I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

What did you work on today?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: What did you work on today?

Post by J&J »

So we made some progress on Jacob’s Mustang over the summer.

Decided to clean up the engine bay, then….

First was the fuel system

We had to run a bigger pump, new return and a regulator.
Then we did a lot of temporary wiring and got it fired up before he went back to college. Woo Hoo!
I’m not really trying to finish it for him while he’s gone but I’ve been trying to figure out how to fit everything in with a clean factory like appearance.

Some coolant tank bracket fabrication

Also made a power steering reservoir bracket and cut the bottom out of the Coyote air box to fit it in. I need to get that mounted in there next. We also figured out how to get all his original gauges working. He will graduate in December so we plan to have this thing on the road in the spring.
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Nice :thumbup:
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

clean looking rebuild :cheers:.
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Picked up a parts truck this weekend. Engine/trans/t-case and suspension are all going in to the Frontier crew I picked up a little bit ago.

Not so bad on this side

Ouch

I was able to reseat the front tire when I got home with some fire. Glad I made the fenders removable.

Used the trailer's winch to pull the rear axle back straight-ish to make it easier to unload.

The truck fires right up still. It would move under its own power but some idiot cut all the cats out and when they did that, they cut out the front driveshaft to make room :dry: (rear shaft was killed in the wreck).
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Nice project Joe :thumbup:
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Welded up the rear bumper for my 4Runner today. It's hanging out in primer until I add on the swing out spare tire carrier. I'll paint both bumpers and the spare tire carrier with some bedliner that I have.

Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

you clearly have fab skills, have you considered selling these. I know Toyota guys that would easily pay $3k+ for something like that and wait up to 9 months to get it.
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

It isn't worth my time to do it for money.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

I hear that! Regardless that's a unique design, equally form vs function :cheers:
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

FINALLY got around to this project. The 701 has super thin and hard grips. I have slightly larger than normal hands(?) and stock off-road grips are always too skinny. My go-to grip is a set of ODI Rogue (dual density) clamp-ons to get both a slightly larger diameter and a little 'squish' for comfort. Only one problem: The 701 is e-gas (throttle by wire) and takes a special throttle tube. :censored: So I suffered through the NEBDR thinking the whole time I should have fixed them. Now that I'm going to ride the Shenandoah 500 w/ it, wont make that mistake again.

I've also wanted heated grips. KTM/Husky make a set for the e-gas but they are also rock hard. The Oxfords aren't compatible w/ the e-gas either, plus they are also thin and rock hard. So I have to glue up my own. Now, I've never had heated grips but many folks say that the left side grip, since its running directly on the aluminum handlebar, doesn't get quite as hot as the right throttle side which has a tube and the resulting plastic and air gap (insulator). Some suggest putting a layer of adhesive heat shrink on the left bar and then install everything over that. So I come up w/ a plan...

1) Buy heater elements: Kimpex 12-170 $40
These draw 50W total at 14V. About the same as the class leading Oxfords. Though the oxfords are thermostatically controlled.
2) Buy TWO pair of ODI Rogue dual density glue-ons. $30
3) sacrifice an old left hand ODI clamp on or buy an ugly pair from ebay. Cut the grip off carefully, preserving the tube. They appear to be molded on, so this took a bit of cutting and sanding. $0-$10
4) Buy spare Husky 701 throttle tube. (27002010000) $25
5) Glue the heater elements to the 701 throttle tube and stripped ODI clamp on tube.
6) Glue the larger ID throttle side grip from each set onto the tubes.
7) Find an ATV guy to give the leftover unused pair of small grips too.

End up w/ a set of e-gas compatible squishy heated grips:
PXL_20220912_191404431.jpg
PXL_20220912_191404431.jpg (252.67 KiB) Viewed 4059 times
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee