I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

What did you work on today?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: What did you work on today?

Post by Bucho »

Nice!

Heated grips are great. They should be stock on all street bikes.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I've wrapped a thin layer of cork on the left grip to insulate it. Otherwise followed a similar plan.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Pulled the donor engine out today

The nice thing about working on vehicles destined for the scrap yard, no F's given. Oh the crane hits the cowl? Just keep cranking it up, it'll self clearance :lol2:

New vs old

-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Almost done with a custom TV cabinet for my niece's wedding. That's a bank of Solacure UV lamps on the right. I use them to age the cherry.
20220913_075014.jpg
20220913_075014.jpg (3.39 MiB) Viewed 27687 times
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

nice work Ken, cool trick on aging wood.
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Rut Row wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:46 am Almost done with a custom TV cabinet for my niece's wedding. That's a bank of Solacure UV lamps on the right. I use them to age the cherry.

20220913_075014.jpg
Whoa, that looks really nice!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

So this happened today.

I did end up pulling the headers off instead of fighting it. Hopefully I can get them in again. All the studs screwed right out though so I think that makes the job easier.

Settled in its new home. I've had stock replacement engines not drop in as easily as the VK dropped in to this truck

-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

V-bands came in so cut apart the headers/cats and welded them back together. I was more motivated to do this because my welds looked like poo the first time around as I didn't have the proper consumables for this thin tubing. Rectified that and the welds look way better now.

-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Been chugging along on the V8 swap in the Frontier. Started it for the first time over the weekend. After priming the pump it fired right off, so I guess I didn't botch the wiring too bad.

One of the bigger question marks was the anti-theft system in these trucks. The ignition key, ECM, and BCM are all programmed to each other and if they don't all have the same super secret handshake the truck won't start. The 3 choices to fix it are drag the truck to a dealer and get it reflashed to match, send the ECM off to have the anti-theft deleted (~$350), or swap in the Titan key and BCM. I had only found 1 guy who said he did the last option and it was a direct swap. Well I have those parts on hand for no addition cost so swapped them out and it worked perfect.

Frontier vs Titan ignitions. Direct swap. The broken key was the Frontier key.

Got the all the radiator/heater hoses on it and filled it with antifreeze. I had read of folks having a hard time getting all the air out of the system of these trucks so I bought this little contraption to assist. You hook shop air to one side and it pulls a vacuum in the system. Stick the hose in your coolant jug and open the valve and it simply sucks the coolant in. Just keep adding coolant until the vacuum gauge reads 0.

Put the intake/MAF on and ran it up to temp.

To do list:

Finish exhaust/tail pipe hanger

Cooling fan - going electric

E85 related wiring

Tidy up my jumper harnesses.

A/C line at compressor (ordered the wrong one)
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

good job dude. Engine swaps are always a learning curve especially with all of the new electronic systems in most modern cars.
Lots of cool bikes---