I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Wasp progress report

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Wasp progress report

Post by Bucho »

I'm there. Been dying to monkey around w/ it.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

The Wasp has been reassembled. I didn't try to start it yet - waiting on my faithful assistant - it starts easier with a push :whip:

Bucho and I will shake it down Sunday. I'm praying hard nothing else breaks! :angel:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Well.........
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Give us to the end of the weekend and hopefully we'll have it all dualsported out and ready for NJ.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Well, the DS conversion is almost complete. The stator was the nerve racking part but I got it apart and replaced okay. I'll bet that cover hadn't been off once in the 25 year life of that mill. Ended up replacing several bolts and I'm thankful that pep Boys now stocks a good selection of metric bolts and screws.

I almost have the lights installed. Had to make a bracket for the rear turn signals so I could get them out of the way when Bucho transitions for a lefty. I also had to get creative on where to mount the mechanical brake switch - but with some 1/16" wire rope, I got it tucked up under the left side cover.

I have to call Baja designs about their stator instructions. It says run the wires from the new stator to the headlight harness but never says a thing about getting power back to the CDI - DUH! I'm thinking it should be wired in parallel but a quick phone call should clear that up.

Once the dual sport kit is tested, then I'll wire up the Acewell Speedometer/computer.

Last item is mount a set of MT-16s and off to DMV I go! :loveit:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

some days I just want to go shoot myself. :wallbash:

When I did the pre-sales call with Baja Designs on the dual-sport kit, I was told that I needed an upgraded stator from Service Honda and if they were out, get it from Electrosport. Service Honda was out so I ordered a replacement from Electrosport.

What he forgot to tell me was I needed a stator with a lighting coil - not the normal stator. :foul:

and Electrosport doesn't make one anymore. :wallbash: :wallbash:

So... here I am with a dual-sport kit almost completely installed and no way to power the lights :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

my only recourse is to get an '87 or later motor :foul: :censored: :wallbash:

anyone want a slightly used dual-sport kit (red) and a new Acewell speedometer? :eyes:
Ken
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

E-line had something for 2 smokes and i think Ricky Stator had something too

hmmmm i'd figured service honda had it all worked out for the CR500 dual sport they got

service honda is the best parts spot for the common man, discounts and professionism well beyond our local mutts

you could always just run a battery and charge it before every ride, i doubt the gas tank would last any longer
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Thats not a bad idea. Probably last a bit longer if you keep head light turned off too. Its not like it would see a whole lot of night riding.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Hare wrote:E-line had something for 2 smokes and i think Ricky Stator had something too

hmmmm i'd figured service honda had it all worked out for the CR500 dual sport they got

service honda is the best parts spot for the common man, discounts and professionism well beyond our local mutts

you could always just run a battery and charge it before every ride, i doubt the gas tank would last any longer
Service Honda got their stuff from ElectroSport. ElectroSport had some problems with the stators and sent them back - its been nearly a year and no replacement has been devised - this is for the 85/86 motors. I called Service Honda to see what my options were.

the battery idea has merit... hmmm...
Ken
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Bucho wrote:Thats not a bad idea. Probably last a bit longer if you keep head light turned off too. Its not like it would see a whole lot of night riding.
The more I think about it, the better I like the battery idea. I'll see Curtis tonight and ask him about mounting a battery tray in the hack.
Ken