I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

New adv bike opinions please!

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
B00ST00
DAMN Expert

New adv bike opinions please!

Post by B00ST00 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:07 pm

Well I'm in the market for my first adventure bike. I've always had sport bikes and I'm ready for something I can log a ton of highway miles in comfort with the ability to hit gravel roads and single track as well.

Now on to what I've been considering. I'm really into the KTM 1190 from everything ive read anyway. Price estimates seem to be 16,8ish.

Next is the 1200gs, used of course, maybe 11-13 as I've seen prices around 15-17 with add ons.

I'm open to any input as I'm totally ignorant to this style of motorcycle other than what ive read on line. Please keep in mind that I intend to do long road trips on whichever I purchase. The ability to do 500+ mile days is very important.

Thanks for any input I appreciate it!

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: New adv bike opinions please!

Post by Rut Row » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:27 pm

I had a 950 Adventure. Not a comfortable ride over long distances and heavy. I'll eventually replace it but will likely get a V-strom 650. The big adventure bikes really don't offer a lot other than lower gas mileage.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:37 pm

500+ mile days, dirt/gravel roads, AND single track. Wow, you don't ask for much huh?

I'm sure you realize no bike will do all that well.
My only personal experience w/ that caliber of bike is the big BMW boxer GS. Back before I was married and had a mortage, I had a R1150GS for about 40K miles.
Later after I got married and sold the bike, the wife and I rented a R1200GS for a four day trip of southern AZ. Was a great trip, obviously did lots of pavement but everyday included at least an hour or more of "off pavement" riding. A few dirt road passes through some mountains and stuff.

Anyway, w/ an emphasis on highway comfort I think BMW's big GS is a great bike. I would advise the 1200 over the 1150. When they designed the 1200, they had put a huge emphasis on making it lighter weight and it shows.
The big boxer is a great sport touring bike and a pretty decent dirtroad/bad road bike. I did all that w/ my wife and all our crap on the bike. I have never personally taken it on single track but I have seen it done. I remember a girl (sponsered rider), taking a 1200adv on the hammer run and doing all (or at least some) of the options.
If you don't have a large need for taking a passenger BMW's F800GS looks like a really cool bike. But I've never ridden one or really researched it much. (maybe in 10+ years when my kid is older and my wife and I can do trips again)

I've only ridden Ken's KTM950 for a short ride but I thought it was pretty nice.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200

phoo
Benevolent Dictator

Post by phoo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:24 am

They had the 1200 and the 800 gs at the Shenandoah vendor area. It was then that I realized I don't know why they make the 800. It is only 20 pounds lighter, not much cheaper, and way down on power.

My completely biased yet uninformed opinion points toward the triumph 800 tiger cub.

The wee Strom is a very capable bike, but I found it uninspiring.

Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200

Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:51 am

Every bike discussed so far will work EXCEPT for the "Single Track" thing. If you REALLY mean single track, then you're asking a lot. The big divider is:
doing a lot of road miles AND being basically dirt worthy.

Having had a 950 SE, it would be the closest thing to possibly meet all your criteria IMO, but it was 400 lbs and that still is HEAVY in the single track. I ended up motarding mine as I could still hit the fire roads and such but had good grip and manners on the road where I rode it the most. Now my SM610 fits that role. Will do 70-75 down the highway and can go (300lbs) where most dirt bikes can, but I stay away form the mud and single track since I am running Distanza tires. 200-300 mile days are pretty easy on that bike since I got the seat done.

That will be another limiting factor, tire choices. You might want to consider wheels/rim sizes on the various bikes and the types of tires you would like to run to make sure there is even options.

What about luggage or carrying gear? That can influence decisions on what bike. I mean you can add bags to anything, but how well can it carry them? And you and all of your potential gear?

Not knocking your idea, been there and had the same desire, buy what works best for the road and can do jeep roads and such and if there is some friendly single track and it's dry, then maybe some light trails. Bike Weights are gonna split from the 650 area of singles, 300-350 lbs to the bigger boys where you'll be at 500+ depending on bike. Make sure you can pick up whatever you get if it's on it's side! Else you'll always need a riding partner.

I think you'll find you end up doing more dirt roads than true single track, like S500 kinda stuff except for the hero options, then the GS would be a good choice as would the SV650 or the Triumph. They all basically are good on the road and can be comfortable and get you across most of the dirt roads that are legal. SV has a crazy aftermarket and it's a Suzuki, so the motors are pretty stone reliable.
Lots of cool bikes---

Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:05 am

I am from the opinion of why purchase one overpriced bike that can't do any one thing well when you could own a touring bike for all your road work and a plated dirt bike for anything involving dirt and mud.
Neither would have to be new and still tons of options on the market.
Spend less money and have (2) bikes.... :shrug:
That said I have always had a hankering to own a BMW 1200 GSA just for the thought of some day doing some very long adventure ride.
In reality I am married and work to get a weekend pass so there goes the GSA pipe dream.
Have fun with your search....
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr

BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:50 am

I have personally seen the 1200GS ride at teh Seven Mountains in PA. I've never been so impressed by a bike. Big heavy luxurious but nimble enough to get the job done on trails. But personally i would lean to the Triumph 800, but that's just me. the Vstrom 1000 ABS Adventure (now with traction control) looks interesting too.
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T

B00ST00
DAMN Expert

Post by B00ST00 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Thanks for all of your input I really appreciate it. As far as single track goes I was leaning more towards fire/service roads than something you would tackle at hatfields or mtn ridge (true single track). I still have my tagged WR450 for the serious off road stuff!

The more I read about adventure bikes the more im interested. I have always had a need for power which is the reason im leaning towards the 1200. The KTM would be interesting with 150hp but it doesnt have cruise control and thats a real turn off as I have had a throttle lock previously on my hayabusa and it just did not cut it for longer trips.

Luggage and two up comfort is also a requirement as I plan to take trips on whatever I end up with.

For someone who does their own maint and repairs how are the 1200GS in that department? I have seen used machines with 4k up to 100k+ miles, is there anything I should be overly concerned with while looking?

Thanks again

phoo
Benevolent Dictator

Post by phoo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:41 pm

There is a lot you can't do yourself on the 1200GS due to needing special tools.

But then this exact topic came up on another mailing list recently, and the counterpoint was that it is exactly like when you first started riding and working on metric bikes and had to go out and buy new metric tools because all you had were standard tools.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200

stretchride
DAMN Expert

Post by stretchride » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:51 pm

Hey BOOST did you take a look at the Super Tenere? Something about them always makes me look twice, haven't gotten an opportunity to ride on yet, just coveting from afar. Adventure Bike of the Year for 2012 I think on CycleWorld or one of the mags... Agree with you on the 1190 :thumbup: FYI I was at JT's yesterday and they have a 2013 990 Adventure Baja on the showroom floor...

Unrelated but interesting fluff piece on Special Forces bikes:

http://www.bikebandit.com/community/art ... il_110613_

Out of curiosity I surfed over to the Zero site to see what that thing could really do. Careful, I burned up an hour watching the customer videos :think: These things are getting closer and closer to being something to think about, pretty cool tech-wise... Anybody seen one? There's a dualsport model and a dealer in Annapolis it looks like...

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/