I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

Mountain bike trails

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Re: Mountain bike trails

Post by Marylander » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:51 pm

I'm too lazy to learn how to ride a bicycle on the kinds of trails I like riding motorcycles on. Maybe an ebike with a throttle would do the trick for the shorter rock gardens.

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:17 am

Marylander wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:51 pm
I'm too lazy to learn how to ride a bicycle on the kinds of trails I like riding motorcycles on. Maybe an ebike with a throttle would do the trick for the shorter rock gardens.
Ha ha!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200

Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:53 am

Marylander wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:51 pm
Well, then you're only a small step from a Sur Ron....just saying.

The bicycles I have aren't really suitable for this kind of riding. I have a couple of hybrids with fork suspension and a cruiser with no suspension but my neighbors and kids have been really getting in to this lately with some nice bikes they let me ride. I was really surprised at how much fun a good bike is to ride on even more challenging trails. I may go looking for something to pedal when the kids get tired of me borrowing their bikes. For now, they're happy to lend me a bike if they can ride the Sur Ron :)
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain

Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:34 am

Twist wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:53 am
Well, then you're only a small step from a Sur Ron....just saying.
Well, a sur ron or similar wouldn't replace bicycling, which I've switched back to for exercise instead of running that I was doing for a long time. I could see getting a sur ron to replace my dirt bike though. I've got a "mild" aneurysm that is making me increasingly nervous about riding my full size dirt bike (actually, it's not the riding that makes me nervous but when I screw up and have to lift it from awkward positions) so a sub 150 lb bike is appealing.
Twist wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:53 am
The bicycles I have aren't really suitable for this kind of riding. I have a couple of hybrids with fork suspension and a cruiser with no suspension but my neighbors and kids have been really getting in to this lately with some nice bikes they let me ride. I was really surprised at how much fun a good bike is to ride on even more challenging trails. I may go looking for something to pedal when the kids get tired of me borrowing their bikes. For now, they're happy to lend me a bike if they can ride the Sur Ron :)
I've got a mountain bike and have ridden it on rocky trails. I get off and run/walk through the little rock gardens though. ;)

smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:45 am

I run 180 cranks on my mtb w/ my long legs (175 is typ the standard). I've bought and built bikes w/ high bottom bracket (more clearance) to make riding in the rocks and roots around here easier. Pedal strikes suck. You can really tell the difference on bikes w/ an addition 20-30mm BB height but it does make the bike feel much taller. If you com from riding dirt bikes the mile-in-the-air seat won't come as a shock.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee

BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:52 am

Just a helpful hint from someone that rides in the ROCKY Frederick Watershed - I have found that shorter cranks (with corresponding lower gearing) dramatically reduces pedal strikes.
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike

Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:39 pm

Marylander wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:34 am
I've got a mountain bike and have ridden it on rocky trails. I get off and run/walk through the little rock gardens though. ;)
I've got this cruiser style bike that's belt drive and has a basket on the front of it. Yeah, I know, it's pretty nerdy and no self respecting guy would be seen on it but that's me - no self respecting guy:

I went out yesterday for what I planned to be only a 10 mile loop - over to a local park, ride the loop around it a couple of times, then back home. So I'm riding along an asphalt path and I see what looks like a pretty well worn and easy path through the woods. Yeah, I'm on a 3 speed cruiser with 60 psi in the tires but what the heck, let's check it out. That trail sucked me in by being easy for the first mile or so. I had to carry the bike over a couple of bogs but the trail was nothing I couldn't ride. But after that, it was an hour and a half of gnarly ruts, rocks, roots, swamps, steep slopes, and at one point on a fast section of trail I DAMN near got gored by a tree.

I'm playing with this app called Relive so here's a link to the ride:

https://www.relive.cc/view/vKv279D3G4O

This was a totally inappropriate place to take that bike and I think I ended up walking/carrying it almost as much as I rode it but for some deranged reason I came home with a big grin and can't wait to get back in there on a more suitable bicycle.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain

Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:16 pm

Wes, you need to come over and take one of my mountain bikes. I have a full suspension Cannondale you can use, or I have a rigid fat tire bike that would work great for ya. I have another MTB that is available for a check out, but you will be hooked if you ride it and well, you'll spend more money! That one is my baby!
Lots of cool bikes---

Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:15 pm

Firebolter wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:16 pm
Wes, you need to come over and take one of my mountain bikes. I have a full suspension Cannondale you can use, or I have a rigid fat tire bike that would work great for ya. I have another MTB that is available for a check out, but you will be hooked if you ride it and well, you'll spend more money! That one is my baby!
I may take you up on that offer before I go and drop that kind of money on a bike. Jeez, these things cost more than a Sur Ron (or a gas powered trials bike!)

Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:01 pm

Twist wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:39 pm
Marylander wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:34 am
I've got this cruiser style bike that's belt drive and has a basket on the front of it. Yeah, I know, it's pretty nerdy and no self respecting guy would be seen on it but that's me - no self respecting guy:

I went out yesterday for what I planned to be only a 10 mile loop - over to a local park, ride the loop around it a couple of times, then back home. So I'm riding along an asphalt path and I see what looks like a pretty well worn and easy path through the woods. Yeah, I'm on a 3 speed cruiser with 60 psi in the tires but what the heck, let's check it out. That trail sucked me in by being easy for the first mile or so. I had to carry the bike over a couple of bogs but the trail was nothing I couldn't ride. But after that, it was an hour and a half of gnarly ruts, rocks, roots, swamps, steep slopes, and at one point on a fast section of trail I DAMN near got gored by a tree.

I'm playing with this app called Relive so here's a link to the ride:

https://www.relive.cc/view/vKv279D3G4O

This was a totally inappropriate place to take that bike and I think I ended up walking/carrying it almost as much as I rode it but for some deranged reason I came home with a big grin and can't wait to get back in there on a more suitable bicycle.
:lol2:

That relive app is cool. :thumbup:

I sometimes end up on gnarly trails at Michaux and carry my mtb for a while. Still a work out.
Bruce