I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

S500 Oct 5-6

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: S500 Oct 5-6

Post by Bucho »

Saturday morning started early and since the day's route was pretty much a pavement ride, pretty much the whole DAMN group went off led by Gearedup. Gary did a nice job laying down a decent pace.
Having the slow pokey sidecar, I took the rear guard position in the group. When the nice pavement got twisty and awesome the sidecar definently slowed and was a little off the pace. I'll be the first to admit that some of this might have been my less then perfect job as hack pilot.
However, I was happy to find out that once on the dirt I had no problem keeping pace. Or at least keeping pace with the slow end of the group. Due to the dust I kept stopping a few times just to be sure I had plenty of space and a little less dust.
Caleb seemed to like the smooth fast dirt roads with the occasional water bars. He would laugh as we would get a little lift off of the suspension. He kept cheering me on to go faster till we actually started jumping them. This was fun at first till he started getting banged around a little too much in the chair. (Remember he is seat belted in and can't stand up).

Gary gave a good pace and great mix of dirt roads till we were all very ready for lunch. On our last dirt road the hack must have been running a good pace b/c Paul waved us ahead so we were no longer bringing up the rear. It was a fun fast road. I only had one terrifying experience. I came in too fast for a left hander that turned out to be a bit tighter then it originally looked. As I was sliding sideways with locked brakes approaching the drop off, I also noticed multiply dirt bike tracks also sliding up to the edge. Maybe Caleb and I would go over the edge and land on top of someone else...
I got off the brakes and put some power down and was able to ride out the slide and make the corner.
When we finally got to the end of the road, the rest of the group was waiting and as soon as they saw me coming down the hill they all took off. They hadn't realized Paul was still behind me. (The group was probably a little too big.)
Caleb and I waited for a while at the bottom for Paul. Caleb kept asking where Paul was and why were we waiting for him. I explained that we don't leave anybody behind. If we leave, then Paul wont know which way we turned. I also mention that he might of crashed and be hurt. Caleb instantly reminded me that we had a first aid kit (amongst the ton of other crap) packed behind the seat, and we should go back and help him.
So we turned around and started heading back looking for Paul. It turned he had wrecked out, but was up on his bike riding by the time we came across him. He was banged up but still able to ride. We all went to lunch together for a well needed break.

After lunch Caleb and I decided to go off on our own. Armed only with the vague map given to us by the event we only took a wrong turn once. But recognizing that we were close to Reddish Knob, I decided we might as well go to the top. Up there we were able to speak with the S500 guys working the communications relay station, (they set us straight w/ direction.)
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Shortly after this the day must have been wearing on Caleb b/c he fell asleep in the hack. He was completely out on our last dirt section. I kept thinking he was going to brake his neck or something with his head bouncing around.

Note he is still asleep
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

We made it back to camp around 3:30ish. Caleb woke up shortly. We spend the rest of the afternoon playing at the playground, taking a hike around the area, and playing video games on my phone.

Checking Natural Chimneys and the little caves underneath.

Playing StarWars AngryBirds

Out for a little hike in the area.

It should be noted that my kid is super picky. He was not impressed with the Saturday night's dinner. He had spaghetti-O's back at our campsite.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Sunday morning we went off by ourselves to hit some of the dirt roads that we missed the day before. We also took some time to play.

Like at this river along Route 33

Caleb took this one. I was glad he didn't drop the camera into the water.

We got onto a dirt road and we were trying to follow our map and we went down what we thought was the correct route. The further we went the more and more it looked like nobody had gone that way in a long time. Was starting to get pretty overgrown.

The entire trail was also pretty much going down hill. Parts were also kinda nasty, rocks, and some very off camber ruts. I kept going thinking that it was very possible this road would pop out somewhere. I also really REALLY hoped it would. Because I wasn't sure if I could get back up some of the downhills.
Finally after getting down to the bottom we found this.

Though one benefit of all this over grown brush was a little green inch worm that fell into the hack. Caleb named him "Tiny" and the little guy was Caleb's best buddy for the next several hours.

A few spots were tricky but the trusty Suzuki came through and tractored us all the way back up to the top of the trail so we were able to get back on track.
The rest of day went well for us. Had a lot of fun and finally made it back to the van.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

A few more pics from the day.

The passenger isn't called a "monkey" for nothing.

This selfie pic turned out better then I thought it would.

Some random rider took this pic for us. He was riding a DR650 so we figured we could trust him.

Caleb liked taking pictures.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I think this is the same creek that several years ago was deep enough to bring Ken's Wasp hack to a stand still. Pretty dry this year.

Some little spot where we stopped for a pee break or something.

Don't tell momma I let him play up there.

Anyways, this years S500 was a lot of fun. One thing that was nice about the "Official" route getting all jacked up was that it helped to spread all the riders out over the entire place. In past years if feels like you are constantly passing or getting passed by other riders. Was nice to feel like you were out there a little more by yourself.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

very cool Bucho! Another year or two we'll have to make a hack where Caleb can step out and be an active passenger.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Post by Ovo »

Awesome pictures Bucho...Those are memories that will last forever...
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Excellent report, Bucho! Great photos, and it looks like you guys really had a fantastic time.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Bucho thanks for the report, awesome that your doing this with Caleb! In a couple years we'll be chasing him around on his own bike...... :roost: