I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

The Cove/MotoCove

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
stretchride
DAMN Expert

The Cove/MotoCove

Post by stretchride »

So I woke up early yesterday and decided to go check out The Cove. A few thoughts:

1. Holy rock! What the rock?! Rock these motherrocking rocks!
2. Beautiful day, pretty drive out, about 1.5hrs for me.
3. Probably not a good idea to ride there alone. Shoutout to Jim and Rich, who I met immediately and who let me tag along all day. I'm not sure if I would have attempted a lot of it if not for seeing those guys blast through and prove it possible.
4. I can't believe the abuse these bikes can take (and dish out!). If nothing else I expected a flat tire within 10 feet on some of those trails.
4a. Bike really wouldn't idle right all day, made it really difficult in the slow parts/steep downhills, would also pop/spit a lot on decel.
5. Never really knew where I was all day, not the best markings and concentrating too hard on the 10 feet in front of me..
6. Didn't expect to come back with a shopping list: fork savers, Camelbak, and a freakin' radiator (see thought 7)
7. I did great all day, kept up, never wiped out till near the end when I wiped low side and dumped the bike on, yes, the pointiest rock on the trail. I rolled away then looked over to see the bike engulfed in a huge cloud of coolant steam, rock me! Punched in and punctured the left side radiator (which seems to be $100 less than the right side, yay). Let it cool down then limped it back to the parking lot (I was beat anyway). Rich may have video, we'll see...
8. All in all though, most of it was pure joy! I think I earned my rock badge.

Ok maybe pictures if I figure it out later...
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: The Cove/MotoCove

Post by Bucho »

First of all, I think anyone who goes dirtbike riding w/out a camelback (or equivilent), is crazy. I wear mine even if I'm just doing short loops and will be back to the truck/van every twenty minutes. I was never impressed with camelback till I wore one while riding dirtbikes. Being able to drink w/out removing your helmet is awesome. Even drink w/out stopping.

Glad you still had fun riding the rocks at the Cove. Yes, it is rocky. But honestly riding rocks is all relative. The more you do it the easier it becomes. If you are a relative rock noobie, then you did very well surviving the Cove. I'd be happy to go back w/ you another day. If you ever have weekdays off, I'd definently go w/.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Damage Inc.
DAMN Expert

Post by Damage Inc. »

May I take you up on your offer for a tour around the cove..how long are you on weekend duty?
'00 KTM 300EXC Brakes just slow you down
'06 VTX1300r
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Damage Inc. wrote:May I take you up on your offer for a tour around the cove..how long are you on weekend duty?
8 weeks. If you can get out on a wed, thurs, friday let me know.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

IF you don't mind and OFG (OLD Fat Guy) tagging along, let me know if you go.
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

Yes. Post up if you're going, give me at least a day in advance if you can.
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
trialsrider
DAMN Expert

Post by trialsrider »

BillyGoat wrote:Yes. Post up if you're going, give me at least a day in advance if you can.

Same
2019 Husqvarna TE250i
2014 KTM 350 XCF-W Six Days
2012 GASGAS 280 TXT Racing
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Didnt know we would have.this much interest. How would next Wed be? Sept 29th I think.

Sam you know you are always welcome. Thats a great place to play with the frankenbeta. Sean (I know Im spelling that wrong sorry), havnt seen you in a while, it would be great to ride with you.
BillyGoat it would be nice to meet you come on out.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Post by Ovo »

Fixed - Not September - August...
Bucho wrote:Didnt know we would have.this much interest. How would next Wed be? Aug. 29th I think.

Sam you know you are always welcome. Thats a great place to play with the frankenbeta. Sean (I know Im spelling that wrong sorry), havnt seen you in a while, it would be great to ride with you.
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
trialsrider
DAMN Expert

Post by trialsrider »

Bucho wrote:Didnt know we would have.this much interest. How would next Wed be? Sept 29th I think.

Phil, you got the spelling Of my name correct. Wednesday next week is difficult for me. Friday would be the best followed by Thursday as an alternative.
2019 Husqvarna TE250i
2014 KTM 350 XCF-W Six Days
2012 GASGAS 280 TXT Racing