I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

SHADE

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: SHADE

Post by Bucho »

phoo wrote: It's a good time, but it is 100% choose your own adventure. ~Patrick

Thats a great quote! I havn't been there since last fall and I have to go back.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Denny
DAMN Expert

Re: SHADE Issue Is A Rumor But Work Day This Weekend

Post by Denny »

Shade Mtn Work Day: Saturday July 21, 2012

We have secured a BobCat Mini Hoe for Saturday to do some heavy duty work on the Snowmobile Tr. on the hill just west of the Shade Mtn Crossing. So one crew will be with the machine.

Another crew will be doing hand work projects like filling in the CMU cores with sand at Bridge #1, draining the mud hole at Bridge #2, and putting in single small diversions. Most of these are located on the Snowmobile Trail in the first mile out of the parking lot. So lets Plan on Meeting in the Rt 235 Parking Lot at 8:30am. Steve will bring all the materials and tools needed. If you have a good backpack like the US Army Alice medium or large packs, they are ideal to haul tools back into the work sites. There will as always be Steve's famous Chili and water at the noon break.

Hope to see as many there as possible. Bring your bikes, work in the morning ride in the afternoon. Rumors have been circulating that Shade will be closed for the fall hunting season. We are still working with DCNR to clarify their intent.....but no official word has come down yet and no signs have been posted on the trail. Our goal is to keep it open on Sundays up until at least mid-Nov.

Steve Bottiger
Shade Mtn Trail Boss
DCNR Volunteer
jbottiger@hotmail.com
570-523-2078
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Hope you get a good turn out for a work crew.
Bad timing for me, trials school scheduled this w/e.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
windyhill
DAMN Expert

Post by windyhill »

I'll be there. Hopefully a bit cooler this weekend.
Denny
DAMN Expert

Post by Denny »

Call Steve to confirm the work day @ jbottiger@hotmail.com 570-523-2078. He may change the date because of short notice.
b3h
DAMN Wanabe

Post by b3h »

Don't mean to start a shit storm either but you do have to follow the money. If hunter's dollars paid for that land with Pittman Robinson (PR) funds then the state and federal gov's have an obligation to keep it open for them as a user group. If other user groups come in conflict then they will be "rationed" to decrease conflict of the "measured" land use. Can't blame the hunting community as our fathers and grandfathers have been paying into the program for a long time with real results. Some of us old buzzards have been paying our fair share too. As more and more user groups seek access to "public" land the more the DNR will "measure" land use on that property. What we need to do as a "OHV" community is make sure the dollars we pay in taxes and fees get used like they are supposed to instead of getting raided by the legiscritters and dumped into a general fund for whatever bills they are behind in. :beathorse:
windyhill
DAMN Expert

Post by windyhill »

Denny wrote:Call Steve to confirm the work day @ jbottiger@hotmail.com 570-523-2078. He may change the date because of short notice.

Looks like it's still on so far. If anyone is interested in truck-pooling up, I have room for another bike.
windyhill
DAMN Expert

Post by windyhill »

Yep, turnout was a bit light, but a great day to be in the woods.

Nicely groomed trail courtesy of the backhoe crew.

Some filling in of the blocks.

And there was at least one bike there!

BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

Windyhill...what time did you leave? How long did you work? Did you ride? it's remarkable that you drove 6 hours or so yet you were posting by 6pm. How do you do that?
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
windyhill
DAMN Expert

Post by windyhill »

BillyGoat wrote:Windyhill...what time did you leave? How long did you work? Did you ride? it's remarkable that you drove 6 hours or so yet you were posting by 6pm. How do you do that?
Actually I'm about 2 hours from Shade. "Worked" from 9-11:30, then rode for a couple hours after lunch. I didn't really stray too far from the parking lot as I was riding alone. I'm going to Florida, for a couple of weeks, so I think I'll try to get another ride this weekend (Sat or Sun). It's a bit of a hike up there, but it's nice to go for a trail ride and not have to look over your shoulder.