I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

3/18 Goodbye and good riddance to winter ride

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

3/18 Goodbye and good riddance to winter ride

Post by mdubya » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:18 pm

A little documantation of winter's end in Garrett County and WV:

This is what the paved roads of GC look like after the snow melts:

Just up the hill, one of my favorite GC views. The late winter sun is still a bit pale:

The reason for coming this way (aside from the previous view):

About halfway up the hill:

That road terminates at Route 50, near the top of Backbone Mountain. There is a roadside tavern, (Table Rock Inn, I believe) on the far side of Route 50. From Route 50, you would never believe the pathetic little path off the side is an actual road. It is really fun to come tooling along on Route 50, past the tavern, with people hanging out on the porch, drop a few gears and back it in, rear tire howling, and disappear off the side of the road. :roost:

At the WV line, just south of Kempton (that is the town the ADV MD tag guys were most worried about. WF, time to grab that tag and bring it back out here. :lol2: :deal: ). Hill climb anyone?

That road leads past Fairfax Stone, the head spring of the northern branch of the Potomac. And it brings you out to Route 219, a few miles north of Thomas. The next turn off is another little road you would never guess is an actual road as you go by it on 219, aka Rightfork Leadmine Road. It goes back and forth between paved and dirt. There is quite a bit of logging going on along the road these days and the logging trucks have the dirt packed down hard, making for excellent traction. Here is a low water bridge a few miles in:

and looking the other way:

RF Leadmine Road dead ends @ Horseshoe Run Road which continues along the same creek and has some very tasty, narrow pavement. There is a blind turnoff on the right side along the way for Leadmine Mountain Road, which is a real treat and quickly turns into a Forest Service quality road. Here is a photo over a blind rise into a right hander which caught me out a few years back and gave me a case of blurry vision and a nice concussion. Notice the National Forest signage on the right:

...and just over the brow, trying to show a bit of the scenic runoff in the upper middle. It is very pretty right here and my photos don't do justice:

a view up the next stretch:

dual sport tire:

I was stirring up wild life all over the place. I have seen a bear not far from here a few years back and wanted to really look deep into the bare (no leaves, no pun) forest, but the streams of water running down the road required most of my attention. A little higher up Leadmine Mountain Road, trying to show some perspective on the grade and the drop off the side. Awesome view from here and dead silent:

At the end of Leadmine Mountain Road, I took Location Road down to St. George. Then took Holly Meadows Road South. Anyone that has ridden with me out here is familiar with that stretch. However, where I normally bear right, I stayed straight/left forkish on Sugerland Road. Sugarland is one of those bits of road that is 15-20 degrees cooler than everywhere else in the summer as it runs through a tunnel of trees. Here is a little scenery from the creek that runs along side:

Sugarland Road connects with 219 just south of Thomas, where the big overlook pull off is for the huge crazy windmill farm.

I stopped in Thomas to top up with fuel and water, then reversed the route back to where Holly Meadows intersects Horseshoe Run, back up to RH Leadmine Road to 219, where I turned north for Oakland, content with my day. So long winter. Don't come back anytime soon. :salute:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC

Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Re: 3/18 Goodbye and good riddance to winter ride

Post by Wingfixer » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:56 pm

Sweet ride report, give me a heads up before you do it again and I will go with!!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.

mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:50 pm

Wingfixer wrote:Sweet ride report, give me a heads up before you do it again and I will go with!!
That is a pretty standard little loop for me and perfect on the DRZ. Anytime it is in the upper 50's or more, I am up for it. Say when.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:23 am

Nice pics. Looks like a great ride. Can you ride midweek?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Surron UltraBee

Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:28 am

Yeah, like Thursday would be perfect.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.

mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:33 pm

Phil-yes, I can ride mid week, as long as it is not too epic.

Patrick-there is a 40% chance of rain Wed. and Thurs. I am cool with a tentative plan to ride Thursday. But if it is going to be wet, it is not worth it for me to take the time away from work.

My schedule is very flexible, so I pretty much like to arrange it to take the nicest afternoons off for a ride, regardless of the day. Friday looks sunny and clear, high around 59.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:07 pm

My midweek riding also can't be too epic. I have to get the kid off to daycare in the morning and sometimes pick him up in the late afternoon.
But I could probably do either Thurs or Friday.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Surron UltraBee

Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:20 pm

Friday is spoken for for me, a buddy traded in his KLR for a new C14 so I am going to take him on my private 240 mile loop. I am hoping for good weather on Thursday. :roost:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.

21783mike
DAMN Expert

Post by 21783mike » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:16 am

:lurker: I might need to take the wifes Jeep to have the trans worked on Thurs but probably pretty early in the day.... So, most of Thursday is open, Friday is wide open, and all day Sat is open. Plus, I have a buddy who just picked up a KLX650C a few weeks ago who I might be able to get out on Friday if he has the bugs worked out of it by now......
Mike B
08 HYM1100S
08 Raptor 250 SE
06 800SS
87 750 Paso
89 KLR650A
65 H-D M50
64 125 Bronco

Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:55 am

Saturday should also work for me, I think there is a small group going to GR.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.