attempts to bring new "blood" into the management arena of this event, but it seemed to never have any longevity. One of the problems with getting people involved is that promoting and executing this event does not involve riding motorcycles to a great degree. We ask the Forestry department for one weekend per year to do the mileage calibration for the route sheet. This is the one time per year that we can use motorcycles in the forest other than the weekend of the event. The vast majority of the layout is done by bicycle or walking to prevent conflicts with other forest users. Should there be someone out there that would be willing to take on some of the responsibilities of this event, accepting the all work and no play it involves, we may consider going beyond 25 years.

Please contact Mark Williams at markecowater@pa.net or 717-253-5157 to discuss.
Enjoy the ride on August 12, 2012.

Sincerely,
The M.O.R.E. club
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

phoo
Benevolent Dictator

Post by phoo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:04 pm

Bicycle or pedestrian certainly makes putting together a ride with dozens of miles that much harder. I appreciated their efforts before. I appreciate it even more now.

Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:17 pm

I know we arent a club, but it would be cool to see this event keep going, especially since it is one of the closer riding events.
Michaux D S, put on by the DAMNriders! I dont know if I could be a point man, but Id be willing to put some time into it.
Kyler wrote:here's the latest
Dear Dual Sport riders:

Attached you will find the application for entry into the August 12th Michaux Dual Sport.

The 2012 event will be similar to prior events with a few exceptions. We will keep it interesting by mixing up a variety in the options. The distance before lunch will be considerably longer than the after lunch mileage. Well go directly from the registration lot to the Breakfast stop a few miles away. Enjoy the refreshments at the breakfast stop as lunch will be a little later than usual. The after lunch route will be shorter than the before lunch in miles, but will contain some great options and does not deviate far from the start/finish. As always, ice cream at the finish.
This will be the 24th of 25 Michaux Dual Sports. Next year we are considering having a 2 day event to celebrate the silver anniversary, and possibly the last, of this classic event. Some have asked why this event ends at 25 years. It is NOT a Forestry mandate. They have, through the years, been very positive regarding this event.
The same people have made this event happen for a quarter of a century, and these three people aren't getting any younger. There have been attempts to bring new "blood" into the management arena of this event, but it seemed to never have any longevity. One of the problems with getting people involved is that promoting and executing this event does not involve riding motorcycles to a great degree. We ask the Forestry department for one weekend per year to do the mileage calibration for the route sheet. This is the one time per year that we can use motorcycles in the forest other than the weekend of the event. The vast majority of the layout is done by bicycle or walking to prevent conflicts with other forest users. Should there be someone out there that would be willing to take on some of the responsibilities of this event, accepting the all work and no play it involves, we may consider going beyond 25 years.

Please contact Mark Williams at markecowater@pa.net or 717-253-5157 to discuss.
Enjoy the ride on August 12, 2012.

Sincerely,
The M.O.R.E. club
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Surron UltraBee

Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:35 am

Bucho wrote:I know we arent a club, but it would be cool to see this event keep going, especially since it is one of the closer riding events.
Michaux D S, put on by the DAMNriders! I dont know if I could be a point man, but Id be willing to put some time into it.
I remember this from last year. They (MORE) would probably provide support WRT the 5 Ws. I think they really need people to do the grunt work. I'd be up for it. I grew up running around Michaux. There are possibilities. Maybe we have to join MORE or get an "organized" club involved, something like that?
Bruce

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:02 am

dirtygrunt wrote:
Bucho wrote:I know we arent a club, but it would be cool to see this event keep going, especially since it is one of the closer riding events.
I remember this from last year. They (MORE) would probably provide support WRT the 5 Ws. I think they really need people to do the grunt work. I'd be up for it. I grew up running around Michaux. There are possibilities. Maybe we have to join MORE or get an "organized" club involved, something like that?
We'd need to change the name "The 26th of 25 MORE DAMN Michaux DS ride!"
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:49 pm

Mark has had plenty of guys, including me that say they are going to help and do help a few days here or there but thats not enough. He needs someone that will really step up and help full time. Still its not a crazy amount of work, most of it is done trail wise, its more wanting to be ready watch how he and they do it and then take it over. I think mark is even fine with helping but he needs to find some real help to help him, Mark Skip and Nichole have done this forever and always done a pro job at it, they get a well deserve a break. Looks like he going to have to find someone he feels he can give the reins over to in short order or else no Michaux Dual Sport, and that can't happen... this is the closest, best ride we got to lose it will mean forever.

I have tried to rally some of our Gunpowder guys and local friends to no avail and I was thinking GMER but we have a full boat now. I was also thinking R&T as a club to do it but if you can get a little help you dont need a club to do this, Mark has all that official stuff covered. You dont need to really even know anything about events, just have an unwavering commitment to do this for a few years to come and pass it on to someone worthy when your time comes.

Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:59 pm

Hare wrote: I was also thinking R&T as a club to do it but if you can get a little help you dont need a club to do this.
True, you don't need a club, but you do need a body that can get the permits, insurance and all of the other necessities to make it happen, and R&T is streched thin right now------We have a great ADV ride in the wings and are struggling with when we could do that! between the hare scrambles, enduro and trials event, it take alot of effort.

This is a great event, I love it and would love to see it continue. Maybe one of the other "MD" clubs could take it on? Or WATR?
Lots of cool bikes---