I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

MAT Trials event - July 8 - New Windsor, MD

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Re: MAT Trials event - July 8 - New Windsor, MD

Post by motojunky »

I'm really hoping I can make the class. I'm going to wait until early next week and make a judgement call then. If I can't make it, I'd like to find someone to take my place. I would imagine that Dan has a wait list.

I'm looking forward to the basics stuff. I can read about it online, but I really want to see it demonstrated. If I'm not healed completely, hopefully I'll be good enough at least for that stuff and I can sit out and watch the "big stuff."
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

I contacted Dan to see if any openings were available for one more noob and class is full with 21 signed on.
If you are not in riding shape and don't want to waste your investment, just PM Longboard and I think he will gladly take your place.
Sure hope you are feeling up to it, but if you don't want to push things I just wanted to offer that I have a taker for an open spot.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Longboardr
DAMN Expert

Post by Longboardr »

Been there, busted mine up twice and still very much remember getting woken up in blinding pain, wouldn't wish it on anyone. Hope they heal up toot sweet. Like Boom said I'd take the slot if you can't go.
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

Longboardr wrote:Been there, busted mine up twice and still very much remember getting woken up in blinding pain, wouldn't wish it on anyone. Hope they heal up toot sweet. Like Boom said I'd take the slot if you can't go.
Thanks! Do you mind if I wait til Tuesday or even Wednesday to make a decision? I really want to go but there's no way I could ride right now.
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
Longboardr
DAMN Expert

Post by Longboardr »

motojunky wrote:
Longboardr wrote:Been there, busted mine up twice and still very much remember getting woken up in blinding pain, wouldn't wish it on anyone. Hope they heal up toot sweet. Like Boom said I'd take the slot if you can't go.
Thanks! Do you mind if I wait til Tuesday or even Wednesday to make a decision? I really want to go but there's no way I could ride right now.
No problem at all, I know where you're at on this one.
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

I've been going non stop since last week - finally had a chance to sit down and post a few more details.

The plan was for my 9 y/o daughter to try to ride the 4 line (beginner) at this event. She knew she'd struggle, but wanted to give it a try just to see how hard it would be. My wife and I put the kabosh on the idea due to the heat. We just didn't think it was a good idea for her to push herself hard on such a hot day. She'll try another event later on.

My brother did ride for his first time on his 86 Yamaha TY350. He rode two loops and wisely chose to pack it in. As a newb, you use a whole lot of energy on even the easy stuff and the heat didn't make it any easier. He did well though and more importantly, he had fun.

The sections were neat. Very technical with a lot of emphasis on turns - tight, off camber, immediately before or after an obstacle, with an obstacle mid-turn, on a muddy creek bank, etc. Sometimes all of those variables were combined into one turn.

Looking at the scores, it looks like it was a little bit more difficult than last year. I'm riding a different line than last year, so I can't do a direct comparison. I liked the sections a lot, except maybe for #3. #3 was muddy and one of those sections that seemed to require a helping of luck to get right. The 2 line had to cross the creek and then climb a muddy bank at an angle, crossing a few little muddy & wet logs in the process. It was all loose and greasy and changed after each rider. I finally figured out on the 3rd loop that I needed to hit it with some speed and just go over the top of all that mess and was able to clean it. On the 4th loop I was hurting pretty good and took another couple of points there.

I had 5 points on the first loop. One was a dummy point as I forgot about a split in section 1. Fortunately I saw it in time to get out with a 1 and not a 5. I don't remember where the other points were, but at least one was from section 3.

On the second loop I had 5 points as well. 3 of them were in section 3. One was a dummy in section 4. I was riding straight down the creek on flat ground, focusing on the tricky exit. For no apparent reason I just couldn't resist the urge to put a foot down. No idea what that was about.

I got it figured out and had a clean loop on the 3rd loop.

I was feeling good and thought I might be able to keep the fourth loop to just a couple of points. I took a very short rest break and got right to loop 4, wanting to get done and get cooled off. Section 1 had the biggest log of the day for the 2 line, with a downhill backside for good measure. It wasn't outside of my comfort zone, but it was certainly big enough to warrant respect. At the beginning of this season I'd have been afraid of it, but I've been focusing on downhill stuff to try to get over that fear. I'd done it successfully on the first 3 loops, so I didn't consider it an issue on loop 4. I guess I should have.

I don't know exactly what happened, but when I put the front wheel down on the backside of the log, my left hand came off of the bar. All of my body weight was concentrated on the right bar. Of course, that caused me to steer hard left which stopped forward motion and brought the left bar back. My body was still moving forward and down and my ribs & the bars met with me tumbling off of the bike. In hindsight, I think that I probably squeezed the brake when my left hand popped off too, since the section required brakes as soon as you came over the log. I'm sure that didn't help. There were other contributing factors too: I was hot and tired. My gloves were soaked from sweat and water that I'd been pouring on myself to cool off. I'd been resting my sweaty left arm on the left grip prior to starting the section. My grips need replacing and are worn smooth. That one bugs me 'cause I'd planned to replace them and just didn't have time. Don't put off bike maintenance...

I was stuck under the bike with the wind knocked out of me for a few seconds. I was watching fuel pour out of the tank cap vent hose and figured it was a good time to suck it up and get out from under the bike. When I did, my brother made it over and picked the bike up (section 1 was adjacent to the pits and about 20 yards from my truck). I did a quick assessment and realized that I was hurt. I also realized that I had a short window to finish before I started hurting a lot. I got 5 points from the crash and managed to push through the last seven sections with 5 more points. I doubled my score for the day, but I felt good about those last 5 points given how much I was hurting.

My score of 20 was good for second. The winner had 6 points, so I'd have still finished 2nd even without the crash. 3rd had 25 points. 3rd was a kid who rode vintage last year and just got a modern bike. Watching him ride, I'm thinking it won't be long before he's finishing in front of me. I expected him to beat me for this event. 4th had 29 points and is a guy who is definitely a better rider than me. I'm guessing he had issues with the heat but I haven't had a chance to check. The 1st place rider normally rides on the one line - I'm not sure why he rode the two line this time.

I needed help loading the bike and was hurting pretty darn bad during the post-event BBQ and trophies. I took some ibuprofen and by the time I got home, I thought it might not be too bad. I got a shower and plopped on the couch to catch up on the recorded racing for the weekend. All was well until I went to bed. I tried to lay down and felt like I took a sledgehammer to the ribs. I started shaking (cold) and sweating and was that way all night.

To keep things interesting, I had to get up early Monday to head to Orlando for a week of work. Unfortunately, it was a project that couldn't wait and involved a fair amount of physical work - nothing too heavy but a lot of moving around. I did the same shaking/sweating thing for the next two nights and finally got a couple of hours of sleep on Wednesday night. Thursday I felt even worse than Tuesday or Wednesday but was able to get another few hours of sleep that night. Finally on Friday there was improvement. Not a lot, but definite improvement. I'm optimistic that I'll see a major improvement now that it has been a week, but who knows. I never did get a chance to see a doc, so I don't know the extent of the damage. Bruise, fracture... who knows. From what I understand, there wouldn't be treatment in either case since nothing is out of place so I don't know if I'll bother with a doc at this point. My right hip is black and purple too, but I've hardly even noticed it due to the ribs. :dry:

I got back home last night and really don't see how I'll be able to ride next week. We'll see. I never doubted people that rib injuries hurt, but I have a whole new respect for anyone who's gone through this.

If I can't make the RYP school this weekend, my next event is 8/12. That seems doable.

I didn't intent to ramble so much... :shrug:
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
Taylor
DAMN Expert

Post by Taylor »

Not much a Doc. can do for broken ribs but still I would go just to get checked out and pain meds. to help sleep. Hope you heal fast.
2012 Husky WR 125
2009 Husky TE 310
2001 Harley FLHR
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

First of all :thumbup: on competing and continuing with an injury.

Second- I've done my ribs a few times (now I wear a pressure suit, always). They seem to take forever to heal-6-8 weeks. And bang them again within a few months and you'll remember.

Simple bruise or small fx there is nothing but pain meds and/or muscle relaxer to help, recommended for a good sleep. Ice always helps. The very real problem that could come into play is pneumonia. It can happen by not breathing deep and heavy, hard to do with banged up ribs.

As always it's recommend to see a Doc, even one of those express care places- in, xray and out with script.

Take care MJ.
Bruce
badguy
DAMN Expert

Post by badguy »

2nd is a hell of a finish, even better with a busted ribcage :bow: I hope you feel better fast!
Boom Boom wrote: Badguy..look forward to putting a face to the name.
The class will be good..might seem boring at first but the basics is what most guys never master.
Dan is a wonderful host and Ryan is tops as a teacher, I am sooo looking forward to the class :rayof:
Don't get your hopes up, the name is a lot more exciting than the face :lol2:
I'll be happy if I can get a bit of a grasp on the basics. I haven't been getting as much time on two wheels as I'd like this year. Either way, it'll be good to meet you as well.
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

badguy wrote:2nd is a hell of a finish, even better with a busted ribcage :bow: I hope you feel better fast!
Boom Boom wrote: Badguy..look forward to putting a face to the name.
The class will be good..might seem boring at first but the basics is what most guys never master.
Dan is a wonderful host and Ryan is tops as a teacher, I am sooo looking forward to the class :rayof:
Don't get your hopes up, the name is a lot more exciting than the face :lol2:
I'll be happy if I can get a bit of a grasp on the basics. I haven't been getting as much time on two wheels as I'd like this year. Either way, it'll be good to meet you as well.
Look for the dark green Excursion with large enclosed triton trailer, should be packed full of trials bikes.
I will be the short, fat and bald one of the bunch.
I added bald, if not you might mistake me for Firebolter :amazon:
Almost a mini DAMN gathering, of the 20 signed up I think at least 5 are DAMN clan members.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr