I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

FS: Yamaha WR250R turned X, Maryland

Buy, sell, trade... or just give away the DAMN thing! :deal:
skierd
DAMN Expert

FS: Yamaha WR250R turned X, Maryland

Post by skierd »

Its time to move on. The dual sport thing has been great for getting me into riding and touring, but after 3 years(!) and nearly 50,000 miles on the same kind of bike its time for a change.

The bike in question and the instigator:

and what may be the nail in the coffin

:)

Y'all should know this bike. :ride:

I purchased this 2008 Yamaha WR250R brand new from Fredericktown Yamaha in late January 2010 with 13 miles on it. As of coming home tonight it has 30,680 miles on it. With the weather we're expecting that mileage will be climbing less quickly than usual but don't expect it to stay under 31k for long unless it sells instantly. I'll have some new/current pictures of it on Sunday after I get a chance to clean it up but for now...

Grabbing a tag in the MD Tag game last week

an earlier tag

last fall right after the X change

And my favorite travel pic from this April when it was still and R...

Until this past September my WR was my sole form of transportation and as such 75% of its mileage was straight commuting. I took a 6600 mile road trip on it in April 2011 from Baltimore to Key West to Tulsa and back. Its been ridden in the Durty Dabbers Dual Sport once, the Michaux Dual Sport twice (once as an R, once as an X), and numerous other fun DS rides. It has been drowned once, in Town Creek in Green Ridge State Forest in May? 2010, an easy 20-25,000 miles ago but the kill switch was hit before it went under and it was never run with water in the oil (trailered home from the creek by a friend).

It has been maintained constantly, oil changes every 1500-2500 miles depending on how long it took the shifting to get notchy and new filters ever change until 20k miles (now every other change) with the most recent change 400 miles ago. The suspension has been rebuilt to stock specs once, in February 2011 by MRP motorsports in Pasadena, MD. The valves were done at 25k-ish miles by Ellicott City Motorsports in Ellicott City, MD, a good local shop, that also greased the suspension and head bearings again as part of the service. Last chain+sprocket replacement was at around 27k miles with an RK x-ring chain and JT steel sprockets (13/42, stock X size), chain guard was replaced then too. Rear tire is a Bridgestone 140/70-17 BT003RS with about 1000 miles on it and a new OE tube, front is a stock Bridgestone BT090 110/70-17 that could use replacement (bike comes with a nearly new BT090 front ready to install and a new spare OE front tube). There might be a small weep starting at the countershaft seal, or it could be chain spooge, haven't determined yet as the bike doesn't drip and doesn't use any oil. Brake pads front and rear were replaced at 25k miles when the X change was done. The X change was a complete R to X swap from a low mileage X (7000 miles at the swap), front and rear wheel and tire, front caliper, line and master cylinder, and black fork guards. At around 20k miles I dropped the tank with the fuel pump installed and snapped the output off, replaced with a takeoff from another 2008. Never had a single issue with a fuel pump ever, and I've got a spare '08 fuel pump just in case that comes with the bike. New coil at 22k miles trying to track down a random misfire that was later found to be caused by the settings on my FMF programmer.

It has failed me exactly once, around 20k miles when the denso iridium plug I had installed cracked and failed and caused the bike not to run. I have since returned to using the stock NGK CR9EK plugs.

Modifications:

Flatlands skid plate
Flatlands radiator guard
emerson.biguns tail rack (best and NLA)
FMF Powercore IV and Powerbomb header
FMF programmer (not installed, ready to go on once I burn through the rest of this tank of gas, going to change the plug at the same time)
IMS 3.1gal tank, natural, with big-honkin' o-ring in place of the stock gasket (no leaks)
hard wired power lead for a Garmin 2720 GPS
hard wired power lead for Warm n' Safe heated gear (coax)
Moose mini handguards with 'white' shields, yellowed with sun exposure
dual star under bar mirrors, right one is cracked but fine
DRC wide pegs (low)
DRC blue coolant hoses (not installed)
Seat concepts seat cover and foam (not installed)
GYTR rear disk guard
Unifilter air filter (HF ultimate airbox mod done as well)
GYTR lower chain guide guard
Zeta timing plug covers

I would not hesitate to ride this bike anywhere[/i] tomorrow. Seriously, gas and go across town, across the state, to Alaska, or around the world. Maybe replace the radiator hoses first if I don't do it before you buy it since they're there to go on and the stockers are starting to bulge a little at the hose clamps.

Asking price: $3000.00 obo. Yes I have the title. Open to trades, mainly looking for a late 90's to early 2000's Ducati Monster or supersport, fuel injected only please, prefer 750's or 800's. Only reason I'm selling is to finally buy the first bike I sat up at night to dream about (see wanted trades).

Will also come with a couple spare oil filters, drain plugs, drain plug washers, o-rings for the oil filter cover, stock winglets where the skid plate sits, spare fuel pump, stock chain guide, stock air filter, and a few other misc bits.

I'll also have gear for sale too as most of it won't fit well on the new bike. Klim Traverse (L) with D3O armor, Aerostich AD1 pants with hip pads and fleece liners (36L). Also have a Tourmaster mesh jacket, size L. My Shoei Hornet DS has a bunch of miles and some scuffs and dings but has never been crashed in on road (not sure about off road but I don't think it has)

I'll also have some luggage that can come with the bike for a price or be sold separately if the new onwer isn't interested: Wolfman enduro tank bag, tail duffel (I think I have two of these, have to double check), and original enduro saddle bags.

I'd be willing to package everything for $3800.
Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time...
'08 WR250R w/ an X change
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Re: FS: Yamaha WR250R turned X, Maryland

Post by bonehead »

Your dual sport antics will be truly missed by many.
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

dude... this is NOT good news :dirtdog:

but I wish you the best
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
skierd
DAMN Expert

Post by skierd »

If I have both I would, but space, time, and finances doesn't really allow for two bikes.

This will just makes every dirt tag a hardcore tag for me. :whoop: I'll just have to be careful going back into Green Ridge now. :lol2:

Almost forgot to add, I bought a YES extended warranty with the bike, so its covered by Yamaha till January 2013, unlimited mileage. :thumbup:
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Post by Ovo »

What does this mean for the Hatfield Trip? You still in as long as it hasnt sold?
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
Bork
DAMN Poohba

Post by Bork »

Man! All those good times you had with her & now your puttin her out!!! :nono: Wheres' your soul!
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

skierd wrote:Image
What are those "hook things" hanging off the back?

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

phoo wrote:
What are those "hook things" hanging off the back?

~Patrick
IIRC, it's a surfboard rack...
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
skierd
DAMN Expert

Post by skierd »

Yup, its a surfboard rack. It was sold a couple months ago though, worked pretty well if you had a shorter board.

As far as Hatfield-McCoy... I'm still going camping lol. I'd have to imagine there are at least a couple of roads the duc would make interesting out thataways.
XRAnimal
DAMN Expert

Post by XRAnimal »

skierd wrote:Yup, its a surfboard rack. It was sold a couple months ago though, worked pretty well if you had a shorter board.

As far as Hatfield-McCoy... I'm still going camping lol. I'd have to imagine there are at least a couple of roads the duc would make interesting out thataways.
Just wanted to say I enjoyed following your rides on ADV, especially the stop on Hatteras and Ocoke. I know those island pretty good.
XRAnimal
2003 XR400R (plated)
2012 Super Tenere