I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Radiator temp & pressure questions.

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
DINGO

Radiator temp & pressure questions.

Post by DINGO »

I bought a Trail Tech Vapor, and can set warning lights for both "Warning Temp" and "Dangerous Temp". I am trying to figure what temp to enter for these lights to come on. The bike is an 05' CRF450X.......Golden Rule: If you aren't moving at all times it will overheat pretty quick. Anyone have an idea what the temp ranges are for these bikes, and are they pretty much the same for all water-cooled 450's? Also, any insight on the pressure ratings for the radiator caps? If I change out for a different rating, how does that affect the bike, both positive and negatively? Any suggestions on a different set-up (saw one with a meter on it) or cap manufacturer?
Space Ghost
DAMN Expert

Re: Radiator temp & pressure questions.

Post by Space Ghost »

You may want to pose this question on CRFS ONLY, Agent Smith is the 450x Guru. :thumbup:
04 ktm250exc 05ktm525exc 2010Husaberg 570FE
DINGO

Post by DINGO »

Good idea. Thanks!
Last edited by DINGO on Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Post by B DIRT »

Yo Dingo heres my opinion on changing caps..... Honda designed the bike to run at certain temps and changing the cap pressure does two things it moves the temps that honda designed the bike to run at and second if you up the cap pressure like many do your weakening the rest of the system like hoses and plastic tees. Ask yourself what would you rather have happen in the woods 3 hours from home.... puke some coolant and you might have to add some water from your camelback or ..... blow a rad hose?? Just my opinion :bandit: I havent seen a trail tech vapor but if it shows you water temps can you check to see what it might be before it starts puking and maybe set your lights 10-20 degrees before that???
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red
1977 CT90
2008 CRF230L (wifeys)
2003 XR650R (crackbabys)
1999 CR80R (crackbabys)
1972 XL250 (crackbabys)
DINGO

Post by DINGO »

Got the temps from a couple threads I found on CRF's Only. Also saw that a lot of poeple are having the same over-heating issue, and seems like there are as many repsonses on what to do about it. Guess I just need to break out from the slow crowd and keep the bike moving. :roost:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

If you can keep up w/ Bdirt, you should be fine.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Post by B DIRT »

Bucho wrote:If you can keep up w/ Bdirt, you should be fine.
:whoop:

Dingo the offroad models like your x come from honda really lean to pass emission standards, has your bike been rejetted? If it hasnt jetting alittle richer will help with running cooler
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red
1977 CT90
2008 CRF230L (wifeys)
2003 XR650R (crackbabys)
1999 CR80R (crackbabys)
1972 XL250 (crackbabys)
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

Its the age old problem of enduro riders, overheating, the main cause is C riders in my way, old joke

theres a few things to do, first is jetting, richen the mix across the board, even go so fat on the main that it blubbers then back off until it clears up. of course keep the rads clean and clear, some rad guards block air flow, be sure to bleed the air out of the system especially on the head, there are aftermarket fans, the water wetter stuff never did much for me although i used it for several years hopeing it would.

the other thing is to keep moving, most single track i try to ride in second gear, first is basically worthless for anything, click it up that gear and make it happen even in the worse stuff, after a little while it will feel right, the faster you go the less balance you have to worry about, rocks might bouce you all over the place but if your doing 30 mph you are going to go forward down the trail even if its sideways, it will straighten up with a little throttle.

also if you do have to come to a stop for any period of time for whatever reason shut if off, dont let it sit there and cook with no air going through the rads, if you can help it never stop no matter what, just keep moving, period, slipping the clutch a bunch can create some heat too, just sitting there bike running, in gear and clutch in is the worse senario for cooling
DINGO

Post by DINGO »

B DIRT wrote:Dingo the offroad models like your x come from honda really lean to pass emission standards, has your bike been rejetted? If it hasnt jetting alittle richer will help with running cooler
Nope, haven't screwed with the jetting yet. I have to admit that the carb is only item on the bike that I know very little about. I'm a quic learn though. Any suggestions?
DINGO

Post by DINGO »

Hare wrote:theres a few things to do, first is jetting, richen the mix across the board, even go so fat on the main that it blubbers then back off until it clears up. of course keep the rads clean and clear, some rad guards block air flow, be sure to bleed the air out of the system especially on the head, there are aftermarket fans, the water wetter stuff never did much for me although i used it for several years hopeing it would.
Hare, do you have any re-jetting suggestions? The carb is the only thing on the bike that I don't know fully (I want to tear it apart and learn, but have not idea about which jets are which and how and why to adjust them). I have never re-jetted before and would like to learn more about getting the most out of the bike (along with reliability).

I do have rad-guards, which of course are the enemy of air flow. Have thought of using some Engine Ice, but don;t know anyone who is running it right now.