I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Brilliant or Crooked ?

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Ruffcut
DAMN n00b

Brilliant or Crooked ?

Post by Ruffcut »

So I called DCNR today about my wife's Trx200sx which I have the title for, but it was registered in the last owners name. Since MD an PA doesn't talk to each other his title is still valid too since I didn't have the title work done in PA, skipping PA taxes and just paying MD.

First he tells me about the hoops I need to go through to get the ATV registered, but then tells me something I couldn't imagine was legal.......
He said if the ATV had scratched off VIN Numbers that I could take it to the state police barracks in Loganville, PA. The police would send a letter to the DCNR stating their was no VIN. The DCNR would issue their own made up VIN numbers and a title for me! I kid you not, I am not bullshitting you in any way, shape or form.

How in the world can that be legal????
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Brilliant or Crooked ?

Post by Bucho »

Hard to believe they would allow that.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

I would want that in writing before I would proceed with that plan.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

?? Why not have the title transferred to your name? It's a PA title? You're in MD? Seller signs, you sign? Or does MD not do ORV titles? Why are you trying to register it in PA anyway, you like paying our taxes :lol2:

With your plan, you would still need a BOS, right?
Bruce
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

I have a RZR purchased in PA with title signed over and notorized to me but never sent in - so PA probably still shows him as the owner.

I believe you can get a MD registration for a small charge BUT my understanding is that I can't get the PA ORV permit for Michaux etc. without paying the PA sales tax on the price I paid 2nd hand and PA doesn't have any reciprocal agreement on ATVs with MD? Not even sure they give credit for any sales tax paid in MD???
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

I wouldn't go through with any plan that involves altering or removing a VIN, no matter who told me to do it.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

Ruffcut wrote:So I called DCNR today about my wife's Trx200sx which I have the title for, but it was registered in the last owners name. Since MD an PA doesn't talk to each other his title is still valid too since I didn't have the title work done in PA, skipping PA taxes and just paying MD.

First he tells me about the hoops I need to go through to get the ATV registered, but then tells me something I couldn't imagine was legal.......
He said if the ATV had scratched off VIN Numbers that I could take it to the state police barracks in Loganville, PA. The police would send a letter to the DCNR stating their was no VIN. The DCNR would issue their own made up VIN numbers and a title for me! I kid you not, I am not bullshitting you in any way, shape or form.

How in the world can that be legal????
My first thought is that DCNR probably employs at least one moron... :lol2:

I wholeheartedly agree with Patrick's post. No way. While that loophole might actually work, I'd have to bet that there is a law applying to altering a VIN number on a vehicle.
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

I'd be curious to see if you called the state police and relayed what DNCR told you and see if they say, "yep!" or "you're under arrest"
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I think I know where that might come from. Years ago I bought a used pop-up camper (in MD) title and all. PA needed to verify the VIN, but there was no VIN :shrug: I called a local RV dealer, and was told that not all campers had VINs or they were glued on data plates or something. I was "told" by somebody to simply engrave or stamp on a VIN-which I did. A pencil tracing later I had a PA title.

I bought this from my sister-in-law, so it wasn't stolen :deal:

So I guess you can "put" a VIN on a vehicle in certain situations. I wouldn't remove one.
Bruce
Ruffcut
DAMN n00b

Post by Ruffcut »

BillyGoat wrote:I'd be curious to see if you called the state police and relayed what DNCR told you and see if they say, "yep!" or "you're under arrest"
I called the Loganville, PA State Police last night and they said they have a vehicals unit located at that barracks that would do exactly as the DCNR guy said. Now he did point out that VIN on new bikes weren't that easy. But for an ATV thats 20 to 30yrs old that this isn't unheard of.... Call em if you think I'm BS'ing you...