I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

DAMN Maintenance day!

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

DAMN Maintenance day!

Post by Firebolter »

I was talking to one of my buds from Kauai and we were reminiscing about the "good old days" when we used to ride right out of our house, down the street, hit the dirt and ride trails all day, all over Kauai. He reminded me of the "Maint" days we used to hold. We would pick a day, pick a persons house and turn it into a "potluck" kinda deal and we would bring our bikes and work on them together. Great time to teach those who may not know how to do some maintenance or have all kinds of specialty tools each of us may have so guys could share etc. Help guys do valve checks, change tires, oil changes, stuff like that.

It used to be alot of fun. Wrench on bikes, bench race, eat good food and have a few beers with friends! Anyway, I was thinking when spring gets here, maybe we should think about a DAMN Maintenance day? :lurker:
Lots of cool bikes---
Taylor
DAMN Expert

Re: DAMN Maintenance day!

Post by Taylor »

:thumbup: I have the most important tool of all for this a Kegerator!
2012 Husky WR 125
2009 Husky TE 310
2001 Harley FLHR
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Whoa! You used to ride dirtbikes in Hawaii? Thats fracking awesome!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Bucho wrote:Whoa! You used to ride dirtbikes in Hawaii? Thats fracking awesome!

Dude, up to 2003 when I moved back here, I could ride out of my house and ride 60-80 miles of trails with only crossing paved roads twice and go all the way from Poipu (south shore) to Princeville on the North Shore. Hardcore single track for 80% of it. We used to take turns riding up there after work on Fridays and pre-positioning gas in the woods right off the cane roads so we never had to drop down into town. Those days are now gone. Once Sugar starting dieing off, the land owners started leasing the land and fences went up cutting off access. There is still plenty of riding there, but not like it used to be. If you can ride Kauai, you can ride anywhere. Some of the hardest, snottiest, knarliest trails to date I have ever ridden. Same on the Big Island. We used to go there for the Mauna Kea 200, a 200 mile, 2 day enduro that started at sea level in Hilo and went up to 12,000 feet at the top of Mauna Kea at ~13,000 feet, so you guys think you have jetting issues! Bikes were impounded at the top of the mountain. You got 1 hour to work on the bike, then go back down the mountain to hotels and back up the next morning for the last 100 miles from the top of the mountain back down to Hilo. Best Enduro I have ever ridden. I actually got a 3rd place B OPEN one year. Only trophy I saved in all these years as you really feel like you earned a trophy in that race just for finishing! MEGA Dusty and crusty! I used to carry an extra air filter and change it at lunch, it's that bad, unless it rains, then it is even more miserable.

http://mk200.com/

Hawaii was a dirt riders paradise when I lived there 85-03.

here's avideo of the 2011 event

Bunch more on youtube

I guess it's okay to Hi-Jack your own thread right? :kboom:
Lots of cool bikes---
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Firebolter wrote:I was talking to one of my buds from Kauai and we were reminiscing about the "good old days" when we used to ride right out of our house, down the street, hit the dirt and ride trails all day, all over Kauai. He reminded me of the "Maint" days we used to hold. We would pick a day, pick a persons house and turn it into a "potluck" kinda deal and we would bring our bikes and work on them together. Great time to teach those who may not know how to do some maintenance or have all kinds of specialty tools each of us may have so guys could share etc. Help guys do valve checks, change tires, oil changes, stuff like that.

It used to be alot of fun. Wrench on bikes, bench race, eat good food and have a few beers with friends! Anyway, I was thinking when spring gets here, maybe we should think about a DAMN Maintenance day? :lurker:
Done just that this past Saturday. Helped out a mother and son do a much needed tune up of a couple little 4-strokes. Also had a buddy with a "new to him" Gas Gas 200 go up on the bike lift for a top to bottom once over before he took it to the woods to give it a work out.
Anyone that needs some shop space (heated shop that is) to give your scoot some winter love and willing to drive to Carlisle you are welcome to use my place.
Small woods area behind the house for some test runs or go to the farm for a proper work out.
Spring is time to be in the woods riding and not in the shop wrenching.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Boom Boom wrote:
Firebolter wrote: Spring is time to be in the woods riding and not in the shop wrenching.
Spoken like a guy with a NICE HEATED garage/work shop! :rayof:
Lots of cool bikes---
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Firebolter wrote:
Boom Boom wrote:
Firebolter wrote: Spring is time to be in the woods riding and not in the shop wrenching.
Spoken like a guy with a NICE HEATED garage/work shop! :rayof:
I think your dinning room trumps my dirty old shop. :bow:
Test engine runs in your place might set off the fire alarms :nono:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Boom Boom wrote:
I think your dinning room trumps my dirty old shop. :bow:
Ah, that is my Formal Motorcycle display room! :lol2:

Lots of cool bikes---
Longboardr
DAMN Expert

Post by Longboardr »

Where's the Like button?

Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Good idea, but Jan/Feb is the time for maintenance :deal:

Speaking of which....I'm lazy/busy all at the same time...I've got two Jeeps I'm wrenching on and another dang college class I'm taking.

I'm pretty sure I need wheel bearings replaced in my KTM...I guess I should change the plug and as for the valves :shrug:
My KLX probably needs something I'm sure, oh yeah- new front tire sitting out there next to it and....?
The XR is in a state of hiatus and the Beta just kicks over and runs when I need it. Although the forks leak and I have a set of seals.

Maybe next month.

BTW- BB does have a nice shop.
Bruce