I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Motorcrosss to Dual-Sport conversion questions.

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
DINGO

Motorcrosss to Dual-Sport conversion questions.

Post by DINGO »

I will welcome any help or hints with this. I have a CRF450X and am going to turn in into a dual-sport. I plan on getting the Baja Designs kit. But I have a couple questions before I do.

1. What is the first step in Maryland. Do I head out the MVA and bring the title that was mailed to me when I purchased the bike? Is there anything else I need to show the MVA? (already have my "M" designation on my drivers license)
2. What do I ask for at the MVA?
3. Is there any where that you suggest getting the bike inspected that is dual-sport conversion friendly?
4. Is there a list anywhere on what will be required for a MD inspection? I've heard about adding DOT reflectors, a chain guard, mirrors, along with the Baja Designs kit. Do I need a speedometer?
5. Does MD require an emissions test?

Thanks for any help or input with any of these questions. I just want to get this project going so that I can hit more than just the trails with all of you.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Motorcrosss to Dual-Sport conversion questions.

Post by mdubya »

I believe if you have a title and a State inspection, you are good to go.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

As long as your title doesn't say anything like "for off highway use only" or something like that you are all set. Then just go the MVA w/ your title, state inspection, and proof of insurance and you are all set. Don't say anything to the MVA employees about it being a dirtbike or that you aren't sure if the title is okay or anything like that.

If your title does say "for off highway use only", then it is still possible, you just have to jump through a few more hoops. You still need the state inspection, and proof of insurance, but you have to go the main MVA in Glenn Burnie, and a State Trooper or MVA employee has to walk out into the parkinglot and physically inspect the bike (in the bed of truck/trailer), and then you are all set. I've talked with a guys who have gone that route, they say it is a huge pain in the butt, b/c most MVA employees will not understand what you are doing and tell you that you can't plate a dirtbike. You will have to be very patient and politely persistant and find the one guy there who can do the inspection and knows what you are talking about.

I did this last spring, I had an out of state title w/ "for off highway use only" printed in big letters across it. I had my state inspection and proof of insurance. I trucked all the way to Glenn Burnie prepaired for a huge ordeal. I went through the lines and handed my paperwork to the employee at the window and just told them I had bought a used bike out of state and wanted to register it in MD. I said nothing about it being a dirtbike, and volunteered no information unless they asked. The lady didnt' notice the "for off highway use only", and handed me a new tag w/out any questions.
So, you could try your local MVA and you might get lucky.

As far as state inspections, you might try taking your bike down and just asking them, hey what will I need for my bike? You might also tell them something like "Hey, I just want to have bike plated so I can do a couple of dualsport events, but I don't really have intention of riding it on the street at all..." They might over look some things.

On my bike, they ignored the lack of DOT tires, and took my word that I would put mirrors on it as soon as I could.

Goodluck, out here in the East where we have so little open riding land left, having a plate is a good idea.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
DINGO

Post by DINGO »

Thanks to everyone so far. I'm going to go ahead and order the Dual-SPort kit and get started. I'll keep this updated so that we can use it for anyone behind me that is trying to do the same thing.
FOX8505

Post by FOX8505 »

if your lazy like me, you sell it and buy a legal dualsport.
Good luck! and give MVA hell.
gtop

Post by gtop »

Bucho wrote:you have to go the main MVA in Glenn Burnie
Better pack a lunch and dinner
DINGO

Post by DINGO »

Great News! I looked the MD title over front and back and don't see anything printed on it saying "for off-road use only" or any other version of that. That definitely mde my day. Now all I hve to do is wait the next few weeks for the parts to come in. Also need to re-build the forks while I'm waiting (blew one seal out while I was at Green Ridge 2 weekends ago). Guess it's an excuse to guzzle down a few beers while tinkering on the bike.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

that is as good an excuse as any other! Just be sure to get the seals on right-side-up before the 6th beer... :cheers:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
DINGO

Post by DINGO »

Just a small update. I have been looking at a company called DST "Dual Sport Technologies" for the conversion kit.

I don't like the clunky looking fender that Baja Designs gives, so am still trying to slim this down as far as I can.
Last edited by DINGO on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Dingo, I want you to pick up your cell phone and call your home phone. Read your last post into your answering machine, then go listen to it. Does it sounds silly when you hear it out loud? :deal:

What I'm hearing you say is that you're not going to learn from the mistakes of others and forge ahead with sending money to people that are known to be crooks.

You can very easily alter or replace the fender that comes with the BD kit.